Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irony

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/29...ads_from_.html

So D&D makes an ad against playing MMORPGs... then it turns around and makes an MMORPG. I think it's pretty funny, heh. The ad ain't too bad either.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Irony

haha... maybe a textbook example of "If you can't beat them, join them" ???

Comment

Not really. I don't believe Wizards are producing it themselves.

And it's not so much Anti-MMO as it is Pro-DnD.

And if you haven't played DnD you don't know WHAT you're missing or how true it is! The DnD MMO should actually be good though. It's like a normal MMO + NWN

Comment

IRONY POLICE WOO WOO WOO

The only irony here is the title of the thread. Move along .

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
          IRONY POLICE WOO WOO WOO

The only irony here is the title of the thread.
          Yes, I know what the textbook definition of irony is. Too bad that the popular meaning of the word in context is what matters today, not the textbook.

Thanks for staying on topic, though; I know many people would seek to post something meaningless to the content of the discussion in order to display their lack of knowledge about the material or their desire to disrupt the flow of things.

AzzMan: I don't believe WotC is producing it directly, but Turbine is working with them pretty closely. And I think the ad is pro-tabletop D&D, heh. From what I've seen of the MMO though, I'm pretty unimpressed with it visually. Skeptical of the gameplay, too; though I do like their idea of xp gain from quests only, not kills.
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
            I know many people would seek to post something meaningless to the content of the discussion in order to display their lack of knowledge about the material or their desire to disrupt the flow of things.
            many people would who whatzit the context of the huh wha?

Thanks for staying on topic, though
            What topic? The one you chose for the thread or the other one?

In any case I was kidding. Don't get your panties in a wad. It's kinda funny that D&D made an ad about not playing MM...ORG? (Is that right) and then made one themselves.

Yes, I know what the textbook definition of irony is. Too bad that the popular meaning of the word in context is what matters today, not the textbook.
            I recommend using the actual definition of words instead of some anticipated definition. It would be hypothetical of you to assume liturgical meanings prenatally. :icon16:

I am dead serious about defending the meaning of "irony". I have a tattoo about it. Don't mess with me when it comes to irony. I swore an oath.

Comment

I recommend using the actual definition of words instead of some anticipated definition.
              From the link you posted to define IRONY:
              A contrast or an incongruity between what is expected to happen and what actually does happen.
              One would not expect that a company that makes an advertisement that says MMORPGs aren't as good as playing with real people would then come out with their own MMORPG. That's irony.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

No. A an ad that says MMORPGs aren't as good as playing with real people that instead drives up MMORPG sales is ironic. If I say I don't like trucks and then I buy a truck that's not irony, that's changing my mind.

The full text of the definition you cited is:
                A contrast or an incongruity between what is stated and what is really meant, or between what is expected to happen and what actually does happen. Two kinds of irony are: 1) verbal irony, in which a writer or speaker says one thing and means something entirely different; and 2) dramatic irony in which a reader or audience member perceives something that a character in the story does not

In this definition an ad by EA Games that says, sarcastically, "MMORGs SUCK and only gaywads play them" is clearly meaning something other than the literal meaning of the words and is ironic. The other part of the definition would address an ad that claimed that there's no way that MMORGs could ever replace the joy of rolling dice with your D&D buddies when everyone watching the ad knew that MMORGs had recently sold 50 times more than D&D ever did. It's the Scream joke "I'll be right back". That's irony. The character expects to return quickly but the audience knows he's screwed.

Tattoo. Serious. Rock you. :)

Comment

I'm sorry Leej but most people conform to the use of the term 'irony' as stated by Cing.

It may not be 100% accurate but it is commonplace. Same with when people have 'theories.'

Comment

Most people seem to think that "it's" means the thing that belongs to it, but it doesn't, and they're wrong.

Irony is a word that has a meaning. Like "jackass", or "soup". Not only is it not 100% accurate, it's 100% wrong.

