This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censorship of posts.

I have a bone to pick regarding the automatic replacement of certain words by asterisks in forum messages before they're posted to the community at large.

Why on earth is s-h-i-t replaced by ****, as in bull****? Is this a legal requirement forced upon TG in order to operate a public forum?

Good grief, we're happily posting enthusiastic action reports recounting shooting people in the head, knifing them in the back and eviscerating them with grenades, but we can't say naughty words like s-h-i-t? What's wrong with this picture?

Give me a break. Whose delicate sensibilities are being offended here? I'll bet real soldiers under fire say ****, or even ******-****** sometimes. Followed later by profuse apologies to their squadmates, no doubt.

Re: Censorship of posts.

Because we make an effort to provide a more mature atmosphere than your average high school locker room. There is no legal requirement that enforces this, but one should be able to convey their message without profanity, no?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by trent_208
      I have a bone to pick regarding the automatic replacement of certain words by asterisks in forum messages before they're posted to the community at large.

Why on earth is s-h-i-t replaced by ****, as in bull****? Is this a legal requirement forced upon TG in order to operate a public forum?

Good grief, we're happily posting enthusiastic action reports recounting shooting people in the head, knifing them in the back and eviscerating them with grenades, but we can't say naughty words like s-h-i-t? What's wrong with this picture?

Give me a break. Whose delicate sensibilities are being offended here? I'll bet real soldiers under fire say ****, or even ******-****** sometimes. Followed later by profuse apologies to their squadmates, no doubt.
      Well, there are degrees of profanity, that is true, but in a mature gaming community, one should be able to express an opinion without "going blue".

Be happy we don't enforce grammar. :icon_bigg

Comment

And why do you care? Is it so important to you to speak like that here?

Obviously, if we have a wordfilter here, it's because we want it here.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I don't enjoy reading a stream of mindless profanity in a message any more than you guys.

But it's unnecessarily arbitrary to equate maturity with an absolute absence of profanity. I think it's useful to be able to use a few well-chosen profanities in expressing oneself, particularly if the situation warrants it. Surely doing so doesn't disqualify me from being a mature speaker. By always speaking through a word-filter list we end up sounding like easy-listening radio.

I agree that there are degrees of profanity, and would want to see it used in moderation. But surely saying **** in a post doesn't make me an immature locker-room hooligan.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
            Be happy we don't enforce grammar. :icon_bigg
            Hey, I stand ready to do just that. I merely await Apophis' command. Can I enforce spelling too? :icon26:

Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Then you have the people who abuse it and their excuse would be "Well, thats just how I talk.."
              |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

I don't enjoy reading a stream of mindless profanity in a message any more than you guys.

But it's unnecessarily arbitrary to equate maturity with an absolute absence of profanity. I think it's useful to be able to use a few well-chosen profanities in expressing oneself, particularly if the situation warrants it. Surely doing so doesn't disqualify me from being a mature speaker. By always speaking through a word-filter list we end up sounding like easy-listening radio.

I agree that there are degrees of profanity, and would want to see it used in moderation. But surely saying **** in a post doesn't make me an immature locker-room hooligan.
                I agree, but just because you and I know when it is appropriate to spice up a discussion with a few well chosen four letter words, does not mean that everyone in a video gaming community will exercise the same discretion.

And let's clarify the topic here. Nobody at TacticalGamer is censoring you. We would not dream of trying to keep you from using whatever vocabulary you would like! In fact, you can post whatever you want right now....

...on your own website. :icon_cool
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yep we are cool like that here. You see on a forum where you have time to post grammatically correct posts and thought out discussions, there isn't a need to be vulgar. I reserve that for real life, in the privacy of my home. The forums are not just apo's home or root's home, but home to many many people and we respect everyone's eyes. Though it's been abused that's why we have word filters and Root.

cheers and welcome to TG.

- -

Comment

When I'm reading and I see the asterixes I just read/think the word you intended anyways.

Comment

I understand where you're coming from and I also understand your points. But when push comes to shove, everyone that comes in to these forums and posts doesn't have the same level of restraint and ability to use well chosen profanity in the same way that others would. The filter just makes our lives easier to deal with those individuals.

On that note. I'd like to consider this matter resolved and close the thread.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X