Online resources on modern military tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online resources on modern military tactics

Can anyone recommend some online resources on modern military tactics? I wasn't really looking at squad-level tactics, but more of a larger scale kinda thing.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: Online resources on modern military tactics

Originally posted by munchkin
    Can anyone recommend some online resources on modern military tactics? I wasn't really looking at squad-level tactics, but more of a larger scale kinda thing.
    Like how large? Much larger and you won't be dealing with tactics, but rather with strategy...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Oops, sorry, must've had a brain fart :/
      I meant strategy.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I think Leejo is into the whole strategic scenario thing. He was doing some regular wargaming posts in the Members Forum for a while...
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I just found some of those. Wow.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Hey globalsecurity.org is a good all-purpose site. The Reimer library has lots of manuals and papers that address doctrine and operational issues. http://atiam.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/appmanager/soldier/start;jsessionid=DKvlJWN5vxRRVwtMTvGShpLLx6F4PBGnh nxh8NJNKMvtQ1sq72LP!1989308497?_nfpb=true&docGroup =official&_pageLabel=rdlservicespage

What specifically are you interested in? If you can boil it down to some search words, I'd start googling and dig.

Comment

The Marine Corps Gazette is a professional journal for Marines (mostly officers) that used to have monthly scenarios. I didn't see them on their website, but if this interests you, it might be worth a subscription...
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

You mean the tactical primers? Yeah they used to have them online I think.

Comment

Leejo:The field manuals on Global Security are extremely interesting, thanks for the link. In terms of boiling it down to keywords, I'm having a bit of trouble with that. Any more resources similar to the tactical primers that you posted a while back would be greatly appreciated.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I found the Tactical Decision Games on the Marine Corps Gazette website. They have quite an extensive archive.
                    http://www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/tdg.htm

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                      Leejo:The field manuals on Global Security are extremely interesting, thanks for the link. In terms of boiling it down to keywords, I'm having a bit of trouble with that. Any more resources similar to the tactical primers that you posted a while back would be greatly appreciated.
                      What are you interested in? What problem do you want to learn about and/or solve?

With regard to the tactical primers there aren't that many out there that I've been able to find but I'll try to dig up some links.

Comment

Basically, the situation is that I've become the section leader of an OFP squad, and am in command during exercises, games, etc. Most of the members of the squad either are or have been active military personnel, and expect a high standard of leadership in a military fashion. I was looking for resources on squad movements, assaulting and defending objectives, maneuvering, specifically with a few case studies or examples if possible. Also, after having my passion for moderately large unit commanding ignited by BF2, I'm also interested/curious in any examples, case studies or documented tactics utilising multiple squads.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

It sounds to me that your best resource is your teammates. In your shoes, I'd ask lots of questions and soak in as much of their experience and knowledge as possible.

Memorize FM 7-8 :) : (easy to find online by searching for "FM 7-8")
                          Ranger Handbook has info about mission planning and troop leading procedures: http://www.leswanson.org/Downloads/R...20Handbook.pdf

I love the introduction to tactics that I edited and posted in the members-only forums.

The Defense of Hill 781 is a run read too: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Holler if those don't give you plenty to chew on or if that's not what you're looking for.

Comment

Kick ass stuff! Exactly what I was looking for, and The Defense of Hill 781 and The Defense of Duffer's Drift are both gonna be picked up ASAP.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Duffer's Drift is online. http://members.tripod.com/Regimental...fers_Drift.htm

There are some other good primers there.

Glad the links are working out for you. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X