X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why they hate us

Just saw this in the WSJ online:

Why They Hate Us
    The Scotsman has an explanation for the murder in Iraq of journalist Steven Vincent. See if you can finish this sentence:

An American journalist who was shot dead in Basra last week was executed by Shiite extremists who . . .

. . . had been worn down by grinding poverty?

. . . were angry over Israel's treatment of Palestinian Arabs?

. . . resented the presence in their country of foreign troops?

. . . sought to avenge the abuses at Abu Ghraib?

If you said any of the above, you're wrong. Here's the full sentence:

An American journalist who was shot dead in Basra last week was executed by Shiite extremists who knew he was intending to marry his Muslim interpreter, it has emerged.

That's right, Steven Vincent was killed to prevent him from intermarrying. Those Westerners who side with the "Iraqi resistance" against America and its allies are defending the equivalent of the murder of Emmett Till.
    Wow.

Re: Why they hate us

So every person the insurgents have murdered so far have been killed because they intended to intermarry?

Nice example of a report taking a an isolated incident and blowing it way out of proportion to support an alterior motive.

Anyway, interesting find.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

No and I'm sure that not ever black man who was strung up by a Mississippi mob in the 60s was innocent. Still, you have to consider the side you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
        No and I'm sure that not ever black man who was strung up by a Mississippi mob in the 60s was innocent.
        That statement makes me cringe.

Anyway, I'm glad the story reported why the journalist was killed. It should have stopped right there, but instead went on with an irresponsible statement. They might as well have said, "And before they killed him, the insurgents kicked a kitten. So if you don't completely hate the insurgents, then you completely support animal abuse."

Bad journalism. How about just presenting the facts, and letting me decide for myself what to think?

In any case, it's a shame to hear another person died due to someone else's close-mindedness.
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Still, you have to consider the side you choose.
          life is not black and white... there is no such thing as absolute evil or good. If you take a side you also accept to be evil and good at the same time.

I agree with Tarpan. Putting a title like "Why They Hate Us" and then reporting a single incident is totally cheap and idiotic ! "They" represent millions of people.

Comment

It's sort of an op-ed section - it takes reported stories and comments on them. The Scotsman reported, the WSJ guy interpreted.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar
              life is not black and white... there is no such thing as absolute evil or good. If you take a side you also accept to be evil and good at the same time.
              The older I get the more I disagree with this. There are lots of things that are black and white.

Comment

The older I get the more I disagree with this. There are lots of things that are black and white.
                And the older I get, the more I agree with it :)

One of my favorite quotes:

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so
                Shakespeare

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                  Bad journalism. How about just presenting the facts, and letting me decide for myself what to think?
                  Yeah...and which major network/newspaper does THAT?

Agendas Abound!

Dirt013
                  Dirt013

Comment

LOL me too. And thinking about it why is it not black and white? Let's put it to the test in another thread...
                    Jex.

Comment

i see what you did there.

Comment

I agree that the conclusions made by the journalist are.. well somewhat stretched let's say to put it diplomatically. I agree Tarpan that the media should only tell the facts, but this is no different a point than me complaining about the media putting a spin on the guy that died after 50 hours of video gaming. They paid scant attention to all of the facts to try and place a story that would get attention / support their point.

The main problem I think I have with how the author here presents his case is in making two assumptions based upon absolutes (that he didn't mention). The first is that everyone in the "Iraqi resistance" against America hates them racially and not for what they have done.. The second is that if you share in one ideal of a person you must share in all of their ideals.

Now I'm not trying to put any interpretation upon those two premesis. They may be true, they might not. But they are not valid (to use logical jargon).

Comment

i also think you have a problem when press gives an opinion, although as i see it this person is making an opinion based on another report therefore it is not new, news and he is free to have an opinion.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Those Westerners who side with the "Iraqi resistance" against America and its allies
                            This implies that all anti-war protesters are signing up to al quieda and singing the praises of jihad. It is also yet another case of this "more American than thou - with us or against us" attitude which is so unproductive. It is possible to empathise with with the Iraqi insurgents and still abhor the murder they commit.
                            Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

The "more american than thou - with us or against us " is far, far more productive than the "let's seek to understand the insurgents" who behead...pretty much anyone they can get their hands on who isn't Iraqi or one of them, and blow up children in line to get candy.

It is certainly possible to empathise with these characters while abhoring the murder they commit, but it's pretty stupid. I mean, I guess you can dig Michael Jackson's music while having a problem with his penchant for little boys, but the man's got talent? What are these guys good at other than killing the occasional GI and hordes of women and children? What are they offering Iraq?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X