for anyone that goes to highschool...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for anyone that goes to highschool...

im a sophomore in highschool. For my freshman year the cafeteria at my school sold both healthy snacks and junk food. This year, the federal government is giving our school some kind of incentive (i dont know the specific details) to get rid of all the junk food and replace it completly with health food (which, of course, tastes like pure ****). I can understand junior highschool and elementary schools enforcing this rule because the kids arent quite mature enough to decide whats good for them and to watch their own weight. However once you get to highschool, your big boys and girls and can make decisions on what you eat better. The average and underweight kids shouldnt have to suffer because there's a few fat kids. Responsible overweight kids generally ate the healthy foods that the school provided before, and the underweight kids could still enjoy lunch. Im pissed off at this for 2 reasons, 1) I want to be allowed to eat what i want and 2) its almost insulting to tell us that when were 16 we still cant tell the difference between a honey bun and an apple, and when each is appropriate. Whats the view on this from other highschoolers and the adults as well?

Re: for anyone that goes to highschool...

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, sweets are a fine mix up for fat kids too. Just not like 6,000 daily.

You got the preverbial bad end of the stick.

Comment

In high school I would get a Grandma's Double chocolate cookie with a caramel candy all nuked up by Beth at our little snack shop. That and a coke was lunch many days, but I was a skinny kid. That was almost 20 years ago! I don't think junk food is more prevalent now, but I do know the trails we used to ride our BMX bikes on are all coverd up by grass & weeds now. Back then there were only so many hours of Pong you could handle. :icon16:

That doesn't mean it's up to Legislatures to nanny you though.
      New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
        I do know the trails we used to ride our BMX bikes on are all coverd up by grass & weeds now.
        Bing, bing, bing, bing, bing, bing!!!!!

You have just nailed it, Squid.

Now, if I can just get my fat ass to go outside...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Now, if I can just get my fat ass to go outside...
          Amen!
          New to TG?

Comment

At our school we have junk food machines and soda machines, but they are turned off before school til after school.
            |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

It doesn't matter if you're not over-weight. All that crap is still bad for a developing person. Even people who are at their recommended weight for their height can suffer from high LDLs (cholesteral) and high blood pressure.

And no, you aren't a "big boy," at least not according to state and federal laws. In fact, while you are in school, you are property of the state. They are responsible for your well-being.

Case in point (in Texas at least), if you skip class, drive off and get killed in a car wreck, the school is liable. You are not 18. You are not mature enough to make these decisions. This is why you have a legal guardian.

And you aren't being forced to eat healthy food. The schools just aren't selling junk food to you anymore. If you want that, you have to get your parents to send you to school with a lunch or make your own. Just as subway isn't infringing on your rights by not selling 85 dollar T-Bones, your school is doing nothing wrong by not offering a certain type of food or beverage.

And please don't associate eating junk food with being obese as though it's the end-all to the solution. McDonalds for lunch everyday doesn't help, but it doesn't mean that it's the sole problem. People are obese for many reasons and sometimes it's not what they eat, it's how much of it they do or other conditions they have no control over.

Note: I'm not saying I agree with what your school is doing or that a person under the age of 18 can't make his own decisions (Hell, there are some people well over the age of 18 I think should be denied the right to make their own decisions based on their maturity). I'm just trying to give an objective insight into why they are doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                It doesn't matter if you're not over-weight. All that crap is still bad for a developing person. Even people who are at their recommended weight for their height can suffer from high LDLs (cholesteral) and high blood pressure.

And no, you aren't a "big boy," at least not according to state and federal laws. In fact, while you are in school, you are property of the state. They are responsible for your well-being.

Case in point (in Texas at least), if you skip class, drive off and get killed in a car wreck, the school is liable. You are not 18. You are not mature enough to make these decisions. This is why you have a legal guardian.

And you aren't being forced to eat healthy food. The schools just aren't selling junk food to you anymore. If you want that, you have to get your parents to send you to school with a lunch or make your own. Just as subway isn't infringing on your rights by not selling 85 dollar T-Bones, your school is doing nothing wrong by not offering a certain type of food or beverage.

And please don't associate eating junk food with being obese as though it's the end-all to the solution. McDonalds for lunch everyday doesn't help, but it doesn't mean that it's the sole problem. People are obese for many reasons and sometimes it's not what they eat, it's how much of it they do or other conditions they have no control over.

Note: I'm not saying I agree with what your school is doing or that a person under the age of 18 can't make his own decisions (Hell, there are some people well over the age of 18 I think should be denied the right to make their own decisions based on their maturity). I'm just trying to give an objective insight into why they are doing it.

