The Truth About Violent Youth and Video Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth About Violent Youth and Video Games

I found a good article that puts some perspective on all the negative attention (read: lies) that violent games have been receiving lately. Some of the points from the piece:
    • Violent crime among youth is at a record low.
    • More than twenty factors are attributed to violent criminal behavior over violent-media.
    • Everyone is wrongly focused on games and the Media is at fault.
    • The world is going to hell in a hand basket and games are NOT to blame

Okay, so I made up the last one. :) Even though it preaches to the choir here at TG, I think it is worth reading and forwarding along.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: The Truth About Violent Youth and Video Games

nice article, im going to have to print this out and use it in a report sometime. Violent kids are the result of bad parents, if the parents would know what the kids are doing and instill in them the values of right/wrong and fake/reality things would be so much better

again great article
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
      Violent kids are the result of bad parents, if the parents would know what the kids are doing and instill in them the values of right/wrong and fake/reality things would be so much better
      So violent kids are caused by bad parenting, and bad parenting only? There are no other factors?

Evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
        So violent kids are caused by bad parenting, and bad parenting only? There are no other factors?

Evidence?
        Surgeon general has a list of things that contribute:
        http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/librar.../Table_4-1.gif
        (the charts a little weird, the column on the left is kids 6-11, the right is kids 12-14)

There are a lot of factors aside from parenting in there, that have a huge effect. Some things parents just can't prevent, like socioeconomic status.

I like high up being male is :)
        This site was linked to in the article above, the image is taken from http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/librar...ter4/sec1.html

Comment

i dint say that bad parenting was the only thing but its the one major factor in that....also haveing places that sell games to minors and not checking the age requirements on the game doesnt help either.
          the media is a big part of it, they blow everything out of order and make a big deal out of something that could taken care outside of the media.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
            i dint say that bad parenting was the only thing but its the one major factor in that....also haveing places that sell games to minors and not checking the age requirements on the game doesnt help either.
            the media is a big part of it, they blow everything out of order and make a big deal out of something that could taken care outside of the media.
            we do live in a voilent world thats for sure and violent games dont belong in the hands of younger gamers but wat can u really do about that. the way i see it its the parents job to make sure that their kids dont grow up to violent ppl i mean its not the govenments job to tell ppl wat they can buy and wat they can not im sure that alot of ppl out there play theses games and i dont think these ppl go out and act that **** out in real life like the artical said there are so many more factors volence in games play little to no role in that hsit if anythin i think it would help releave the anger cuz u can take it out on other ppl on in the games .

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
            Delta MICS
            Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Right, bad parents make bad children. But there are lots of bad parents out there. So what do we do? Nothing until all the bad children grow up to be bad parents? Arm ourselves for when the bad kids decide they want something we have? Put public school teachers (who seem more and more like Joan Collins and less like...I don't know, Julie Andrews) in charge of raising the children?

I agree that government is not the answer. Oddly, in my lifetime it's always been a Gore or a Clinton running point on trying to get the government to decide what records or games one can buy. Not a very first-amendment-friendly position.

So I like these voluntary industry ratings. It's like when my wife and I get an e-vite to a friend's party. When they say "bring the kids" we know someone's drunk brother won't be telling jokes about anal sex or twisting one up. When they say "no kids please" we know it'll be a good party.

A little hint about the subject matter helps. It should be done as a courtesy to the consumer, not in response to some politician's attention-grabbing crusade.

Comment

^^yup
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X