• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumvertising

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...981946287.html

Discuss.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Bumvertising

awesome.

Comment

I don't think his plan was to generate advertising through the signs. His real plan was to cause controversy so this story would get picked up by the media. That's where the real advertising kicks in. :)

Comment

I think it's a great idea. Low man on the totem pole gets to stand out in front of the oil change place with a sign, or walk around wearing a chicken suit in front of a chicken restaurant. It's a job, and a job is better than begging. "Bumvertising" is a funny name but disprespectful and should change.

I can imagine a sophisticated ad campaign that uses this technique.

FYI one of the ministers at my church does a lot of work with the homeless and clued me in on a development in bumming sophistication. A lot of the homeless who stand on street corners are in fact working for a person we might as well call a pimp. This person tells the homeless person where to go, drives him or her there, provides the sign, some supplies, and takes a cut of their day's income. Maybe this is an Austin, TX thing but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
          FYI one of the ministers at my church does a lot of work with the homeless and clued me in on a development in bumming sophistication. A lot of the homeless who stand on street corners are in fact working for a person we might as well call a pimp. This person tells the homeless person where to go, drives him or her there, provides the sign, some supplies, and takes a cut of their day's income. Maybe this is an Austin, TX thing but I doubt it.
          That is truly sick and twisted.

As far as the ads go I can't imagine they would get any more freebies if they are advertising something. Certainly I would be less inclined to give him anything. And if they're just getting "a few dollars" for the ad it's probably actually hurting their potential take. On the other hand, maybe it will spur some working/entreprenuerial spirit in someone and get them off the streets.
          New to TG?

Comment

A sizable portion of the homeless have serious mental illnesses (schizophrenia and bipolar disorder mostly). By exploiting these people, you aren't helping them at all. I'm afraid it's not as simple as instilling a "working/entreprenuerial spirit in someone" to "get them off the streets". They're homeless because they can't function at the level a healthy person can, no matter how hard they try.

That's not to say bumvertising wouldn't help some people. I don't know for certain. Maybe it will... but I doubt it. Getting five dollars a day isn't going to pay for rent or a good meal.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
            - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

They get 3 dollars a shift, and all they have to do is tag a little sign onto their cardboard one.

Comment

lol, The Daily Show had a segment on this. Was funny as always...
                I'm not the Killer Man...
                I'm the Killer Man's son...
                But I'll do the killing...
                Until the Killer Man comes...

Comment

The ills of Capitalism.
                  MrBadass_88 -Tactical Gamer since 2005-

Comment

Originally posted by improbablecause
                    A sizable portion of the homeless have serious mental illnesses (schizophrenia and bipolar disorder mostly). By exploiting these people, you aren't helping them at all. I'm afraid it's not as simple as instilling a "working/entreprenuerial spirit in someone" to "get them off the streets". They're homeless because they can't function at the level a healthy person can, no matter how hard they try.

That's not to say bumvertising wouldn't help some people. I don't know for certain. Maybe it will... but I doubt it. Getting five dollars a day isn't going to pay for rent or a good meal.
                    Where are you getting your information about the % of homeless who have schizophrenia and bipolar mostly?

Comment

I didn't mean to say that they're all just lazy and should just go get jobs. A good percentage of them cannot work (I haven't seen reliable numbers of homeless, much less percentage of mentally ill).

There are a great many that use begging AS their job. In a couple hours I could post multiple photos of the kids in their 20s panhandling on the corners here in Boulder Colorado. Gotta get concert tickets and weed somehow. Of course they would never put an ad on their sign, because, you know, capitalism is bad and stuff.
                      New to TG?

Comment

Does the minimum wage come into this? Are the homeless that are working for him considered his "employees"?

It seems to me that they are being exploited. There are rules about hiring, say, migrant farm workers. They may not all be followed, but there are laws. These are poeple who, due to their circumstances, are accepting MINIMAL compensation. And they aren't in a position to even KNOW what would be reasonable. So it seems like taking advantage of their ignorance and desperation.

