Howard Dean's Hatefest (political)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CingularDuality
    started a topic Howard Dean's Hatefest (political)

Howard Dean's Hatefest (political)

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/13505.htm

Originally posted by DEBORAH ORIN in the NYPost
    December 16, 2003 -- YOU won't be seeing any video of Howard Dean's x-rated, epithet-ridden New York fund-raiser because Team Dean made sure to bar the TV cameras. Which suggests they expected trouble.

<snip>

Comic Judy Gold dissed President Bush as "this piece of living, breathing s---" and Janeane Garofalo ridiculed the Medicare prescription-drug bill that Bush had just signed as the "you can go f--- yourself, Grandma" bill.

<snip>

And the Dean event got a lot worse. Comedian David Cross used the N-word for blacks in a disjointed "joke" apparently based on the premise that it's fine for a pro-Dean comic to use racial epithets as long as the goal is to claim Republicans are racists.

Comic Kate Clinton evoked Michael Jackson (hit with new child-sex-abuse charges) and said: "Frankly, I'm far more frightened of Condoleezza Rice" - the Bush national security adviser who has nothing in common with Jackson except being black.

Rice seems to drive liberal woman comics especially nuts. Sandra Bernhard insulted her in racial terms with a "Yes Massa" accent at another Dean fundraiser the same night. Perhaps the pro-Dean comics find it unbearable that the most powerful black woman in U.S. history, close friend to the president and his wife - and a brilliant classical pianist to boot - dares to be a Republican.

Actually, there was something to offend everyone. Dean rival Joe Lieberman got ridiculed for being unable to campaign on Jewish holidays because he's Orthodox. Vice President Dick Cheney was accused of talking "like Mary Jo Buttafuoco."

Cheney's wife Lynne was called "Lon Chaney" - the long-ago movie star who specialized in playing ghouls in horror films. And Cheney's daughter Mary, who is gay, was called "a big lezzie."

Even the apolitical "jokes" were ugly - like a suggestion that it's bizarre to see an Asian baby with Asian parents because so many Asian babies are adopted by whites.

As all this hate was getting spewed out, Dean sat backstage listening. Aides say he was fuming, so livid that he almost refused to come out to talk to the crowd. When he did, he began by saying some of the language was "wrong" and "I just don't have much tolerance for ethnic humor." But he didn't refer to all the X-rated anti-Bush and anti-Cheney attacks.

More to the point, he did nothing to stop the hate session. It was, after all, Dean's fund-raiser. He had the power (to use Dean's favorite phrase) to come right out on stage and say the "jokes" were unacceptable and he wanted it stopped, immediately.

<snip>
    Deborah Orin is The Post's Washington Bureau Chief.
    Anyone else think that this should be front page stuff? I mean people cared that Arnold felt some boobs many years ago, but this isn't a larger indicator of character? I recall about a year ago that a certain GOP member was trashed by both parties for saying that he supported Strom Thurmond's Presidential bid (which was on a segregationist platform). THOSE WERE COMMENTS ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WAS LONG IN THE PAST, DEAN'S SUPPORTERS ARE DOING IT RIGHT NOW!!!!

• _Ender_
    replied
    Originally posted by CingularDuality
    , but people that are trying to become the President of the United States of America might be required to hold themselves to some sort of higher standard if they want to be elected.
    Sure, he could of called a reporter an ahole...

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied
    Originally posted by Skylark
    My statement is more of a comment about the inequality of the media. I just want Dean to reap what every other politician gets. That's all.
    That's what I want as well... I personally don't have a problem with off-color humor, but people that are trying to become the President of the United States of America might be required to hold themselves to some sort of higher standard if they want to be elected. What burns me is simply the fact that there wasn't any serious reporting on this story.

These entertainers were conducting a fundraiser for Mr. Dean and he allowed their act to finish. I think that says something about Howard Dean. Whether you think that says something good or something bad is a personal decision, but I think people should know about it...

