Harriet Miers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harriet Miers

I'm surprised Cing hasn't started a thread on her already. Thoughts on President Bush's recent nomination? Seems like she's pretty qualified intellectually, isn't "corrupted" or "qualified" by judicial experience, and is basically someone both sides can despise.

Not a bad choice. since it's impossible these days to get someone both sides can like.

Re: Harriet Miers

I'd prefer someone with some bench time, myself. I hate thinking that mere intellectual smarts can get you on the Supreme Court. A record to scrutinize is handy given that you're setting someone up to be a member-for-life of the Defend The Constitution Club.

It's like the papacy... sure, anyone who's been baptised can TECHNICALLY be the pope, realistically it's gonna be a cardinal.

If I were a Senator, I'd laugh her out of the room and ask for a member of the judiciary branch.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Well there have been 41 others in her shoes: http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/suprem...opriorexp.html

Comment

With the possible exception of the USAGs, I'd probably laugh most of them out too.

I'm just mean-spirited that way. :)
        [volun2]
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

I think the whole hype is remarkably similar to that when O'Connor was nominated. She turned out Ok, so I'm not worried. Heck, even Scalia has mellowed over time, and is starting to make sense.

Comment

Ideological pedigree or no, being on record as stating that president Bush is "the most brilliant man I know," automatically calls her intellectual credentials into question.

She has also been privy to 90% of the policy and paperwork of the White House for the past 5 years and George Bush's personal attorney for most of his career. Given that this administration is going to face a lot of legal investigations for years after it leaves office, I wonder if Miers will recuse herself if her old co-workers end up appearing before the SC?

Echoes of Lyndon B. Johnson.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
              Ideological pedigree or no, being on record as stating that president Bush is "the most brilliant man I know," automatically calls her intellectual credentials into question.
              LOL.

I gotta hand Steeler that one. I'll be nice and NOT say how far down the intellectual ladder I believe W. to be, but if of Ms. Miers' associates, W. ranks at the top of the smarts list... wow. :)
              [volun2]

Comment

Those theories about how stupid these people are smack of Intelligent Design: you offer ideas with no evidence. Worse, you offer ideas that stand in stark contrast to all evidence.

Your position is that a Yale and Harvard graduate, twice-elected governor of a large state, and twice elected president is an idiot.

Here is Harriet Miers's resume: http://pview.findlaw.com/view/2172806_1?channel=LP

Is the FSM responsible for your "beliefs" about where Bush is on the intellectual ladder?

In any case, it would seem that your position is basically that anyone Bush nominates is wrong because Bush is stupid. Check.

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa. Easy there.

I think Bush makes poor decisions. Based on what he says, how he speaks, and what he does, I think he is an intellectual lightweight and a piss-poor manager. These are opinions. I do not have his IQ test or his SAT scores to "prove" his intellectual abilities, but he does not fill me with confidence in his abilities to lead.

I have no idea what Intelliegnt Design or the Flying Spaghetti Monster has to do with any of it.

Originally posted by leejo
                  In any case, it would seem that your position is basically that anyone Bush nominates is wrong because Bush is stupid. Check.
                  Incorrect. Do you assume that anyone Bush nominates is a good pick because Bush is infallible?

You asked for an opinion on the Miers nomination. I gave it to you, and my reasons for it. If you don't like that opinion, too bad. Don't cast baseless insults at people for it.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

I would prefer someone that has actually been a judge before, and that is less close to Bush on a personal level.
                    [squadl]
                    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Those theories about how stupid these people are smack of Intelligent Design: you offer ideas with no evidence. Worse, you offer ideas that stand in stark contrast to all evidence.

Your position is that a Yale and Harvard graduate, twice-elected governor of a large state, and twice elected president is an idiot.

Here is Harriet Miers's resume: http://pview.findlaw.com/view/2172806_1?channel=LP

Is the FSM responsible for your "beliefs" about where Bush is on the intellectual ladder?

Bush, for his failings (can't speak in public worth a damn, trigger happy) is not stupid. I've never thought that.

I've always thought he was a master politician...he has the intellectual pedigree, but breaks everything down so that it's aimed at the common man. That's hard to do.

True, he was a C student at Yale, but he was a bit of a hell raiser, so *shrugs*. Keep in mind, that was at the time when a "Gentleman's C" was something expected, not frowned upon.

He was a terrible, terrible businessman though. :D

Comment

Nah, he was a texas oilman in the early 80's and there were a zillion people going out of business then. In houston the pawn shops had drive-through windows so the ladies could hock their rocks without having to get out of their caddilacs.

I don't think Bush is infallible, and I'm not particularly thrilled with this nomination. Like any good compromise, it leaves everyone unhappy. The arch-conservatives don't like her because she doesn't cram some idiology down the liberals' throats. The liberals don't like her mostly because Bush picked her from what I've seen. That and she's a Christian who knows the President personally. I suppose he could have picked a total stranger who didn't share his philosophies but that seems a silly thing to do.

Comment

i was totally suprised by this move. i could see him nominating someone like in his 1st term. but when hes almost done is not making any sence. I agree with Tarpan someone with some bench time is always a smart move but then again she is new and will have to make her own opions.

should be interesting.....to say the least
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

I'm surprised Cing hasn't started a thread on her already. Thoughts on President Bush's recent nomination?
                            I'm kinda ambivalent about it... I'm actually glad that she's not a judge. Our nation wasn't intended to be run by career politicians and judges. I think it should be regular ol' everyday people and she's closer to that than we've seen in a while...

'Course, it could backfire, but any nomination could. The freedom granted by a lifetime appointment can cause some very personal philosophical introspection...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X