Changing Patterns of Television Viewing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Patterns of Television Viewing

How have mobile phones, tablet computers, desktop computers, Xboxs and Playstations and other new media changed the way you watch television?

Tell me about your television watching habits -- I am looking for stories on new ways of watching television and new content sources that are replacing or supplementing television in your life (and your friends/family).

This is all part of my next book about the online television audience.

Thank you for your time!

Dr. Strangelove (aka E-Male)
    sigpic

Re: Changing Patterns of Television Viewing

I don't even have a television here. I get all my news, vids, shows from the internet. And my dvd's and such I play through my pc aswell because my screen is big enough to serve the purpose. This is the first time in my life without a tv and I do not miss it. Plus it takes away an excuse not to study.

Comment

HBO GO and Showtime Anytime have eliminated my need to use an actual TV. As a Guy who spends 5 days a week on the road I use these new forms of on demand media for my entertainment. Their just a HDMI cable away.

sent from the phone using magic
      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Thanks Kwalc and Portable.Cougar!

Cougar, would you mind provide some more details on how you access HBO GO and Showtime Anytime -- phone? iPad? Laptop? Do you supplement this content with other sources of video from the Internet?
        sigpic

Comment

I use a laptop connected to the TV via HDMI.

A large ammount of my viewing is through YouTube subscriptions. The channel "Drive" on YouTube has daily 30 min episodes. Sometimes 2 to 4 a day. I never miss an episode of theirs. There are several other channels that I subscribe to.

My dream is to have a steam like system where I can purchase content and have it stored on their clowd. Something where I can buy current television shows and movies for a lower price. The current options like Hulu and Netflix do not offer programs in real time. It would be nice to he able to buy a season pass of a show and have it ready for you to watch when it "airs".

sent from the phone using magic
          doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

At home we have Sky+, so we generally record stuff and watch it later. We also have a Lovefilm subscription so we watch a lot of films through that. We usually watch something together each evening, either something that we've recorded from TV or a DVD/Blu-Ray.

At uni I don't have a TV, so I watch stuff through BBC Iplayer, ITV Player, 4 On Demand (4oD) et cetera. I also use Sky Go on my laptop to watch Game of Thrones (the only series on TV I'm interested in at the moment). In addition while I'm away I can access the NAS at home via the internet (obviously when at home I can do the same over the network, although I'd generally use the television instead of my computer), so I occasionally watch things that we've ripped from DVD/Blu-Ray onto that.

Games haven't really replaced TV for me. When I was in primary school and the early years of secondary school I'd usually watch TV for an hour or two when I got home, but that gradually got replaced by games as I outgrew the usual afternoon kids' programmes. My viewing habits (as described above) have remained largely unchanged since I was about 12 or 13.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I pretty much don't watch television.

I got Netflix for my 360 back in early 2010. I have since sold my 360 and use the unlimited streaming via computer. When I want to watch from bed I have an 8 foot HDMI cable going from my PC to my 40" television. I've watched several TV series in this manner.

I use hulu for a few shows - like the office.

I torrent many shows that I cannot watch legitimately. Even though I watch quite a few current shows, I don't have a DVR and due to my work and sleep schedule it's inconvenient. So I'm a dirty pirate.

I like services like Netflix and Hulu because I largely am not subjected to a barrage of advertisements.
              Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                I pretty much don't watch television.

I got Netflix for my 360 back in early 2010. I have since sold my 360 and use the unlimited streaming via computer. When I want to watch from bed I have an 8 foot HDMI cable going from my PC to my 40" television. I've watched several TV series in this manner.

I use hulu for a few shows - like the office.

I torrent many shows that I cannot watch legitimately. Even though I watch quite a few current shows, I don't have a DVR and due to my work and sleep schedule it's inconvenient. So I'm a dirty pirate.

I like services like Netflix and Hulu because I largely am not subjected to a barrage of advertisements.
                I am basically the same way.
                Viking

Comment

I don't watch TV, unless it's a documentary on something I'm interested in... although last time I tried to watch something, my TV didn't pick up the signal. Living in the back of beyond sucks.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

A year ago, my roommate and I watched Netflix on his XBox 250. We had a tradition of celebrating Fridays by watching two episodes of Psych or Futurama.

Now, I'm pretty into the Starcraft 2 eSports scene. I generally don't watch commented replays, even though they have some insights I don't have (such as player backgrounds, importance of this specific match, etc). I download replay packs from my favorite players and events, deleting bad replays and saving exciting/unique ones.

I also downloaded some of TG-3rds Battlefield 3 scrims using some website. They're saved on a portable harddrive until I can watch them when I travel mid-Summer. I watched two of them - good job guys!

I watch it on a ~3year old laptop. While I can watch replays anywhere, I turn the graphics settings to bare-minimum. Even though I can easily afford a new computer, I place higher priority on hoarding money/programming than I do on spending/gaming.

As a side-note, Twitch.tv also exists. While no one I know uses it, I think it's popular. It's a website that lets people watch gamers play live.

Where can I find your books?
                    Without teamwork, you'll never survive.
                    Without betrayal you'll never win.

Comment

Originally posted by Fruvous View Post

Where can I find your books?

Thank you all for the replies -- helpful insights.

My two most recent books are

The Empire of Mind and Watching YouTube.

If all goes will my next book will be out in late 2013.
                      sigpic

Comment

Same, I don't watch TV.

I use BBC iPlayer a lot, and Sky GO which is like your own Hulu etc. I also stream and download content that is of......questionable legality. I would happily pay for these but due to stupid copyright conditions I am unable to, instead I am forced to wait up to 1 year for the show to become available here, so I simply what on my schedule, not when some out of touch guy behind a desk decides I can watch.

I also use a media PC now, which is the ideal on demand answer. I purchased a Raspberry Pi this week and once it turns up I will be showing my parents how to use XMBC on their iPhone and TV so they can interact with that. They are of the old generation, watching what is on while also complaining about the fact they have seen it 15 times before. I never understood that logic, but now I will be able to try and change their habits.

For news and information I have online sources so again nothing is needed.

Lastly my phone is key, I can hook it up to any TV with a HDMI cable and profit if I am on the move, I don't even need a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                          I also stream and download content that is of......questionable legality. I would happily pay for these but due to stupid copyright conditions I am unable to, instead I am forced to wait up to 1 year for the show to become available here, so I simply what on my schedule, not when some out of touch guy behind a desk decides I can watch.
                          Quoting this because I'm not sure our North American comrades know our pain. I'm currently waiting for Adventure Time series 1, and Community series 2 (both first shown on TV in 2010) to be released on DVD over here. Cue widespread shock as I decide I can't be bothered to wait two-and-a-half years and torrent the lot.
                          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

OK i'll try to be nice:

I hate TV, I hate the commercials that they force into our brains, I hate most of the popular tv shows (reality crap, dansing-singing stuff), since there is no sign of any intelligence whatsoever.
                            I do like some series tho, but only without the commercials. I watch most (90%) of it via my PC. Especially a lot of BBC documentaries about nature and what not.

Comment

I got rid of my cable tv last month, I never watched it and when i did it was for documentaries that Isoon realized I had already seen, or was just a rehashing of the same information i had gotten from other documentaries, no new content ever it seemed like.

I got hulu plus and hbo go to replace it for much cheaper and am far happier. I have downloaded shows for a while, even those I could get on cable tv because I watch them at work and trying to stream over cell net is impossible and eats bandwith like none other, so i download at home onto a usb stick and watch at work.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                              The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X