The Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Internet

How much longer will the internet be "free''? I came across this and found the UN is busy at it's behind the scenes world control; http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/te...mmit-1C7276578

Re: The Internet

I'm as far from the definition of a conspiracy theorist as one can get, but you hit on something that is going to be a global issue as politics and culture change.

Good link, Chief.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
      I came across this and found the UN is busy at it's behind the scenes world control;
      Uh huh. The UN is not a political body and it has no power beyond the aggregate power of a nation's word. The concept that the UN is going to try and control the world is a bit out of right field. Specifically considering that the UN, is again, only an aggregate of many nations who have very different opinions on certain subjects.

Taken from the article:

Two leaked Russian proposals say nations should have the sovereign right "to regulate the national Internet segment." An August draft proposal from a group of 17 Arab countries called for transmission recipients to receive "identity information" about the senders, potentially endangering the anonymity of political dissidents, among others.

A U.S. State Department envoy to the gathering and Cerf agreed with Touré that there is unlikely to be any drastic change emerging from Dubai.

"The decisions are going to be by consensus," said U.S. delegation chief Terry Kramer. He said anti-anonymity measures such as mandatory Internet address tracing won't be adopted because of opposition by the United States and others.

"We're a strong voice, given a lot of the heritage," Kramer said, referring to the U.S. invention and rapid development of the Internet. "A lot of European markets are very similar, and a lot of Asian counties are supportive, except China."

The vast majority of the people of this world want a free internet and I really don't see anything in this article that lends credence to your OP.

=====

I'm less worried about a UN-take over and I'm MORE worried about a corporate takeover. The telecommunications law of 1996 broke open the flood gates of out television broadcasts and allowed for huge corporations to amass power over the television resulting in a largely "Lowest Common Denomenator" homogenized broadcast. Disney is a key example. Newscorp is as well.

What I'd be worried about is that the Internet would be grabbed by corporate influence... and we've seen such attempts happen on our very soil. As the US goes so too would the world.

Comment

I've seen some things during the course of my career that lead me to believe that this will become an issue. Net Neutrality is peanuts compared to the possibilities for control in nations other than our own. I agree with you that the UN has the the same kind of influence that the Better Business bureau does, but there are some companies that control a VAST amount of data.

Do you remember when LEVEL 3 used to control AS1? As government services transist to a more data specific and security centralized model, the urge to control will arise as well.

I don't think it will actually happen, but I do believe there will be silent wars over it.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

The UN is bad news bears. Agenda 21. Familiarize yourselves with it, gents.

This combined with a UN "Weapons Treaty" would completely destroy the American way of life.
          Skud

Comment

Agenda 21

Hmm I think this, and the UN as a whole, is a topic separate from Internet freedoms; though it is certainly an interesting topic. That being said... why is any international treaty organization bad news bears? Why is their some myth perpetuated by intelligent people (who assuredly know they speak lies) that the UN's army will come knocking on the USA's door if XYZ is allowed to be discussed in a completely non-binding way?

Yeah... I'd love to get into that then... assuming the shelf life of the Climate Change thread and this one are short.

Comment

So you think single world government is a good idea?
              Skud

Comment

That is a totally alien concept that appears to have sprung up from no where. No where did I bring up any idea of a single world government.

The UN is not a government and has no ability of being one.

Though, on a theoretical stand point... I'll pose a question: "In a world of limited resources would you rather competing nations seeking their own self interest at any cost to others or nations unified towards a mutual self interest?"

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                  So you think single world government is a good idea?
                  We are going to have to at some point. Countries will need to work more like a cohesive unit rather than a bunch of individual states, able to see the good in each other and work together towards a common goal. Either that or form a federation of sorts.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I like how the crazy conspiracy theory about the UN being this 'super government in waiting' has the GOP in the US Senate afraid to ratify a treaty about Rights For Disabled Persons. Rick Santorum said the treaty would 'Erode US sovereignty'.

Funny thing is that George H. W. Bush ratified the sweeping civil rights reforms that now grant us braille on our ATMs; ramps to our buildings; stooping buses that accommodate both seniors and the disabled. Its absurd that a treaty that would change no laws at our home, that a treaty that was modeled after our great reforms in the early 90's, a treaty that would tell the world that "The United States is a leader in fighting for the rights of all people"...

That a LAWYER, a man who KNOWS that UN TREATY would not impact our NATIONAL LAWS, used a good cause, a cause that would help our soldiers who were maimed in the wars they fought for us, used this concept of a "EVIL UN BENT ON WORLD DOMINATION" as a justification for the US to shy away from leading one the fronts of rights for all men.

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                      We are going to have to at some point. Countries will need to work more like a cohesive unit rather than a bunch of individual states, able to see the good in each other and work together towards a common goal. Either that or form a federation of sorts.
                      Strangely enough not a huge fan of the notion of one world government. Unless it is run by a Northern Irishman. But then God invented Whiskey so we wouldn't rule the world. So, nope, not a fan!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X