No announcement yet.

To Texans' dismay, feds deny additional aid after fertilizer plant explosions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Texans' dismay, feds deny additional aid after fertilizer plant explosions

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/12/politi...ema/index.html

Can I stop paying taxes this year?

Re: To Texans' dismay, feds deny additional aid after fertilizer plant explosions

That's what you guys get for wanting to secede from the union. :-)

I guess that explosion just wasn't big enough for FEMA.

Comment

Re: To Texans' dismay, feds deny additional aid after fertilizer plant explosions

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
      I guess that explosion just wasn't big enough for FEMA.
      You mean this little ol' thing?

Yes, that's a real pic of the actual explosion and not a nuclear test.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
        You mean this little ol' thing?

Yes, that's a real pic of the actual explosion and not a nuclear test.
        Yeah, thats my point. How much death and destruction needs to happen before FEMA gets involved? They must have decided it wasn't enough, so I wonder what their criteria is?

Comment

Red state/Blue state BS. Should be NO politics in disasters.
          Sarcoma.

Comment

It says additional money... The federal government has given over $5 million already and tens of millions in insurance money coming. It isn't as if nothing is being done. Maybe they could sue the chemical company. Looking briefly at the Wikipedia page about the disaster, it seems the company has been pretty lax concerning security and safety.

It is always nice top have more help though.

PS: It seems a bit silly to immediately make this political.
            Last edited by DaViking; 06-15-2013, 07:07 PM.
            Viking

Comment

I have no idea why this is considered political. Its a small scale disaster that has already seen a ton of federal aid. This isn't a natural disaster; its man made one caused by terribly terribly unsafe business practices and way too laxed government regulation.

To be frank I don't know why Texas is so cheap about it and why its being made into a federal affair:

It's not unusual for FEMA to turn down that level of assistance for emergencies not stemming from natural disasters. In 2010, for example, officials denied a request for millions in aid after a gas pipeline explosion that consumed a Northern California neighborhood.

Some funds would be available in West through insurance pay outs and because it believes the state or the municipality has the resources to cover the costs, among other things, agency spokesman Dan Watson said in a statement.

Individuals can still receive rental assistance and some funds for rebuilding, and the state can appeal for more public assistance but some programs for individuals will not be made available, he said.

But Muska said the rural community of 2,800 people cannot cover the costs of the repairs, and doesn't believe that the state will provide enough money on its own. He estimated the cost of those repairs at about $57 million, including $40 million to rebuild schools that were destroyed or damaged when the West Fertilizer Co. blew up in April.
              http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3428743.html

Its not Moore, its not the Jersey Shore, its not New York City, its not New Orleans. It was a man made disaster and the money is going to come from, like always, the people who are responsible. Not like the federal government had to pay the damages caused by Deep Water Horizon or the Tar Sands spill in whatever suburb that they covered it up.

Sounds like its on Texas to pay for the costs. Which, imo, sounds about right; we are a union and this is a state matter. If poor government and bad business causes a local problem its on you guys. Really its just a way for that racist governor to act indignant while he's actually the one short changing West.

So let me ask you, and right now I'm mad because I had to remember that dumb man's name so I apologize for my tone, what are you going to do about Texas not giving West support here?

Edit:

Seriously. Its not a Major Disaster.

And this IS being made into a political stunt.

Post Edit Edit:

A picture that wont embed.

http://media.nbcdfw.com/images/654*382/166922940.jpg

Its down right ridiculous and insulting to try and compare a demolished school due to human errors and something like the devastation at Moore or what is currently on going in Colorado. Shame on you.

I'm not forgetting the tragic loss of life here but that is not what defines a Major Disaster and is not under FEMA's domain.
              Last edited by Ytman; 06-15-2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

If it were a fertilizer plant on the south side of Chicago it would be major. Go ahead....go ahead and say it wouldn't be. It was major enough for the prez to stand in front of those people and run his mouth about how much help they would get while the spotlight was on him.

When was the last time a president visited a non-major incident in it's aftermath?

Comment

And if it blew up two miles away from any residential location it wouldn't be anything more than a terrible explosion. The point is that FEMA deals largely with Natural Disasters and that Obama has NOTHING to do with whether or not FEMA considers the incident in West worthy of more federal aid.

Don't parse words; major-incident does not equate to FEMA Major Disaster. If it did then the Newton would be covered and that school, which I believe is being demolished, would have a brand new school built by the Feds. The point here is does the incident fall under FEMA's domain as a Major Disaster, and frankly the Feds did give money and aid to West.

Seriously,
                  But Muska said the rural community of 2,800 people cannot cover the costs of the repairs, and doesn't believe that the state will provide enough money on its own. He estimated the cost of those repairs at about $57 million, including $40 million to rebuild schools that were destroyed or damaged when the West Fertilizer Co. blew up in April.
                  The damages are all within the bounds of the Texas government and it is ridiculous to act all indignant and as if Obama himself is treating Texas poorly when this is par course the job of FEMA. Its Rick Perry who is utilizing this as a political stunt instead of saying: "FEMA is not meant to treat criminal or negligent damages of this scale, Texas will stand by West!" but no its turned into a politicized jab as if our President has the legal rights to create a Czar for West, Texas. If you ultimately have a problem its a problem with FEMA and how it doesn't provide enough Federal Monies. Or how stingy Rick Perry is about providing West, Texas support.

The damages will be covered I hope, insurance, Texas state government, and lawsuits.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X