And the people who walk around in chicken suits get paid a decent(relatively speaking here) wage. My wife did that when she was younger, advertising for a radio station(it was a duck, not a chicken. If you must know...). She got paid so many dollars per hour. It was a short term gig, and quite random, but believe me, it wasn't 3 bucks for a day!

On the other hand, something is better than nothing, no?

Comment

It is only time before the Bumvertising Unions come around.

I'd like to see their signage when they go on strike.
                          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                            Where are you getting your information about the % of homeless who have schizophrenia and bipolar mostly?
                            I occasionally work with psychologists who have a research interest in schizophrenia (though none that are solely interested in bipolar disorder). If you're interested in this topic, here's a recent journal article that looks into those with mental illness and prevalence of homelessness therein:

Title: Prevalence and Risk Factors for Homelessness and Utilization of Mental Health Services Among 10,340 Patients With Serious Mental Illness in a Large Public Mental Health System
                            Authors: Folsom, David P; Hawthorne, William; Lindamer, Laurie; Gilmer, Todd; Bailey, Anne; Golshan, Shahrokh; Garcia, Piedad; Unützer, Jürgen; Hough, Richard; Jeste, Dilip V
                            Source: American Journal of Psychiatry. Vol 162(2), Feb 2005, pp. 370-376

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                            I didn't mean to say that they're all just lazy and should just go get jobs. A good percentage of them cannot work (I haven't seen reliable numbers of homeless, much less percentage of mentally ill).
                            Unfortunately, you are one of the few who see it that way. When talking about homelessness, most people are inclined to making broad generalizations. Most people are inclined to believing all homeless are there by choice and should just pick themselves up and get a job.

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                            There are a great many that use begging AS their job. In a couple hours I could post multiple photos of the kids in their 20s panhandling on the corners here in Boulder Colorado. Gotta get concert tickets and weed somehow. Of course they would never put an ad on their sign, because, you know, capitalism is bad and stuff.
                            Perhaps I spoke too soon... you're taking a select subgroup of the homeless crowd and sweeping that conception onto the rest of the homeless. I have no sympathy for those who are mentally and physically able to work but don't.

Simply because there may be a few idiots that are homeless doesn't change the fact that a huge proportion of the mentally ill become homeless. Those are the ones I want to help. But bumvertising just isn't helping matters; it's exploitation of the needy.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
                            - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I occasionally work with psychologists who have a research interest in schizophrenia (though none that are solely interested in bipolar disorder). If you're interested in this topic, here's a recent journal article that looks into those with mental illness and prevalence of homelessness therein:

Title: Prevalence and Risk Factors for Homelessness and Utilization of Mental Health Services Among 10,340 Patients With Serious Mental Illness in a Large Public Mental Health System
                              Authors: Folsom, David P; Hawthorne, William; Lindamer, Laurie; Gilmer, Todd; Bailey, Anne; Golshan, Shahrokh; Garcia, Piedad; Unützer, Jürgen; Hough, Richard; Jeste, Dilip V
                              Source: American Journal of Psychiatry. Vol 162(2), Feb 2005, pp. 370-376
                              This article seems to be about the incidence of homelessness among a group with serious mental illness. Is that correct? That doesn't mean that there is a significant incidence of mental illness among homeless, nor, as Squid pointed out, does it mean that a significant number of corner beggars are homeless.

If you have some numbers to support your claim that a large number of homeless are mentally ill or that a large number of beggars are homeless, I would like to see that please.

Assuming that a large number of corner beggars suffer from serious mental illness, t doesn't explain why making a charitable donation directly to a person least capable of putting it to good use, since they're seriously mentally ill, is a good idea, or why giving such a person a job they can accomplish is a bad idea.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a job clipping some guy's ad on your corner bum sign is a fast track to success, but I just don't see how it's a bad thing.

If you do recall or find in an internet search some recent supporting articles, I would appreciate a link instead of a citation so I can quickly and easily follow along with you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X