Outsiders and the Failure of 20th Century Institutions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsiders and the Failure of 20th Century Institutions

The US presidential race shows interesting signs of attracting support for "outsiders" perhaps more so than ever before. I wonder if this is indicative of the general crisis in established politics, the crisis of legitimacy that has generated so much analysis in political science and related fields, including my own (media studies).

My next book (in writing, a few years away from publication...) begins with the premise of the failure of what I call the institutional matrix (of power) of the 20th century -- the market, the state, the media -- as seen in a crisis of legitimacy and as measured in the global ecological crisis (and the multiple crisis of capitalism). The political theatre unfolding in the USA is suggestive of a failure of dominant political institutions. Too early to say much of anything accept whow -- never saw this before.

/Edited.
    Last edited by E-Male; 09-14-2015, 10:32 AM. Reason: clarity
    sigpic

Re: Outsiders and the Failure of 20th Century Institutions

It is and it isn't. I just think the 2 party system has gotten far too polarized to be of use. Beyond that I think this polarization was once a motivational method of both parties to stir support (i.e. Netanyahu's remarks about the evil Palestinian's during his election - which he then immediately walked back) of the grass roots. But now that they kept feeding into these polarized groups they've begun to be a power of their own. This was first seen with the Tea-Party and is now being seen in the GOP at large since it has been completely ineffectual at selling the 'young up-n-comers' they've tried really hard to prop up the last 4ish years.

Trump is a smart guy. He knows the power of that polarized electorate and has the balls to go all the way in with his rhetoric (as he's not a politician yet and still has his business empire to fall back upon).

Sanders is, I think, a different situation. The 'political average' of America is heavily weighted to the right - but amongst the left leaning individuals I've noticed they are leaning to the straight up left and not the 'center-left' of Clinton. We've done neo-liberalism - many want to try something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
      . . . The 'political average' of America is heavily weighted to the right - but amongst the left leaning individuals I've noticed they are leaning to the straight up left and not the 'center-left' of Clinton. We've done neo-liberalism - many want to try something new.
      As usual, always enjoy your comments and your insights, Yt. Averages are a tough nut to demogra-fy, statistically speaking, but, curious tidbit I came across after teaching the course Political Communication earlier this year -- in both Canada and the USA public opinion has actually shifted to the left on many key issues while party doctrine has shifted rightwards over the past 40 years under the assault of neoliberalism's very sophisticated and international strategy of media/think tanks/ and such.

In summary, the state and the market has been tilting to the right in favour of elite interests at the expensive of the common good (oh dear, collectivism!).

Last edited by E-Male; 09-14-2015, 12:03 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

The U.S. was never intended to be a two party system. Both sides are owned by big business, and the few that are not will never have a voice that is heard. I quit paying attention to main stream media, don't care to hear what any of potential potus players have to say, and I don't expect any meaningful change to happen within our political system here in the U.S. When I find a candidate that wants money taken out of politics and term limits imposed on all of our officials I will start to pay attention. Until then my vote goes to Vermin Supreme.

Comment

Vermin Supreme has got my vote!
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X