Leave a comment:

• Wolfie
    replied
    Too rich :P

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/17/elec04.prez.dean.osama/index.html

Dean's campaign manager, Joe Trippi, called the ad "the kind of fearmongering attack we've come to expect from Republicans," one that "panders to the worst in voters.
    The group was founded in November as a nonprofit committee known as a "527" -- named for the section of the tax code that limits its requirement to disclose the source of its funding.

Its leadership includes two people with ties to Dean's Democratic rivals -- David Jones, a former aide to Rep. Dick Gephardt, and Robert Gibbs, a former spokesman for Sen. John Kerry's campaign.
    Sounds like this group is more Democratic than Republican ;)

Leave a comment:

• Wolfie
    replied
    What about Clark's comments Cing?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/17/elec04.prez.clark.bush/index.html

"If I'd been president, I would have had Osama bin Laden by this time," Clark said at a news conference in Concord, New Hampshire, where he was campaigning for votes in the nation's first primary, January 27.
    It is easy to make such claims, especially when you can't back them up.

course I thought this was funny

http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/001432.html

Mr. Clark also noted that if he were Franklin D. Roosevelt, he would have captured Hitler, Hirohito and Mussolini in early 1941.
    :P

Leave a comment:

• Wolfie
    replied
    Anyone remember when Conan did the famous resumes and showed Jeff Goldblum's?

"played geek on...."

"played geek on...."

"played geek on...."

:P

oh and I did a search to find this on the net and look what I found :shock:

http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/95/381/11390_immigrants.html

Russian Jews created America :shock: :D :D

Oh and have we really gone way off topic or what? :P

Leave a comment:

• _Ender_
    replied
    I hate Craig Kilborn. That show is just unwatchable. He isnt funny and he sucks as a host and has horrible interview skills. Conan is so much better.

Leave a comment:

• fr1j0l3
    replied
    craig still has a show... it's just usually on while we're playing late @ night....

H, I gotta get that book then....

Leave a comment:

• luna
    replied
    I miss Craig Kilborn. Viva la Daily Show.

Leave a comment:

• H-Hour
    replied
    Originally posted by _Ender_
    Originally posted by dragon
    I like Bill Maher and miss his show. I recentely started to resort to Comedy central for the Daily Show and Tough Crowd.
    Jon Stewart is great. I cant watch Tough Crowd because well, its a rip off of PI and I dont think that dude who hosts it is very funny.
    I tried really hard to give Colin Quinn a chance, because Comedy Central is awesome and it came on right after Daily Show, but I just couldn't stand the show. The comedians tried to make jokes off stereotypes, but they weren't funny or witty at all, just base comments. Rather then making a joke about how women are bad drivers, they'd just go "Women are crappy drivers (insert profanity) HAHAHAHAHAHA" That's not a joke, it's just a blank statement. But they'd all laugh like they were kids getting away with saying "penis" in class. You could even tell on the show that sometimes the guest comedian would drop out of the conversation because it was getting so absurdely retarded.

Oh well, I don't get Comedy Central anymore so it doesn't matter to me.

And the reason PI worked well was because the people they had on the show could hold their own in an intelligent conversation. Not so with Tough Crowd.

Leave a comment:

• _Ender_
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon
    I like Bill Maher and miss his show. I recentely started to resort to Comedy central for the Daily Show and Tough Crowd.
    Jon Stewart is great. I cant watch Tough Crowd because well, its a rip off of PI and I dont think that dude who hosts it is very funny.

Leave a comment:

• H-Hour
    replied
    Originally posted by fr1j0l3
    Jon stewart is king !
    YES! My mommy got me his book "Naked Pictures of Famous People" for Christmas. :) Very strange. For instance, the chapter called "Martha Stewart's Vagina." Funny, though. I mean, it is Jon Stewart.

Leave a comment:

• H-Hour
    replied
    Yeah, that's what I thought happened Ender. I think my sentence was just convoluted and unclear. I wasn't attributing the action: "punishing them because they're not acting PC enough" to Bill Maher, but the ones who complained so much.

Leave a comment:

• fr1j0l3
    replied
    Jon stewart is king !

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X