KickStarter Project - Ground Branch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KickStarter Project - Ground Branch

It's early and I haven't searched..but my TG "gut" tells me this has been posted before.. But I find myself trying to fund any of these Tactical Shooters I can find on Kickstarter... from some of the folks that brought you Rogue Spear... Comes GROUND BRANCH.....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../ground-branch

Pear..
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: KickStarter Project - Ground Branch

To be honest, I am very glad somebody is looking to revive the classic genre...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I hate to be the debbie downer here, but only 33% of gaming related kickstarters get off the ground.

I'm not opposed to this project, or kickstarters in general, but I'm not a fan of the trend right now where devs pop up and make promises in pursuit of funding. I wish a big name publisher would help fund these devs, but that's probably not going to happen. And asking potential customers to do it is really not my cup of tea.
        Skud

Comment

Wait Ground Branch? I thought they were finishing off dev? Weren't these the same guys that was featured in a PC Gamer article a few years back (from like 2009-ish)? The dev studio here even has the same name (Blackfoot Studios).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I glanced the pitch, and honestly it sounds so much like the pitch for the new mohaa series or similar. In fact I re-read, and it is almost identical.

THe problem with this kind of pitch is that it attracts many FPS fans, from a COD4 kiddie to an ARMA2 fan. "Realism" and "immersion" can mean such different things to the community, that even if the devs do things well, then the community will likely push them somewhere stupid.

Duke Nukem forever had possibly a better sales pitch :p.

PS: "Ground branch"? Who made that name? A random word generator? Episode two is called "Sky bird", three "Aquatic river" etc.?

PPS: "NO SERVER-SIDE "CLASS" RESTRICTIONS" that might be a problem. In conjunction to that I do not hear anything about command structure. The devs seem to react against the latest FPS fails (cod, dual wielding,...) but do they really know how to build what they are envisioning? From the pitch I would bet no.

Aaaand another post script :p, what laziness leads to!
            -most of the features are actually in RO2 (different historical setting) and RO2 is built on the exact same engine. THey should make a mod for RO2= much, much cheaper.

Comment

Al the interesting parts, for me at least, is the attention to detail as regards weapons, weapons handling, animations etc such as stepping out of cover. Plus if you go to their site you will see lots of cool features, for example I received this email today, little details but hey, shows they are listening

Ground Branch has a DRM-Free version, and supports Offline play!

Some of our community has expressed interest in being able to play the game, independent of Steam. We are pleased to announce that, every backer of Ground Branch, will now have the choice!

We will be providing two executables:

1. A Steam Release (which uses Steamworks for online features such as matchmaking, VOIP and Mod Distribution through the SteamWorkshop) and...

2. A DRM-Free version of the game, which can be played without an internet connection, and used for gamers with LAN-only setups or that want to play the solo portions of Ground Branch without connecting to the internet.

Both versions are free of install limits, and we are not using services like SecuROM. The Steam version can be used for offline LAN as well, but must use Valve's "Offline Mode" if you plan to be without a connection. Either way, all current and future backers have access to both, in the event that they need to be away from the internet! This is great news, if you're deployed, or just want to more easily host a LAN party and play our game!

Gamespy is no longer being considered.
              There will be full multiplayer (objective-based TvT, PvP) and core single player/co-operation gameplay (e.g. terrorist hunt against bots) from the start. An intricate full-scale SP/Co-Op campaign and advanced AI will be added (Free to KS minimum reward backers and up) after release.
              Objective based play other than capture a notional 50m of ground and stand there till the buzzer sounds grabbed me as well. That mechanic is fine as a game metaphor but it is nice to see someone bringing actual objectives back.

Players will learn to respect the lethality and versatility of firearms as death can come quick and health does not regenerate. You are then encouraged to join a team, in order to test your strategies and abilities against other groups or clans. Map design is non-linear, featuring randomized objectives and spawns, so that no two rounds feel identical.
              Once players have perfected their loadouts, they can save and name their customized settings for later use. Ground Branch is about player choices and realistic consequences.
              It may not be the perfect game yet, nor does the design template suit everyones tastes. For example this is clearly not going to cater to very large players numbers, so people complaining it's not combined arms are basically complaining their cat is not a dog.

