Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Contracts (Politics)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/10/sprj.iraq.list/index.html

France and Germany have reacted angrily to news that they are not on a U.S. list of countries eligible to compete for contracts for Iraqi reconstruction.
    Blah

Lets see....

A) You refused to participate in removing a corrupt leader from power, instead wanting to maintain trade relations and "contain" him from hurting anyone outside the borders of Iraq (little concern for those that actually live inside the borders)

B) You refused to help defray any of the costs associate with said removal.

C) You refused to contribute money for the Iraqi people to rebuild their nation after SH was removed and a democratic government/Constitution is being established by the people living in Iraq.

Now all of a sudden, when American money is being used to rebuild Iraq, you want to "help"?

To think us Americans had to listen to criticism about our motives......

Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's chief spokesman Bela Anda said: "That would not be acceptable for the German government. And it wouldn't be in line with the spirit of looking to the future together and not into the past."
    Just like Germany, France, and Russia are not looking into the past and instead looking to help Iraq in the future?

*cough* outstanding debt caused by SH that you expect the Iraqie citizens to pay for *cough*

Just to show you that the behavior we are always accused of by these nations, they are no better than we are

very nice
    New to TG?

Comment

yeah.. we bombed the crap out of it, only we should get to rebuild it at a profit!

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/10/sprj.irq.contracts/index.html

Russia's Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said Russia was categorically against attempts to bar countries from the process of rebuilding Iraq.

Ivanov, visiting Berlin, said that "the rehabilitation of Iraq is the world community's common cause."

"Those countries which are prepared to assist in Iraq's post-war rehabilitation must have all opportunities to do so," he said.

Russia is still owed $8 billion by Iraq and Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov indicated it would expect that money to be repaid, adding that Iraq "was not a poor country".

Comment

Ok can any of you guys explain to me why its such a bad thing that this countries want to help?

I just dont get that part.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
            Ok can any of you guys explain to me why its such a bad thing that this countries want to help?

I just dont get that part.
            Because they are doing the exact thing that they always been critizing the US for doing. We "never lifted a finger to help anyone else unless it was for money"

Comment

ahhh ok I get it now.. thanks wolfie.

Comment

I look at it this way: This issue is over American money. There are plenty of other sources of money for helping to rebuild Iraq, or at least there should be... If the US is giving this money to rebuild Iraq, I don't see how it's a problem if we decide to award the contracts solely to countries that helped us when we asked...

That said, read the fine print on this policy... This policy does not prevent these nations from providing sub-contractors. And if they want to bid to be a general contractor, all they have to do is provide military support for Iraq right now.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ok, I see the point, but....and I'll expect toasting for this..

Just because a country refused to join in the war efforts, does that mean they should be excluded from bidding to carry out works to repair the country that is dessimated/lightly damaged/whatever?

Surely the work should go to those in the best position to carry it out at the best cost?

Or am I missing a fundamental point?

Comment

Originally posted by Benny_
                    Ok, I see the point, but....and I'll expect toasting for this..

Just because a country refused to join in the war efforts, does that mean they should be excluded from bidding to carry out works to repair the country that is dessimated/lightly damaged/whatever?

Surely the work should go to those in the best position to carry it out at the best cost?

Or am I missing a fundamental point?
                    Well, these are American dollars, not UN money or EU money or anybody else's money... Keeping that in mind, I believe that countries that opposed our efforts in Iraq and that continue to refuse to offer manpower to help police Iraq should be excluded from contracts...

And no French no matter what...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

But these countries did not simply just refuse to join in war efforts....

Even after the war was concluded, France, Germany, and Russia all refused to donate money to rebuild post-war Iraq. They didn't want to do spend any money helping out. They were also asked to forgive the debt caused by SH spending, but they won't. This happened after all the talk they made about "helping the Iraqi people" when they were against the war.

That is fine by me. They believe in something and are sticking to it, even in the end it is hurting the Iraqi people (by not providing financial assistance).

However, now that America has given Iraq billions of dollars to rebuild, these same countries are lining up to line their pockets. So America is saying, since you sat on the sideline so long refusing to do anything, we will not allow you to bid for this money. It isn't America only giving money to American firms. It is giving American money to those that have shown a willingness to help Iraq out.

Comment

I agree with everything you have said Wolfie.

Comment

ok, I agree with all that.

Now to show my naiveness (sp?)

Who is paying for the rebuilding? The donating countries (US et al) or the Iraqi system (I assume even though kinda messed up they still have a lot of oil = money)

Ta..

Comment

ok, I agree with all that.

Now to show my naiveness (sp?)

Who is paying for the rebuilding? The donating countries (US et al) or the Iraqi system (I assume even though kinda messed up they still have a lot of oil = money)

Ta..
                            I can only answer for the US's donations but all the money that Iraq has received from the US is in the form of grants which are not expected to be paid back. It was discussed in Congress to turn some of it into loans but that didn't happen.

Comment

how about this... why are they rebuilding?

cuz we broke it. (and killed lotsa civvies, but that's beside the point, right, since we made sure he wasn't going to use all his WMDs he had)

Strongarm politics will always backfire.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X