Spyware Embedded in Harddrive Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware Embedded in Harddrive Code

Another disturbing revelation about the scale of spying conducted by the NSA. It is nothing less than extraordinary that this is being done in the name of democracy and freedom.

Former NSA operatives confirmed to Reuters that the analysis by Kaspersky, a highly reputable anti-virus firm, was correct. They said the NSA’s ability to secretly embed spyware into hard drives has long been prized by the surveillance agency.

While the scope of the operation isn't fully understood yet, Kaspersky's chief malware analyst and other cybersecurity experts helped explain what's contained in the report, how the spyware works and why the revelations may have caught so many by surprise.
    sigpic

Re: Spyware Embedded in Harddrive Code

Considering I work in the field, there are a LOT of things that others (including myself) have developed, designed, or played with that are HORRIBLY frightening when used or taken out of context. I understand the capability, but the specific implementation of that capability is what should be worrying, not the capability itself. The risk is in the actual implementation.

Scope matters. Quite a lot.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I wonder if that implementation could be used to comprise valuable systems by hackers with malicious intent.

I read that on Engadget yesterday and nearly spit back out my drink. Makes me think of the Activision rootkit fiasco from the late 1990s.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        I wonder if that implementation could be used to comprise valuable systems by hackers with malicious intent.

I read that on Engadget yesterday and nearly spit back out my drink. Makes me think of the Activision rootkit fiasco from the late 1990s.
        This is the very issue at stake here and the one raised in the cited CBC article. It may be the case that once again the actions of a largely secretive an accountable security establishment has undermine global security. Ironic.
        sigpic

Comment

the work i do, (partly military/ partly government related) has got me to see pretty wicked... and down right scary things that get to be done in the name of "safety" and "security"... enough that it does tend to blur the line one who's the real "bad guys"
          |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
          BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
          Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

The spy game evolves from James Bond to Halt and Catch Fire. This stuff is interesting and only again serves to underscore the reality that in the digital realm, with enough perseverance, nothing is private or safe. On one hand spy games are important on the other hand if we treat everyone like a threat and risk we alienate them when our actions are exposed.

I'm not versed at all in this area but figure since others are I'd ask this: Would VPNs protect you from such threats, as we are hearing a lot about VPNs now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
              The spy game evolves from James Bond to Halt and Catch Fire. This stuff is interesting and only again serves to underscore the reality that in the digital realm, with enough perseverance, nothing is private or safe. On one hand spy games are important on the other hand if we treat everyone like a threat and risk we alienate them when our actions are exposed.

I'm not versed at all in this area but figure since others are I'd ask this: Would VPNs protect you from such threats, as we are hearing a lot about VPNs now.
              I don't see how a VPN would protect you from this localized threat. It's a hardware vulnerability whereby someone would load software from a USB drive connected to your system and then transfer your data out. As for preventing a hacker outside your network from reaching in to load such software, maybe.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post

No VPN you have is going to stop the NSA, really.

I use a VPN frequently for various reasons, but am under no illusions that it just keeps casual eyes out of my business. If someone or an agency were so inclined, they could find me in a heartbeat. But nothing I do behind a VPN would ever warrant government action anyway, so I don't worry. I use VPNs for privacy from non-government sources. I pay for one of the "better" consumer ones available, but am not fooled into thinking I'm not traceable.
                Skud

Comment

unless your VPN runs on a 2048+ bit encryption and in an algorythm that the NSA doesn't know... but that is so rare that if they want they will find info, won't be instantaneous, but will take maybe around 2 or 3 miniutes
                  |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                  BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                  Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

Well I doubt the NSA would want to waste so many years breaking a AES 2048-bit encryption. By the time they do, whatever is gained might already be worthless. Then again, AES-1024 is pretty secure as is (even with RSA-1024 hardware decryption).
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X