I see how they could have made an RO2 mod, in the sense that it uses the same engine. Trouble is they are already struggling for backers and its not like RO2 was a roaring success, a lot of people bought it and now nobody plays it sadly. Not sure hitching their product to that particular wagon is going to do them any favours.

Your comparison of sales pitches ignores the fact that MOH/COD arcade games use the "realism and immersion" terms to legitimise and authenticate the arcade experience to the widest possible audience, basically they lie. These guys are using the same terms because that's what they actually mean, it genuinely appears they are trying to cater to that market. Do a bit of research on the site and you will see lots of cool stuff they are trying to deliver. You can't criticise someone because they appear to be using a term correctly when so many others have used it falsely. Furthermore so what if 'arcade' game players buy it, why shouldn't they. A potentially good studio get's more money, maybe Activision loses a couple of customers lol, good.

Comment

I do hope they make a good good game by all means, and I'm certainly willing to pay for a good game. I have just gotten so sceptical about marketing over the years. I haven't looked in detail at the features, I will have a look.

THe thing is to me there are certain developement choices that I think can make or break a game. An example relating to this game would be: Is the game multiplayer (possibly with single player bots as after thought like in BF2),
                or single player, or is it trying to do both?

On various other dev choices that seem essential they have made a choice that comforts me;
                -command structure and fitting comms tools
                -real weapon physics

In comparison to RO2; I do think a modern combat setting may be popular. But many limitations that I think scare people away from RO2 must also be in this game due to the engine:
                -very small maps
                -no cutting edge visuals ----> this is a big one that will turn off many people.

Well. I really hope my sceptiscism is unwarranted. I desperately want them to prove me wrong, as the freaking games industry has been on a meth binge the last years, it's teeth are falling out and no one wants to clean them up because all the mexicans have self-deported thanks to Romney Mittens.

Comment

Oh on many fronts I agree Al, I am just trying so hard to suppress my natural scepticism and remember when I had hope every time a game was released that promised to be "Everything you are looking for blah blah". Basically formula wise this clearly is going to be Rainbow Six (the originals not the new console ones lol) type title. I have watched a lot of the Ground Branch vids and they seem to be emphasising the realism, planning, thinking. It won't be massively multi player, it isn't combined arms and it won't be style over substance as ironically the more vacuous a title the more money you have to spend, that frippery doesn't come cheap.

The great thing is it doesn't need to be any of those things, the market already has them. Granted combined arms could always do with more titles etc but a proper thinking man's tactical shooter is rarer than rocking horse [email protected]

Thy are miles off their target for funds so perhaps they won't get there this time but hopefully the reaction has been enough to spur them on to keep trying. They have said somewhere they will release everything for the modding community, will have full dedicated server support etc, they are trying to do things right.

Remember this

As for graphics I agree to some degree, afterall I love my pretty but this doesn't look bad at all for Pre-Alpha

Last edited by Wicks; 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Looks great. I have backed it.
                    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                    Former ARMA Admin
                    Former ARMA TGU instructor
                    Former TGU Headmaster
                    Current Noob
                    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                      PS: "Ground branch"? Who made that name? A random word generator? Episode two is called "Sky bird", three "Aquatic river" etc.?
                      Probably not related, but the only two places I've ever heard or seen "ground branch" being used is: A) in the British spy drama "Spooks" to refer to the SAS and other special forces teams attached to MI5; and B) in a Wikipedia article on the CIA's SAD (Special Activities Division). Perhaps these guys borrowed from one of these two places?
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The group portrayed in 'Ground Branch' is the CIA's paramilitary Special Activities Divison. The same one Mike Spann was a member of when he lost his life in the Qala-i-jhangi fort uprising in Afghanistan. British SBS were involved and caught on camera in a ferocious firefight. Incredible footage.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                          The group portrayed in 'Ground Branch' is the CIA's paramilitary Special Activities Divison. The same one Mike Spann was a member of when he lost his life in the Qala-i-jhangi fort uprising in Afghanistan. British SBS were involved and caught on camera in a ferocious firefight. Incredible footage.
                          There we go, we now know where "Ground Branch" came from. :D Thanks Wicks!
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X