Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business theory behind the NES Revolution controller

http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/ninten...-strategy.html

Pretty interesting read. I like the concepts this guy has about the gaming industry as a whole.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Business theory behind the NES Revolution controller

The Rev will be hit or miss, if you ask me. There won't be an inbetween.

Comment

Major genre king developers like Blizzard, Valve, Epic and Square. Their bread is buttered. They own the mature genres and will milk them for many years to come.
      That's just rich lol and so true.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
        That's just rich lol and so true.
        That is very true indeed, but the whole mature gamer concept doesn't hit me as well as it (appears) to hit others.

I'll like Nintendo forever probably, and I'm DEFINETLY buying a Rev. However, most of their lost sales will come from those false mature gamers who go "Nintendo are kiddie! Eternal Darkness never came out, only Zelda and Mario!"

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
          That is very true indeed, but the whole mature gamer concept doesn't hit me as well as it (appears) to hit others.

I'll like Nintendo forever probably, and I'm DEFINETLY buying a Rev. However, most of their lost sales will come from those false mature gamers who go "Nintendo are kiddie! Eternal Darkness never came out, only Zelda and Mario!"
          I think you've got the wrong definition applied to mature. It's not a mature gamer, it's a mature genre. Basically a genre of games that have hit their prime and are the "standard" in their sets of features and such. Like Everquest was the introduction of graphical MMO's, then there was a period of growth in which many MMO's were made and tweaked. Now the MMO genre is "mature"; the audience expect certain things and tends to shun games that don't have them.

edit: Although, actually, I would personally classify the MMO genre as being in the beginning of the Declining stage from the article.
          [squadl]

Comment

Yeah i think MMORPG's are declining, however it has spawned new types of MMO genre interest. Systems like Dynamic campaigns with games, such as falcon has in it's features. Many games i see adapting a persistent type gameplay within other genre's.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
              Yeah i think MMORPG's are declining, however it has spawned new types of MMO genre interest. Systems like Dynamic campaigns with games, such as falcon has in it's features. Many games i see adapting a persistent type gameplay within other genre's.
              Exactly! Like an XP vault for games of NS:Combat!
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                Exactly! Like an XP vault for games of NS:Combat!
                iceburn

Comment

I think Planetside was the only game that came close to this. I like planetside but it's generic setting sorta turned me off.

I could imagine a Valve world like this or even BF2. Dangerous thoughts..

- -

Comment

I would say that MMORPGs are diversifying more than declining at the moment. There are now more and more games that are either MMORPGs or very close to them. More and more I think they are becoming a designer image, and when you lose a large player base to the next new thing it can be difficult to distinguish between 'brand' loyalty (ie specific game) and 'product' loyalty MMORPGs as a whole. I also feel that the hype around WoW was such that it attracted players who are not core to that genre as they got sucked in by their friends who were 'all' playing it. Now there is more choice there is not such a strong allure to commit yourself to one over another.

Maybe ;)

Comment

I think it was last month that World of Warcraft hit 1 million paying players.

Think of what you could do with 15,000,000 a month?

Luna can correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                        I would say that MMORPGs are diversifying more than declining at the moment.
                        I was using the "declining" term as defined by the business model in the article of my first post. Without a doubt, the big three winners (kings of the genre) of the MMO world are World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI and Everquest 2. True, there are new MMO's released on a seemingly weekly basis; there was a while there on gamespy that almost every other PC game they previewed was an MMO. But the introduction of new games in that genre has waned, and it will take a revolutionary step in design to present a new champ over the Big 3.

So far, no one has been able to make that step. As for MMO's, I'm pretty much done. Played FFXI for a little over a year, WoW for about two months. Nothing that has hit the market since even begins to draw my eye. However, there is one that I plan on playing eventually; it's called Society. It's basically an MMORTS, which is quite a unique concept. It also has some really cool features, such as being free to download/play and giving players penalties if they play for more than 8 hours a day (goodbye jobless powergamers). Sadly, it's not scheduled for release until 2007.
                        [squadl]

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                          Without a doubt, the big three winners (kings of the genre) of the MMO world are World of Warcraft, StarWars Galaxies and Everquest 2.
                          There, fixed it for you. As someone that doesn't play RPG games, these are the three games that I hear about in the news as being the money-makers... Oh, along with UltimaOnline.... I didn't even know that FF had a MMOG. I thought they were all silly Zelda-style RPGs...
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

From all accounts that I've heard, SWG all but died not too long after release thanks to lots of mishandling from Sony.

Yes, FF has an MMO. It was released first in Japan for PS/PC, then about a year later in the US for PC (then about a year after that, it was re-released for the playstation in the US). It has a pretty big player base, and I'm pretty sure it surpassed EQ1 in the quickness that it grew (there was an article about it a few months after release). Then WoW hit, and pretty much blew everything away.
                            [squadl]

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              There, fixed it for you. As someone that doesn't play RPG games, these are the three games that I hear about in the news as being the money-makers... Oh, along with UltimaOnline.... I didn't even know that FF had a MMOG. I thought they were all silly Zelda-style RPGs...
                              Well, in terms of number of people playing, FF XI beats galaxies with over twice as many players.

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

WoW pretty much doubled the the number of MMORPG subscriptions in one year. I think it's pretty safe to say that the genre is anything but declining. http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart5.html

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X