Music Downloading Essay.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Downloading Essay.

So, today I had to write an AP English 3 essay about downloading music.

The prompt was a question about Janis Ian's essay found here. The prompt said something like: Janis Ian is a folk musician. Discuss the pros and cons of Ian's argument. Then state your opinion.

I based my paper on the fact that she is ignorant because she can not seem to grasp the other side's argument. She states that it is, "nonsense," that the industry is being harmed without giving concrete evidence. She does state that they could use the internet to make money, but she said that it is, "foolproof," and that is nonsense. As my conclusion I wrote something to the effect of: "Janis Ian should come back and state her perfectly valid opinion when she learns that insult is not a valid literary argumentation tactic."

I just want to know what people here think. I support her idea that music should be available to download for sampling. Yet the way she presented it(by dropping the pants on her ignorance, so that the whole world could see) was inappropriate. I hope someone replies to this because everyone I talked to so far is being too lazy to read it.

Re: Music Downloading Essay.

I am not going to comment on that essay, however I will mention that if you intend on supporting the musicians, I do not see a problem with downloading full albums at a time for sampling and enjoyment, especially if extenuating circumstances such as a lack of funding at the time would cause you to not be able to enjoy the music.

Comment

Originally posted by nickhastapee
      I just want to know what people here think. I support her idea that music should be available to download for sampling. Yet the way she presented it(by dropping the pants on her ignorance, so that the whole world could see) was inappropriate. I hope someone replies to this because everyone I talked to so far is being too lazy to read it.
      I think that her essay was intended for the music industry and people interested in the music industry. It's common knowledge that record sales have actually gone up with the popularity of the mp3 format. I wouldn't call her ignorant because she didn't cite something that you didn't know but that most people in her audience do...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
        I think that her essay was intended for the music industry and people interested in the music industry. It's common knowledge that record sales have actually gone up with the popularity of the mp3 format. I wouldn't call her ignorant because she didn't cite something that you didn't know but that most people in her audience do...
        If this is common knowledge why don't I know it? I just do not believe that record sales have gone up. Maybe her's did, but what about the bigger musicians who regularly have hits? I just need to see some figures. If she is going to try to successfully argue for her point, she needs to provide some evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by nickhastapee
          If this is common knowledge why don't I know it? I just do not believe that record sales have gone up. Maybe her's did, but what about the bigger musicians who regularly have hits? I just need to see some figures. If she is going to try to successfully argue for her point, she needs to provide some evidence.
          I don't know why you don't know something that is commonly known. Go look for the figures if it bothers you that much...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

This is the reason that i started not to like Metalica.
            Nick I hope you make it safe in Houston, I live In LA and we are starting to get the effects if Rita now.

Comment

I recall reading somewhere that people who download music buy more albums than do people who don't download music. Weird sentence... I'll simplify:

Person A downloads music.
              Person B doesn't download music.
              Person A buys more music than Person B.

Besides, nobody in their right mind would prefer carrying a pound of CDs (which you forces you to fiddle with your CD-player when you want a different band) over a tiny device that has all your music already on it... and it doesn't skip when you hit a bump! This whole issue over music downloads shouldn't even be an issue. It's just an industry that can't handle the change and, hence, cries about it. One need only look at iTunes and their incredible growth to know that consumers don't want huge, clunky CDs anymore.

The wave of the portable music future: CDs? I think not.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
              - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by improbablecause
                I recall reading somewhere that people who download music buy more albums than do people who don't download music. Weird sentence... I'll simplify:

Person A downloads music.
                Person B doesn't download music.
                Person A buys more music than Person B.

Besides, nobody in their right mind would prefer carrying a pound of CDs (which you forces you to fiddle with your CD-player when you want a different band) over a tiny device that has all your music already on it... and it doesn't skip when you hit a bump! This whole issue over music downloads shouldn't even be an issue. It's just an industry that can't handle the change and, hence, cries about it. One need only look at iTunes and their incredible growth to know that consumers don't want huge, clunky CDs anymore.

The wave of the portable music future: CDs? I think not.
                Apple also note the "iPod Nano"

Comment

Another reason to download is because some stuff just isn't common to come across. I know some places, yeah, but the general populace won't tell me where I can buy Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry. Or any black metal albums for that matter.

Actually I think they sell them on Amazon but I'm pretty sure you all catch my drift.

Comment

When I bought my MP3 player I joined Napster and I pay .99 per song like I-tunes. I don't mind paying the money. I can download almost anything, occasionally there is some stuff that's not available but that's because the artist hasn't made a deal with Napster.

I have a whole bag filled of CD"s I don't listen to anymore. Anyone know a easy way to sell them?
                    "If the sword is always sheathed, it will become rusty, the blade will dull, and people will think as much of its owner." —Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

I prefer a challenge and teamwork rather than a stat loading server without sound tactical ideals.

Comment

It depends on how rare the CD is. If it's common aired on the radio, IE Linkin Park, Godsmack, something like that- you could try and sell them to a small business record store, or on Ebay at a huge loss.

If it's pop like Celine Dion or whatever- no one's gonna buy it.

If it's very underground ANYTHING, with anything like a limited pressing, sell it on EBay for a bunch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X