Thanks, dad :row__518:

Comment

People have proven that even if provided with a number of healthy alternatives to junk food they will usually chose the junk food. Its because of conditioning by the companies that peddle these foods. Healthy alternatives do not taste like crap and usually actually taste better. A food whose flavor comes from fat and fat alone does not have nearly the range of flavor that lean foods have, with some exceptions. Yes i know that fat adds flavor, but it should be another note to the taste of the food, not the entire song. Eating healty does not mean eating tofu and salads all the time. Eating healthy means not eating processed and deep fried foods all the time. I hate to say it, and would have been opposed to it during high school, but I realize now i didnt have the will power to not buy junk food at school. Schools should serve good round healthy meals. I mean a good rounded meal can be anything from broiled chicken breasts and baked potato wedges with some stir fried veggies, to a curried stir fry served over un processed organic rice. Anyone that says that healthy food tastes bad has obviously not sampled what real food is.

Comment

I don't think it's the answer, but I think it might help.

The thing is, Most of the bad eating habits arent from inside the school, but from sitting in front of the television and computers. I know this for a fact because I was a prime example.

Since I cut down on my sugars and saturated fats to a few grams each day, not only have I felt better, but I find most of these 'gross' tasting foods a bit more reasonable.

Oh ya, and the thing about making your own decisions in high school... Well first I'll say that I'm out of college and still not old enough, according to the government, to make my own decisions, not for another year.

But back to high school, I'm not picking on you or anyone specific, but just about everyone has a big head in high school, a superiority complex, nothing bad can ever happen to me, etc. Throughout my four years in high school, We experienced One bomb threat (with actual explosives in the building capable of taking out 1/2 of the school), two suicides, many many drunk driving accidents two resulting in the death of a student, and several unplanned pregnancys.

I know these don't seem like they apply, but it shows some of the decision making capability of some students. Yes there is always the number of people who do stupid things their entire life, but in many cases they werent taught well early on so the bad habits remained throughout their life.
                    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I worked in the local high school last year, and they too went through an overhaul of what was allowed in the vending machines and in the lunch line. As much as I sometimes really wanted some twizzlers, I have to say that I honestly feel that keeping the soda and junk food out of the cafeteria was a wise move. The most current research in the US shows that 30% of americans are obese. The scariest population segment is in the adolescent range, where the percentages keep rising. It is a very serious problem of epidemic proportions that needs to get under control.

If given the option of having a bottle of juice or a soda, I would be willing to wager that 80% of us would opt for the soda. As much as I know you guys are "big boys and girls" (which I agree with), you have to understand that it's not a way to treat you like a child- most adults lack the self control you're talking about.

If it's really something that bothers you, all you need to do is pack your lunch for school and take whatever you want with you. No one is going to inspect your lunch for calorie counting, or question the fat content of your ham sandwich. Instead of being upset with the school attempting to provide you with a healthier array of foods, be thankful they give a damn. If you don't like how it's being implemented and find the food to taste bad, say so to the principal. Thank the guy for his consideration of your health and maybe even suggest you guys do some taste testing to find some other healthy foods that more kids would enjoy. Break out the lunchbox, and take care of the concern yourself until things shape up.

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
                        Thanks, dad :row__518:
                        Go to your room.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                          I tend to agree with limiting junk food in schools.

When I went to school, we had about 5 fat kids in a year of 150 students. Now, I see kids on school outings and a good quarter of them are what we would have deemed overweight in my day. Recreation is also to blame. We had compulsory sport training on the weekends and health classes and such. I'm not sure how much these activities are promoted in schools these days.
                          Ah, yes, that's something that has really changed. We never had anything school-related on weekends, but up until high school, we always had several recesses throughout the day. I understand that most schools don't have those anymore except in kindergarten (pre-1st grade). I'm sure that's contributing....
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

kids eating crap at school with their lunch money is definitely and issue, dont give them a choice and either they starve or eat it (or bring their own), i see no problem with them deciding not to sell you unhealthly foods seeing as its in your own interests and the best thing to prevent an increase in obese school kids, if they make it harder for you to obtain mabe you will expand your diet abit and form a liking for some of the healthier foods in life.

remember kids, variety is the spice of life!

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
                              However once you get to highschool, your big boys and girls and can make decisions on what you eat better.
                              ok...i know i'm getting old when i think: "You're in High School, you are NOT a big boy or girl!"

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                              People are obese for many reasons and sometimes it's not what they eat, it's how much of it they do or other conditions they have no control over.
                              lol...yeah...what genetics? BS. Such a liberal way of thinking. Obese people are obese because losing weight is hard. Even if you have genetic predisposition to obesity, you have no one but yourself to blame for your weight problem. One of my closest friends in High School was obese, and not by our contemporary charts and measurements that makes pretty much EVERYONE in the States have a weight problem. He became a vegan because his body could not break down red meats and some dairy products; instead it stored them as fat. Now, do you think this kid who grew up eating red meat wanted to become a freakin vegan? Hell no, but he made the tough choice, and instead of getting his stomach stapled, he exercised and changed his diet dramatically. ManÖdoes everyone need an out when their life isnít what they want it to be? Itís the Government, itís my genetic make up, it's Racism, itís HIM!!! *points finger at Leejo.*

Dirt013
                              Dirt013

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...