X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the battle will get hotter

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/03/re...bit/index.html

Re: And the battle will get hotter

Indeed. As most of you might know, I'm a single-issue voter, so I certainly hope that we get some pro-2nd Amendment justices to replace the ones that served our country so honorably and with such dedication.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Cing, all citizens are only issued one vote. That's the way the system works.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        Cing, all citizens are only issued one vote. That's the way the system works.
        Heh... That's what you think... Perhaps someday you'll be illuminated with the knowledge of just how the system really works...
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Rehnquist's replacement? Roberts... now not just nominated to be an associate justice, but the cheif justice. Interesting.

And since O'Connor said she'd stay on till her replacement is confirmed, she'll continue as a justice until a new nominee is brought forward. With one nomination, Bush will maintain a full supreme court when it reconvenes(assuming Roberts is confirmed in time).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9215790/

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
            Rehnquist's replacement? Roberts... now not just nominated to be an associate justice, but the cheif justice. Interesting.
            Very interesting. I thought the Chief was usually elevated from the existing ranks of SCOTUS? All the articles I'm reading don't indicate any surprise at this nomination, though...

Roberts is well liked, though. His confirmation looks pretty sure. Bumping his nomination up a notch probably isn't going to change that...
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Rehnquist had become increasingly frail after his cancer diagnosis last October, but his office had refused to characterize the seriousness of his illness.

Meanwhile, he'd worked from home for several months and missed oral arguments in a number of cases.
              Explain to me again the reasoning behind giving judges jobs for life. How does that make sense?
              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

I do not believe that it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                  Explain to me again the reasoning behind giving judges jobs for life. How does that make sense?
                  It removes them from any sort of political process. They have nothing to prove to anyone, which should help them in their impartial interpretation of the law.
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I do suppose that makes sense...

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      It removes them from any sort of political process. They have nothing to prove to anyone, which should help them in their impartial interpretation of the law.
                      They could always serve a term without possibility of re-election. That would remove them as well, plus make replacements less random.

Comment

Note that a Supreme Court Justice (chief or associate) CAN be impeached. So don't think that just because it is an appointment for life, that they can do WHATEVER they want. They have to uphold the oath they took when they were sworn in.

Comment

Has any ever been inpeached? Cing you must continue. ILLUMINATE me to what you were talking about.
                          MrBadass_88 -Tactical Gamer since 2005-

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            As most of you might know, I'm a single-issue voter...
                            If that means what I think it means... WTF? Why would anyone vote based on a single issue of anything short of something that would take away democracy altogether?

Is the right to bear arms (something I support, BTW) more important than, oh, all of the following put together: the economy, personal freedom, free speech, privacy, etc etc etc?

Maybe if people voted more responsibly, this country would never get into a situation where the 2nd amendment was even needed.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
                              Note that a Supreme Court Justice (chief or associate) CAN be impeached. So don't think that just because it is an appointment for life, that they can do WHATEVER they want. They have to uphold the oath they took when they were sworn in.
                              I don't think Cing meant that a member of the Supreme Court could do coke with hookers every night but rather can do whatever they wish with regard to ruling on a case that is before the court.

However, even that is not true. As the Impeachment of President Clinton taught us all, Congress can impeach someone for any reason: it's impeachable if the House decides it is, and the person's out on his ass if the Senate agrees. Period.

As a practical matter no-one on the Supreme Court will ever be removed short of some dramatic offense or patent failure to execute his or her duties.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X