Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocks and such

Hey Fellas

I know some people are iffy about talking money, buuuuuut i was wondering if any of you fellas here invest in stock, bonds, funds and such. If so, how do you go about it? Long term? Short Term? Day trading? Retirement?

I've no entered the work world in full force, and am now starting to save and invest. Lemme know

Nerd
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Stocks and such

Only invest what you can afford to lose.
    sigpic

Comment

Start contributing to your 403B or whatever equivelent your employer offers. I wish I had started when I was younger. Even a small amount like $20 a week will add up fast.
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Invest early and do so wisely. Make sure you are ACTIVELY aware of any investment portfolio your money is in. Keep an ear to the ground and feel comfortable with your markets you are in. But, before any of that, if you have debt, pay that off first. I've heard many businessmen try to convince students to invest first and pay off debt later - thing is you can't bank that the economy will stay strong your entire working life. (in fact the cycle of boom and busting is quite predictable and it occurs about once a decade or so) So its better to get in the black first before worrying about investments in a volatile market that will very like see some shocks soon. ('Slow recovery' be damned our stocks are very high right now and this is liable to be readjusted once we exit recovery mode.)

During recessions and busts people will want to sell you a golden bridge. Don't buy into it. Gold has peaked, wait for it to crash again. Same for any precious metals. Best time to buy gold is just before a recession, when the economy has peaked but isn't showing serious cracks; and you sell it DURING that recession or just during recovery. That's the time when all the slowpokes are being fed stories to invest in gold "NOW!" and prices are up because demand is high and desperate people are panicking.

Also, and I'm being totally serious, after mass shootings that start national 'debates', buy gun stocks quickly and sell after a week or two. Though in general gun stocks will maintain highs around election cycles. Seriously, ethics aside, that is a SURE fire way to make money quickly.

Also research Oil to see if you'll have time to invest in the failing companies right now like Chevron/Exxon. They got the war chest to survive these low prices and 'should' be good investments come the inevitable surge in prices. But the jury is out as to when that'll occur.

Finally, ALWAYS listen to what Emale said. Invest what you can be willing to lose nothing more.

PS: Everyone claims to be an expert but really nobody has a crystal ball and most are just bs'ing. In other words take what others say as a compass direction but make your own map.

Comment

Managed 3% a month so far :D

And yes this is money that I can afford to lose, I graduated debt free and with no payments. I'm also rent free (cue basement nerd jokes).

I've noticed your comment on the gun stocks and such. I've been mostly following the tech sector, and also made a nice buck on Chipotle, since they seen a drop and rise from the food poisoning scandal.

How does one invest in gold and oil, are there commodity stocks, or just companies that are heavily tied to the business.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

I am currently working with a Financial Adviser from Edward Jones in my home town. Building up my Roth IRA and once we hit a certain dollar amount in that splitting it up to diversify my portfolio. This includes more medium risk stuff with stocks and what not. My advice to you is to get a Financial Adviser like I did. It never hurts to have another set of eyes watching the market, or a team of eyes. Mine has done me good so far.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

ON a whim, i decided to take a bet on a penny stock that I hear a rumor about.

John McAfee (the crazy fool behind McAfee antivirus) became the CEO for MGT Capital invesment, and it went from trading at .30 cents to currently trading at 4.62 over the course of 7 days

If i had all my money available when i had the hunch, i would've made almost 50k :D

Sadly my money cleared late and I've made 1000, so far

Oh well!
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

I had meant to post this before, I guess I got busy or maybe just forgot.

If you are smart enough to read between the lines and see things that most other don't see (and it sounds like you are) then you can and will likely do well. And therefore, your recent success is not surprising, to me at least.

The only counter points I might offer would be moral ones, but then again, I have been reading a lot of Marx lately, due to our current economic and political situation... :D
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What would be moral points here anyway?

And [MENTION=36547]Dredge[/MENTION], does a financial advisor like your take a percentage of growth, or a flat fee?
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                    ON a whim, i decided to take a bet on a penny stock that I hear a rumor about.

John McAfee (the crazy fool behind McAfee antivirus) became the CEO for MGT Capital invesment, and it went from trading at .30 cents to currently trading at 4.62 over the course of 7 days

If i had all my money available when i had the hunch, i would've made almost 50k :D

Sadly my money cleared late and I've made 1000, so far

Oh well!
                    In a year or two when I have money to put aside in the stocks would you mind showing me your information network? I get the basics but its the moment to moment info tips that elude me.

And the moral issues are more likely to do with how the stock market helps to perpetuate one earning class over another. Its a debate that is off topic, filled with landmines (its not saying that using the stock market is wrong its saying that the stock market leads to social ails as it benefits one group over others), but relevant. However, so long as it is around I say use it wisely and if there is an ethical dilemma turn the funds to something you believe in.

This being said the market will stutter and shock come election day despite who wins. But I'm pretty sure if Trump starts to appear to gain national traction that you should hedge on pulling out early. I'm not a fan of Cuban but he has market sense.

Comment

I am way late to the game here and I realize I am repeating what Emale so elegantly stated, but before investing anything at all, you must first recognize that it is a gamble, quite literally, with a probability of return, but no guarantee. It is no different from playing cards, though the odds are different, there is always a chance you could lose everything you gained And initially invested.

If you are in a place where you have income to do just that, then I would suggest starting slow and small.

There was a time when I managed my own investments, but now I have a broker who I trust and they get paid to make your investment grow. This does require a larger seed to start with though.

Investment is no guarantee of anything.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

All i've ever done was buy gold since I was 16. I invested in Tesla stocks in February and my investment has basically doubled since then and I will not cash it out. I see Tesla as one of those stocks that will explode in the medium term. Besides that I don't have anything else as I am not confident that I know enough how to maximize profit and avoid loss as much as possible.

Back to gold, I was in some financial difficulties a few years ago, and I sold about 4 thousand Euros worth. About 1/5th of what I owned at the time. It was a big relief because if I didn't have that gold I would've had to move back home(pls no). Its a perfect way to get out of a bind fast and get cash in your hand. In addition the gold that I buy is actual physical gold and I have it shipped to me, not gold stocks.

Comment

[MENTION=16854]Sir-Nerd[/MENTION] depends on the company. Mine doesnt afaik

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

If anyone likes dealing in Penny stuff, MGT just took a hard dip and i poised to rise again next week
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                              dip
                              Dude, even before you just posted that, I had already come across this video like last week and the first thing I thought about was this thread. I just hadn't had a chance to post it until now. And lo and behold, here you are already with a dip comment. IT MUST BE DENSITY. LOL

Warning: some cussing! Therefore I will post a link to the video, instead of posting the video in a player such that it appears on TG (hope that's acceptable compromise).

https://youtu.be/0akBdQa55b4
                              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X