Gay Gaming Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Gaming Characters

An interesting article from The Globe and Mail on the gay character in Mass Effect 3.

Is this the first time a major title has a gay character written into it?

In any event, a positive move by BioWare, "Itís also shown that while game culture may be maturing, individual gamers still have a lot of growing up to do."
    sigpic

Re: Gay Gaming Characters

Thank you for posting this in the Sandbox. LOL

I personally feel Bioware takes the whole relationship stuff too far in their games. It's not like people were demanding gay relationships in previous games. If they did, they weren't very vocal. I'm not against Bioware giving players the option, as I think it does illustrate that overall gaming culture is becoming quite tolerant - but sometimes you have to wonder "why"? Who really wanted gay relationships in Mass Effect 3?

A lot of players don't like Bioware's jamming relationships down player's throats.

I think a lot of critics/dissent against Bioware's "gay agenda" (LOL) are just trolls. Good old fashioned trolls.

“What were they thinking? Putting gay scenes into video games?” wrote one Metacritic user. “The homosexual views of this game are very offensive to my Christian beliefs. I think Bioware should be much more aware of how many of their fans are Christians,” wrote another.
    really? All I can do is laugh at this. So this "Christian" chose for his Commander Shepard to be a homosexual and then was shocked "OH MY GOD HE'S GAY? AND HE HAS SEX WITH DUDES?"
    Skud

Comment

Christians use that excuse only when it benefits them. "it is offense to my cristian beliefs!". 5 seconds later he is shooting people, which is also completely against christian ideology.

EDIT: on the topic itself, I have no beef with it. Gay or not, dsnt matter. I think what matters is that people actually care when something like this happens. They put in a gay character, so what? It has no affect on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
        Christians use that excuse only when it benefits them. "it is offense to my cristian beliefs!".
        Actually it depends on what denomination of Christianity one is.

Personally, I hate the entire "relationship" aspect to begin with; I feel it is completely useless and adds very little value to the overall value of the game. One day when I have kids I am not going to want them having romantic relationships in video games and having virtual sex when they are only 12.

Former TG-21st
        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
          Is this the first time a major title has a gay character written into it?
          If we count bisexual, Zevran and Leliana from Dragon Age: Origins were before Mass Effect 3, as was Liara from Mass Effect 1.

I don't really have any opinion either way, but when people complain about it as they did with Anders in Dragon Age 2, or this example from Mass Effect 3 I tend to side against them because their arguments seem to be so much whining.

Regarding the Christian argument: I don't have a problem with gay people in games (or real life), but using "I'm a Christian" as a reason to complain about it is just silly - as Kwalc said, Shepard is hardly a beacon of Christian virtue. I wonder if that Metacritic user would similarly object to Shepard's (hetero)sexual relationships outside of marriage?

Also @MacLeod - it's less to do with one's denomination (although some do specifically prohibit homosexuality) and more to do with the individual's beliefs/feelings on the subject. I consider myself non-denominational though, so perhaps I'm not in the best position to comment on this. :)
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

My opinion on the whole I am offended thing:

I have never played a single second of mass effect so I am not sure of the relationship aspect so I wont comment on that, I will add though that the sims franchise had gay relationships(including "woohoo!") from the sims 1 and gay marriage in the sims 3

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
            The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

It's not forced on you, so why care?

Now, in terms of gay game characters... where do we put Bridget from Guilty Gear?

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Bioware did it first with Dragon Age, though he was really bi-sexual. Your character could be played gay though with, I think, many of the characters regardless of gender.]

On of the most interesting characters though of recent has to be Enchanted Arm's Makoto who is a flamboyantly gay transvestite who has feelings for a supporting character who doesn't reciprocate. The gamers manual goes so far as to say that the main character feels that Makoto is a girl trapped in a man's body. I don't know how far that plot goes in the game, never played it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                  It's not like people were demanding gay relationships in previous games. If they did, they weren't very vocal.
                  You should check out the SWTOR forums, there is a strong same sex desiring group of players for that Bioware game and they've been going strong for a loooong time.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Its reasonable too as Bioware is very willing to do such things (obviously). However, I doubt it will ever happen as Star Wars and same sex relationships are rare, though Bothan + Human relationships are fine... which I think is at least loosely related to furryness.

