#GamerGate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #GamerGate

now i apologize if i've been completely blind and missed threads about this already (had a quick search and couldn't see anything)

I was just curious to gauge other TG'rs opinions on the whole GamerGate saga, whether you pro or anti etc
    Maybe even have some adult discussions about it without it ending in a **** slinging contest.

Re: #GamerGate

I have not heard of this, will peruse this and get back to you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
      I have not heard of this, will peruse this and get back to you.
      This article sums it up nicely:
      http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2470723,00.asp

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
      ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Ok then, I know I should have just stayed out of this thread. Moving on.

Comment

wtf?

Comment

there is another website that seems to explain gamergate pretty well

A* People's* History of* GamerGate - Welcome

Comment

Hearing the name made me think of BauldersGate and then it talks about Depression Quest.

As to this thing, I still am not sure what the heck I just read... What I did pick out of it was that a questionable feminist didn't go to a university to speak, a lover's quarrel became public, and 4chan sinking teeth into yet another internet event.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Yea, this is what you shouldn't be doing on the internet. moving along..

Comment

The absolute issue with the internet, despite all the good potential it has, is the anonymity. Pure unfettered anonymity allows for some seriously bad anti-social behavior. I personally think that all gamer's, and this is in TG's primer, fight against the internet culture featured in this #GamersGate fiasco.

I furthermore, think this proves that anarchy is a completely impossible societal concept.

Comment

The most striking aspect of GamerGate was the level of misogyny, hatred and violence, directed towards women who dared to critique gaming.
                    sigpic

Comment

An embarrassing farce from beginning to end with a level of poorly informed bandwagon jumping that can only be achieved when you combine the internet, lazy unscrupulous multi media journalists, politicians and sheep looking for a cause celebre.

Comment

sad really, because both sides did have some decent things to point out, but all of that was overshadowed by the disgusting traits both sides showed. As it was said, misinformed people, the internet, and people looking to lead the sheep to their own ends really does create a farce.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Wicks View Post
                          An embarrassing farce from beginning to end with a level of poorly informed bandwagon jumping that can only be achieved when you combine the internet, lazy unscrupulous multi media journalists, politicians and sheep looking for a cause celebre.
                          I've kept up with it from the beginning, when the first stirrings were in IRC chatrooms.

The whole issue is overblown, but really... for those who are out of the loop:

-GamerGate/GamerGhazi has NOTHING to do with who slept with who.
                          -It is about major game-related media, ethics, and journalist ethics. Specifically review practices and reviewer ethics.
                          -It is not about hating women... kind of the opposite
                          -It is not about keeping women out of the industry. Quite the contrary - The Fine Young Capitalists, a feminist group who was trying to help get more women into game development was one of the first groups that the journalists and "victims" like Zoe Quinn attacked over the fall
                          -The tag #GamerGate was coined by Adam Baldwin
                          -The tag #NotYourShield represents women who reject the mainstream media's opinions, and work to show that #GamerGate is not a sexist movement.
                          -The movement is EXTREMELY diverse. No "group" is the same.
                          -The mainstream media has of course monetized the affair with a recent RIDICULOUS episode of SVU showing a woman being raped, beaten, tortured, and kidnapped because of "gamergate", "redchan.it" (A play on 4chan and reddit), and a ridiculous myth that women are not accepted in the video game industry.

Now, let's clarify:

Are there sexists or racists detracting from the legitimate grievances? Yes, just like any other movement.
                          Is 4chan evil? No.
                          Is 8chan evil? Definitely not.
                          Should anyone ever feel threatened or afraid for their life because of doing what they love (making games, reviewing, etc)? No.

All that said, it's been a whacky and wild ride... But some positive changes have occurred:

-Gawker traffic is plummetting
                          -Specifically Kotaku, where most of the controversy started
                          -Review scores are being phased out, closer examination of money surrounding journalism
                          -We are FINALLY having legitimate discussions about the role of gender in the industry.

And E-Male, here's a great video that sort of addresses your concern:

Skud

Comment

Quite the clarification, Skud. Thank you.

Comment

Christina Hoff Sommers is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. That says quite a bit. A right wing think tank renowned for its ideological spew on all manner of issues.

Gamergate overall was not a "voice for moderation" -- it was a tsunami of hatred against women. The hate-spew needs to be accounted for and not dismissed.

That we rarely see male critics subject to rape and death threats in this context says much about the issue of misogyny within the #gamergate discourse.

There may be an interesting parallel to discourse concerning women in gaming magazines: "magazines consistently treat digital women as vacant pinups to be ogled or irrelevant sidekicks to be tolerated, and real women as annoying interlopers to be bullied."

What gamergate reveals is this: sexism and misogyny within video game culture "is not universal, [but] it is wide-spread, insidious, and a major problem for video gaming culture."

This is not surprising given the male privilege and dominant position of males within capitalism. Of course, the right wing in general, and think tanks like the AEI, reject the notions of patriarchy, male privilege, gendered wage disparity, and similar claims that are associated with feminism but are more broadly asserted by the left.

Thus the argument over gamergate defines the battle lines between the left and the right -- those who see tremendous symbolic and physical violence directed towards women and those who dismiss the significance of gender imbalances in industry structure and across institutional complexes.

Jennifer Jenson and Suzanne de Castell speak of the surronding structural issue that reflects the inevitable left vs right divide in the interpretation of gamergate:

"positioning women as precarious subjects—and objects—in videogame culture, shifts the ground from the individual case of a single woman being harassed while speaking and playing in an online game, or when simply writing or blogging about games, to a structural level that ties in with social and cultural gender norms, as well as with political and legal structures that have yet to come ‘online’ to offer real protection from misogynistic hate speech . . . these individual cases are epiphenomenal to a larger structural issue that enfranchises a ‘malestream’ of gamers (and others) to denigrate and abuse women who ‘dare’ to play and, worse yet, to make videogames."
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X