Breaking the Taboo on drug policy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking the Taboo on drug policy.

This excellent documentary has recently come out detailing the global drug problem. The war on drugs has failed, is the only option left know to legalize drugs?

sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Re: Breaking the Taboo on drug policy.

Drug addiction is a medical issue, not something that can be punished away. I support Decriminalization, although marijuana legalization's effects have yet to be seen here in the states. It seems to work out alright. I'm not a fan of legalizing every single drug, so I think the focus should be on decriminalizing up to personal amounts. I don't personally agree with the sentiment that things like marijuana should be taxed and regulated, because then the feds will just use that money to fund bull**** instead of using the money to help addicts.

Securing the ports and borders seems like a more logical way to help ease the illegal drug trafficking, but I seem to be alone in that opinion. The issue is not really the drugs themselves, but the violence of cartels and international criminal syndicates.

Non-violent offenders on drug charges don't deserve time in hardened prisons. Ever. Our penal system only feeds the never ending cycle of violence and tax payer abuse.
    Skud

Comment

I by and large agree with Skud here. I, however, do think taxation/regulation would need to be considered. Most 'excise' or 'sin' taxes are local taxes as far as I know. Now how they can be advertised, sold, and consumed should also be regulated. We don't allow public drunkenness and like wise I doubt we'd accept public 'stonedness'. We allow alcohol to be advertised on TV but not cigarettes, what would happen with the decriminalized drugs?

I am against the legalization of ALL substances. Physiologically addictive substances of certain levels should not be marketed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
        We don't allow public drunkenness and like wise I doubt we'd accept public 'stonedness'.
        Yes we do, sports events, concerts, Mardi Gras, etc. all allow intoxication in public without more crime than normally occurs in groups that large. Plus, people who get drunk and are violent are already breaking laws about being violent...

History has shown that we can't secure the border, prohibition doesn't work on alcohol or other drugs, and that education is the only successful way to combat abuse and crime. Just legalize all drugs and regulate them like alcohol with education and we can all move on with our lives in a happy society where growing a plant doesn't mean life in prison.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
          Yes we do, sports events, concerts, Mardi Gras, etc. all allow intoxication in public without more crime than normally occurs in groups that large. Plus, people who get drunk and are violent are already breaking laws about being violent...

History has shown that we can't secure the border, prohibition doesn't work on alcohol or other drugs, and that education is the only successful way to combat abuse and crime. Just legalize all drugs and regulate them like alcohol with education and we can all move on with our lives in a happy society where growing a plant doesn't mean life in prison.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_intoxication

While I consider myself socially conservative I do believe we have a right to limit and regulate citizens who are intoxicated. Now you are right that my statement was very broad and in the literal sense not true, however, while its not explicitly a crime against being 'drunk' we do, and rightfully so, punish those who when drunk are a danger to the public area. If this is drunk and belligerent, drunk and erratic, or drunk and operating machinery we DO punish people.

Comment

From your link, it isn't just the intoxication that matters but also being disorderly, meaning both drunk and a nuisance to others. Drunk people in public aren't arrested for being drunk until they are bothering someone else or in a dangerous situation (driving, harassing, etc.) or the cops are really, really bored.

Drinking 5 beers at a football game and being drunk doesn't matter until you start a fight or urinate on the guy sitting next to you. Being drunk isn't the reason for legal intervention.

I think anyone who is a danger to others, intoxicated or not, should be punished and it already is.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X