Today I stopped caring.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I stopped caring.......

Today, I stopped caring about my fellow man.

I stopped caring about my community, my neighbors, and those I serve. I stopped caring today because a once noble profession has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted.

I stopped caring today because parents refuse to teach their kids right from wrong and blame us when they are caught breaking the law. Because parents tell their little kids to be good or “the police will take you away” embedding a fear from year one. Moms hate us in their schools because we frighten them and remind them of the evil that lurks in the world. They would rather we stay unseen, but close by if needed, but readily available to “fix their kid.”

I stopped caring today because we work to keep our streets safe from mayhem in the form of reckless, drunk, high, or speeding drivers, only to be hated for it, yet hated even more because we didn't catch the drunk before he killed someone they may know. Nevertheless, we are just another tool used by government to generate “revenue.”

I stopped caring today because Liberals hate the police as we carry guns, scare kids, and take away their drugs. We always kill innocent people with unjust violence. We are called bullies for using a Taser during a fight, but are condemned further for not first tasing the guy who pulls a gun on us. And if we do have to shoot, we are asked “why didn't you just shoot the gun out of their hand?” And when one of us is killed by the countless attacks that do happen (but are rarely reported in the mainstream media) the haters say, “Its just part of the job.”

I stopped caring today because Conservatives hate us as we are “the Government.” We try to take away their guns, freedoms, and liberty at every turn. We represent a “Police State” where “jackbooted badge-wearing thugs” randomly attack innocent people without cause or concern for constitutional rights. We are Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Rodney King all rolled into one lone police officer stopping to help change an old lady’s tire.

I stopped caring today as no one wants us around, but instantly demands answers, results, and arrests, when a crime takes place. If a crime isn't solved within the allocated 60 minutes it takes CSI on television, we are inept, incompetent, or covering something up. If we do get “lucky” it was just that, and everyone with a Facebook account can post wonderful comments of how “they” would solve the case and how “we” are not nearly as clever.

I stopped caring today because a video of a cop six states away, from a department that you never heard of, screws up and forgets his oath of honor, thus firing up an internet lynch-mob of cop haters even though 99% of us work twice as hard not to end up in the news and to still be “the good guys.” We are “militarized” because we wear body armor and kevlar helmets when shots are fired or rocks thrown at us, and we carry scary looking rifles even though everyone knows that they are easier to shoot and are more accurate than a handgun or a shotgun.

I stopped caring today because the culture of today’s instantly connected youth is only there to take and never give back. To never accept responsibility for ones actions, but to blame everyone else instead of themselves. To ask “what is in it for me?” versus “what can I do for you?” To idolize gangsters, thugs, sexually promiscuous behavior, and criminals over hard work, dedication, and achievement. To argue that getting stoned should be a right, yet getting a job or an education is a hassle. To steal versus earn. To hate versus help.

Yes, I stopped caring today.

But tomorrow, I will put my uniform back on and I will care again.

By Lt Daniel Furseth of the DeForest, Wisconsin Police Department.
    Last edited by Reinhold; 12-03-2014, 02:46 PM. Reason: typos

Re: Today I stopped caring.......

I thank them for their service in my town whenever I see an officer face to face. Try to picture the real world you live in without peace keepers, lawlessness and anarchy would prevail with "love your neighbor" quickly replaced with "only the strong survive".

Comment

I thank firefighters(My grandfather was a Lou for 15 years and in the department for 35 after he left the Army after The War), police men, emts, and forest rangers whenever I see them.

*Salute's Reinhold.

I feel more comfortable knowing there are Officers like you on the force Reinhold. Thank you for your public service and the sacrifices you make on a daily basis.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

Wish the 99% that did appreciate the efforts of law enforcement, firefighters, emt's etc made as much noise as the 1% that are internet experts and haters.

