Jon Steward must be proud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Steward must be proud

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted yet, unless I missed the thread for it.

Hmm.

EDIT: Aw. I misspelled Stewart :(
    Last edited by Karkianman101; 09-08-2005, 07:51 PM.

Re: Jon Steward must be proud

Rethought. See post below.
    Last edited by Vinzalf; 09-09-2005, 12:07 AM.
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Absolutely awesome.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Two big thumbs up.

This should be mandatory viewing for the entire world. It isnt biased...its the utter and complete truth and anyone who thinks differently needs to really just turn on the TV and look...

THE DISTASTER THAT IS STILL HAPPENING AS WE SPEAK IS OCCURING WHILE EVERY DIVISION OF THE GOVERNMENT POINTS TO EVERY OTHER DIVISION AS THE CAUSE FOR THEIR OWN INADEQUATE PLANNING ON HOW TO COUNTERACT THIS TRAGEDY.

I as an American, with no bias toward Republican or Democratic parties, am ashamed of my governments' failure to protect its own people.

-Zephyr
        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
        We are not a single game.
        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Yes, truly unbiased. I'm sure John Stewart would be proud.
          New to TG?

Comment

Actually its Jon Stewart, but Anyhow. I would like to further expand on my initial post here.

I both agree and disagree with this editorial. I am glad, and ashamed.

I think what was said needed to be said. I know there are other events to plan for, and hurricanes may or may not be the highest priority, but as we saw they are indeed a reality. We've seen that for the past few years. I believe someone needs to take responsibility for natural disaster possibilities in any given location, to take the advice of those who are ignored by others. And while I don't know if it is correct, I have been lead to believe that is the responsibility of our elected officials who state they will do so, and thus also the responsibility of the government.

Also should point out that I myself am uncomfortable where I currently live, which a fairly new housing development in a medium suburb of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. My house lies on former farmland. While this isnt like Kansas, my area is somewhat notorious for wind dangers, be it tornados or straight-line winds. Now here is the kicker, even though all the houses here are sitting ducks for this type of disaster, The builder decided to go on the cheap side and build all the houses without basements, simply grounded by a big concrete slab. Nor any form of a shelter if it was expected that no buildings in the path of this will survive. This has worried me since we moved in, but being as I still live with my parent, until I myself have enough money and a stable job I can't really go anywhere.

But, I digress. I am not all-knowing so I cannot be sure that another administration in place of this one would NOT have a plan for this, It's my own opinion that they also would not. I am in no way a Bush supporter, but I feel the blame was incorrectly shifted towards him in this case. Yes he seemingly took a while getting things moving and going personally to visit the affected area. But then again, how smart would It be to put the most powerful man in the world in a place so unstable as it was the first few days following.

But one thing I think about when I see this, and I am pretty self-concious so maybe it's just my own insecurities talking here, but what do other people say when they see this? by other people I mean non-US Citizens, our Troops abroad, our allies, our enemies.

Now I don't know I agree as much with now that I have had time to review and really think about what effect this sort of thing can actually have. I got excited and hastily agreed at first. I was on his bandwagon, but I believe I have since stepped off.

I talk about the State of Minneaplois all the time. And by state I do not mean it's current affairs.
            RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
              Actually its Jon Stewart, but Anyhow.
              I already edited that into my first post ;)

Anyway, Firefox users can save this file on their computer instantaniously after they've viewed it by rightclicking outside the video, selecting page info, clicking the media tab, and downloading the .wmv file.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
                Yes he seemingly took a while getting things moving and going personally to visit the affected area. But then again, how smart would It be to put the most powerful man in the world in a place so unstable as it was the first few days following.
                Personally, I wouldn't have cared if he never visited the area in person. Yea, it's good PR, arguably good for morale, but I don't think it accomplishes anything. I also understand that it's stupid to toss the leader of a country into a region still getting slammed by a storm. However, as a citizen of the US, what I certainly do not want to see is the President seemingly ignoring the raging issue by going to a conference on medicare, or a ceremony about the end of WWII before finally deciding to take up a command position three days after New Orleans got slammed. I'd rather see him fully focussed on the disaster at hand. I want to see him in Washington, where his government is, getting a plan of action going. I'm sure all the folk sad that he couldn't accept a novelty gift at their meeting would have understood.

In my lifetime, I've seen some good presidents and some bad. But even the bad ones understood that, during a national crisis, you don't go gallavanting around like nothing is happening. The apathy toward and disregard for what was going on, coupled with the attitude of the federal government being exempt from blame, is sickening.

Kudos to the media that is finally getting some backbone.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I cant comprehend how that ISNT biased. Hes pointing the finger almost completly at the administration. Is the administration accountable for the governor and the mayors mistakes? Is the administration accountable for all the various agencies that failed? There have been mess ups all across the government. From the mayor, to the state governor and state congress, many agencies, and probably bush as well. The government (as a whole, not just one branch) should be held accountable for slow response and not being ready at all.

Comment

Um... the video WAS kinda an attack on the whole political government. From Alaskan governors to Condaleeza Rice (Her picture as he said Condescending I thought was a nice touch) to Bush. Republicans and Democrats. And then when focusing on the active government, our biggest part is of course dominantly Republican. So while attacking it may seem left wing, perhaps it isnt. Perhaps it isnt a "political" statement at all, and its telling the TRUTH about the situation.

Comment

Well, it is an editorial. Editorials aren't usually an exercise in balance. He also begins the piece by saying that he's going to editorialize, so no one should've gotten it confused as a straight newscast.

Just as editorials are biased (virtually by definition), they should also not be seen as the necessarily complete or correct view on a situation.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                      [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                      Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Speaking of Jon Stewart...

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/002358.html

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                        [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                        Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X