Dr. Strangelove Lectures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Strangelove Lectures

I have been 'experimenting' with numerous ways of using the Internet to convey my lecture materials at uOttawa since 2000. This winter 2015 semester I started using a system (Echo360) that records my screen (slideshow and videos) and voice while lecturing. My field is cultural theory, my focus is the digital networked environment, and my method is a mix of political economy, ethnography, and numerous of fields.

Over the time that I have been a member of the TG community (2005--) I manged to write two more academic books with the University of Toronto along with my first major work, The Empire of Mind.

Here is a collection of my lectures from Winter 2015. I'll update the collection here as new lectures are uploaded.

New Media

Media Industries

sigpic

Re: Dr. Strangelove Lectures

Thanks for sharing E-Mail, I am one of those weird people who actually enjoy lectures on various topics. Richard dawkins, Al kalili, brain cox, some of my favroites. Yours look to be very enjoyable TY.

Comment

Mobile Cellphone Culture and Sexting

sigpic

Comment

I have no means to binge watch these lectures in the midst of my own academics (why am I even here?), but I would like to ask your opinion on media as a classroom subject. I remember vaguely of an interview where someone once suggested that as media is so pervasive in our culture there should be an education of it starting in at least High School rather than a class you can maybe take if you maybe go to college or university.

So do you think any of these lectures' content could be appropriated or adjusted to be aimed at the segment of our population most targeted by media trends? Is anything to be gained from targeting an 'immature' audience?

Comment

I thought the USA had extensive media education in the high school curriculum. Having said that, I have not studied USA or Canadian media education at the K-12 level.

It would take extensive editing to move my material to a younger audience -- graphic content, adult words, higher education vocabulary -- does not fit well with K-12 environment.

Kids at the K-12 level in the USA are exposed to a significant volume of corporate driven material (market-based propaganda) and consevative-religious censored material. Critical theory that I deal in would be burned at the stake in this politicized context. Particularly in Texas.

Dr. Strangelove

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
          I have no means to binge watch these lectures in the midst of my own academics (why am I even here?), but I would like to ask your opinion on media as a classroom subject. I remember vaguely of an interview where someone once suggested that as media is so pervasive in our culture there should be an education of it starting in at least High School rather than a class you can maybe take if you maybe go to college or university.

So do you think any of these lectures' content could be appropriated or adjusted to be aimed at the segment of our population most targeted by media trends? Is anything to be gained from targeting an 'immature' audience?
          sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

This lecture of the politics of public opinion. Audio is oddly choppy (occurred in post-production, not sure why).

sigpic

Comment

If I watch all the videos can you give me a credit and a half? If I take the mid and finals...can I get three?
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

sigpic

Comment

From my Summer 2016 Advertising Techniques course at the University of Ottawa:

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X