Reinhold, most people appreciate what you do. Don't let the minority drag you down. The small victories are the ones you gotta cherish, the smiles of the people you help, my cheering as I see the douchebag who barreled by me at 95, at the side of the road a few miles later with blue lights parked behind him. The boys in my cub scout den listening intently as the police officer kind enough to come speak to them at one den meeting talked about how to be safe, and how his mind was his most important tool/weapon. They will remember that, some for the rest of their lives.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reinhold View Post

I stopped caring today because a video of a cop six states away, from a department that you never heard of, screws up and forgets his oath of honor, thus firing up an internet lynch-mob of cop haters even though 99% of us work twice as hard not to end up in the news and to still be “the good guys.” We are “militarized” because we wear body armor and kevlar helmets when shots are fired or rocks thrown at us, and we carry scary looking rifles even though everyone knows that they are easier to shoot and are more accurate than a handgun or a shotgun.
          I think this an important point. I've voiced some serious criticisms in the other thread about particular situations, I still stand by them, but it is important to have the reality check that the vast majority of police actions are good, hence the need for them.

Wicks brought up a good point in that thread as we'll, in the greater picture there is a lot more to understand and know. It is a two way street.

I stand by the call for scrutiny, but generalizations based on a few cases is wrong.

Comment

Militarize the police, criminalize the population, and isolate the 1%.

Add catastrophic climate change to the mix and mix in Christian and Muslim religious idiocy.

And watch the universe not care as we blink out of existence.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
              Christian and Muslim religious idiocy.

Watch out, we got some original thinking!
              Skud

Comment

Annnnd your point is what exactly?
                sigpic

Comment

Maybe you should not be so quick to call over half the planet "idiots"?

Who gave you the authority to judge someone's intelligence by their personal beliefs? Smart people, smarter than anyone on this message board, are Muslim and Christian both. Some of humanity's greatest accomplishments are born from these religions.

Your snide comment about religion really had nothing to do with this topic to begin with. Surely you're better than 14 year olds on Myspace circa-2004 than to drag religion into such a topic as this, right? Really, you didn't post it just to get a rise out of anyone for no reason, right?

Replace "Christian and Muslim idiocy" with anything and it's about as equally derailing and offensive. It's that kind of over-generalization that leads to issues like police violence. Just chew on that for a minute.
                  Skud

Comment

Skud, I was referring to the idiocy of extremism and absolutism within religions (as the original post refers to "liberals" and conservatives" as a group, but, I assume means extreme elements within these groups.

You could have simply asked for clarification in stead of firing from the hip.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree though. People were right when they moved the clock closer to midnight.

Comment

I caught most of This American Life today on NPR. It was part one of a story about exactly what we were talking about.

Cops See It Differently, Part One | This American Life

It was a pretty good listen and helped to describe the very split I think we've been talking about. Some key highlights:
                        • Right out the gate focused on the niche topic of Police relations with the black community in America, specifically Milwaukee's PD.
                        • Uses case examples to describe the climate of Milwaukee's police-populace relations. Specifically, Frank Jude's brutal 2004 beating by off duty- and eventually on duty- police (claimed as an example of Police 'closing rank' while criminal investigations were going).
                        • Police Chief Ed Flin is interviewed as he moved in to Milwaukee to help bridge the gap completely aware of the 'historical antipathy for police' wanting to fight it. Nice anecdote of being called into a black neighborhood and immediately being blamed for racial profiling.
                        • Police Chief's perspective on the death of a person in police custody very much in the same manner of Eric Garner's death, Derrick Williams. His reaction initially was, 'Thank-god it was obvious we didn't do anything to cause his death,' but very quickly realizes that it portrayed his PD as uncaring and at least complicit in allowing a person to die. Goes on to explain that this disconnect comes from people often times claiming distress when there is no such thing to avoid immediate arrest.
                        • Talks about reforms trying to bridge the gap, talks about how its small steps and constant engagement.

Around the 22 minute mark is definitely worth a listen as Ed Flin explains the psychological impact of policing and how it eventually wears a person down. If there is anything to listen to is from the 22nd minute mark to about the 30th minute mark.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X