Oh I need to eat my boot now... a quick google search has brought me this: http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/01/31/st...-old-republic/

Honestly, I can't find any arguement that would go against its place in games. Even if you take the "Its a Choice" approach... well why the hell can't I choose to be gay in a video game? Because some people think its wrong?

Comment

I still stand by my view that this is Mass Effect and Star Wars, not The Sims or Second Life, and as such why even bother having the entire relationship system in the first place.

Former TG-21st
                      Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                        I still stand by my view that this is Mass Effect and Star Wars, not The Sims or Second Life, and as such why even bother having the entire relationship system in the first place.
                        Why does nearly every action film have a romance subplot? John Grizzledpecs invariably falls for Rachael CIA Handler, and, although they have their initial disagreements, they eventually grow very close and consequently work as a more effective team (despite what Probably Fairly Old CIA Operations Chief warned would happen if their relationship ever became anything other than completely professional).

The relationship aspect of the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games is way overplayed anyway - over the course of a thirty-hour game it takes perhaps fifteen minutes of conversation and a 90-second cutscene at the end. Yet people see it as this massive source of controversy and/or a key part of the story.
                        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                          I can't really speak for Mass Effect, never played it, but in Dragon Age... why not? Its not just a game of high adventure and blood and guts... its also about the social interactions of the characters and the progression they all go through together. A virtual "Choose your own adventure book".

Relationships are a natural thing for human beings, hell all social animals, to pursue. Even the act of not pursuing a relationship still in fact creates a relationship between the two people. So whats wrong with a game, specifically a "Role Playing Game", that allows you to play your own actor to the extent you want? For SWTOR, it makes the most sense because that game is effectively the same as Second Life in the MMO social aspect.

This isn't a mindless button masher... this is a story and narrative just as much as an interactive contest... We can read books about murder and sex... but when you put murder and sex in a game? They question "why you put sex in?" Hell what happened to freedom of speech anyways?

Mr. Conservative doesn't have to play as a gay guy if he doesn't want to... heck he could play as the straightest laced monk he wants us all to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                            Its reasonable too as Bioware is very willing to do such things (obviously). However, I doubt it will ever happen as Star Wars and same sex relationships are rare, though Bothan + Human relationships are fine... which I think is at least loosely related to furryness.

Oh I need to eat my boot now... a quick google search has brought me this: http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/01/31/st...-old-republic/

Honestly, I can't find any arguement that would go against its place in games. Even if you take the "Its a Choice" approach... well why the hell can't I choose to be gay in a video game? Because some people think its wrong?
                            Cross species relationships are actually a big deal in the Star Wars universe. In the X-Wing novels, it's given quite a bit of material. It even explores the fact that they could not have children together, therefore they explore adoption.

I don't know... Bioware will do what it wants. I could really care less. If I want to be straight in bioware games, I can be straight. If I want to be homosexual, I can be homosexual. Heck, shouldn't religious folks be celebrating that Bioware is allowing sexuality to be considered a "choice"? Isn't that what many believe homosexuality is in the first place?

Personally I think homosexuality is largely nature with some nurture involved. And maybe, in some situations, choices play a role... but as far as waking up, one day, and "deciding" to be gay? Yeah, I don't think that's how it works. I know Bioware is limited, but they're kinda backwards making it a choice.

Maybe the video game industry could use a good shock and have a triple-A title where the player plays as a homosexual. No choices. Either you play the game, or you do not play the game.
                            Skud

Comment

I think that as a character in the Bioware games, it's a choice of the player to press the button, but from a 'lore' or 'story' point of view, the character was always like that, if it makes sense? Also it may not be a choice feeling the way you do, but it certainly is a choice to act upon it.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X