I was making a small joke about the meaning of the word irony. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. For God's sake drop it, because I can't. Tattoo. Oath.

Comment

OK, I spent several minutes googling "tattoo serious rock you oath" and haven't come up with anything. What the hell does that mean?

I stand by my statement that it the fact that a company releases a type of game that they've previously paid money to denounce is ironic.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Just to speak my peice, the definitions of a word are derived from how people use it. In this case, what IS always popular IS always right, and what IS always right IS always popular. We make dictionaries. They dont make us.

Comment

Most people seem to think that "it's" means the thing that belongs to it, but it doesn't, and they're wrong.
                          It would mean pertaining to.

"On the subject of man's will to live"
                          "Dave's car"
                          "Joshua's home"

All three are perfect examples. The second one, being the one you sited.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            OK, I spent several minutes googling "tattoo serious rock you oath" and haven't come up with anything. What the hell does that mean?
                            I means I'm a nut who's joking about being a member of a secret society sworn to defend the true meaning of the word ironic. Think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. There are those horse-riding dudes who have secret tats and charge nazi tanks to protect the Holy Grail.

Rock you means don't mess with me 'cause I'm a bad man baby. Queen's Champions would rock you. That bald singer for the Scorpions claims to be able to rock you, but I'm sceptical.

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            I stand by my statement that it the fact that a company releases a type of game that they've previously paid money to denounce is ironic.
                            I don't see it that way. If I denounced SUVs and then later bought an SUV I don't see that as ironic. That's like saying "I'll never do that when I'm a parent" and then doing it: new information informed a decision. If I said how much I hate SUVs because they're ruining the planet and then got hit by a Prius, that's irony.

Appeal to Authority here: Per George Carlin, noted linguist

Irony deals with opposites; it has nothing to do with coincidence. If two baseball palyers from the same hometown, on different teams, receive the same uniform number, it is not ironic. It is a coincidence. If Barry Bonds attains lifetime statistics identical to his father’s it will not be ironic. It will be a coincidence. Irony is "a state of affairs that is the reverse of what was to be expected; a result opposite to and in mockery of the appropriate result." For instance:

* If a diabetic, on his way to buy insulin, is killed by a runaway truck, he is the victim of an accident. If the truck was delivering sugar, he is the victim of an oddly poetic coincidence. But if the truck was delivering insulin, ah! Then he is the victim of an irony.

* If a Kurd, after surviving bloody battle with Saddam Hussein’s army and a long, difficult escape through the mountains, is crushed and killed by a parachute drop of humanitarian aid, that, my friend, is irony writ large.

* Darryl Stingley, the pro football player, was paralyzed after a brutal hit by Jack Tatum. Now Darryl Stingley’s son plays football, and if the son should become paralyzed while playing, it will not be ironic. It will be coincidental. If Darryl Stingley’s son paralyzes someone else, that will be closer to ironic. If he paralyzes Jack Tatum’s son that will be precisely ironic.
                            To my mind the D&D situation falls more under the "coincidence" category. Given business, it's entirely predictable: at some point the growth of MMORPGs became such that either D&D got in that game or disappeared.

Irony would have been something like MMORPG sales jumping 25% immediately after the ad ran. If D&D ran an ad talking about how much fun it is to roll dice with your friends and then went out of business over a die-related lawsuit, THAT would be irony.
                            Last edited by leejo; 09-30-2005, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                              Just to speak my peice, the definitions of a word are derived from how people use it. In this case, what IS always popular IS always right, and what IS always right IS always popular. We make dictionaries. They dont make us.
                              Sure. We could all learn language from Alanis Morrisette or from people who know what they're talking about: guys who write dictionaries.

Funny thing about irony. With most words that people misuse, they learn the *actual* meaning and say something like "huh. Wow. OK." and move on with their refined knowledge of the world. With Irony, people get defensive.

Isn't it ironic? Doncha think?
                              Last edited by leejo; 09-30-2005, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X