Media always reporting bad news

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media always reporting bad news

A complaint often heard is that media only reports the bad stuff, and makes things seem worse than they are. I thought this was an interesting article about a recent day in Iraq that illistrated from a reporter's perspective the dilemna of what to lead the news with, stories of things going well or things going poorly. I'm not sure what conclusion to dar from it, or if it suggests something that can be done differently to balance the news?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9355409/site/newsweek/

Re: Media always reporting bad news

I feel that one of the media's responsibilities is to keep the goverment in check. That, consequently, often means reporting on negative things.

And of course, there's the old adage... "If it bleeds, it leads.."

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
      I feel that one of the media's responsibilities is to keep the goverment in check. That, consequently, often means reporting on negative things.
      Correct, it is the media's responsibility to report on our governments. However, it is also up to them to insure that both sides of the story are being told and let the readers decide for themselves. Too often, the news groups tend to tell one-sided stories.

Comment

Well - I think Fox is fair and balanced, and thier anchors are consummate professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar68
          Well - I think Fox is fair and balanced, and thier anchors are consummate professionals.
          I am positive you forgot the ;) at the end of that.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
            I am positive you forgot the ;) at the end of that.
            Sorry - lol

Comment

The problem with the media is that it always report the exception to the rule. So those on the outside looking in, and take it as gospel, see a very distorted pervese picture for the most part opposite, of what's really generally happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar68
                Well - I think CBS, CNN, NPR, PBS, ABC, Air America are fair and balanced, and thier anchors are consummate professionals.
                Fixed ;)
                New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                  Fixed ;)
                  Wasn't Dan Rather an anchor for CBS? :row__634:

Comment

Good news doesn't sell. Do you honestly want to hear about a 11-year-old boy helping a blind grandmother cross a busy street and then, subsequently, read a biography on the 11-year-old boy's life of goodness? If you said yes, I'll have to put it bluntly... you're a liar.

The reason there isn't "good news" is because nobody wants to read or hear it. The idealistic view of what news should be doing is very different from reality. What's the reason for this? It isn't partisan crap that a certain side of the political spectrum likes to claim. It's because the audience wants the bad news. Whether it's to prove and solidify one's beliefs as correct, or whether it's to bitch and whine about (which, paradoxically, also solidifies one's personal beliefs)... bad news is the only news worth reading.

There has even been research done on a topic similar to this. Given a negative event and a positive event, people are more likely to tell others about the negative event than they are the positive event. That is, negative news spreads faster than positive news.

Just as you enjoy slowing down and surveying the carnage of a multiple vehicle pile-up, you enjoy news about the misfortunes of others. As one of my past professors would say: "It's schadenfreude... and I know you love it."

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
                    - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                      Well - I think CBS, CNN, NPR, PBS, ABC, Air America are fair and balanced, and thier anchors are consummate professionals.
                      Aye, now thar be a bunch 'o scallywags. A gold dubloon to any man who be sendin' these lily-livered dogs to the plank.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X