X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope the figure this out

I wish someone would figure out how to access this

From the article:
    "The United States holds significant oil shale resources underlying a total area of 16,000 square miles. This represents the largest known concentration of oil shale in the world and holds the equivalent of 2.6 trillion barrels of oil. More than 70 percent of American oil shale is on Federal land, primarily in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming."

I'm beginning to believe it isn't the gov't that's holding back oil access, it's the tree-huggers that throw a frickin' fit if drilling/digging is even suggested :/
    Last edited by phyllis; 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM.

Re: Hope the figure this out

Originally posted by phyllis
    I'm beginning to believe it isn't the gov't that's holding back oil access, it's the tree-huggers that throw a frickin' fit if drilling/digging is even suggested :/
    You mean like ANWAR? Yep!
    "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

the issue isn't getting to it, the issue is that extracting the oil is more expensive than importing it. There's no market yet.

I recently heard about a new method of extracting the oil in situ using a new method they believe will be safe and cost-effective. A lot of testing will be needed before that technique gets set loose in environmentally sensitive areas though.

Comment

What's this method Leejo?

Comment

Don't remember where I heard it or many details. Probably heard it on the radio during one of my weekly drives from Houston the Austin and back. They basically raise the temperature of a good chunk of the ground near the shale (several sq. miles) and get the shale to sort of sweat the oil out.

Comment

They had it on npr: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4683272

Morning Edition, June 7, 2005 Climbing gasoline prices have forced the oil industry to search for alternatives to importing oil from the Middle East. The federal government estimates that the oil shale of the Rocky Mountains holds more than a trillion barrels of burnable fuel. But the oil is locked inside of the rock, and finding a cheap way to extract it hasn't proven easy.

leejo - you are listening to npr?

Comment

I saw this as an editorial on the local news.
              "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
              [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
                They had it on npr: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4683272

Morning Edition, June 7, 2005 Climbing gasoline prices have forced the oil industry to search for alternatives to importing oil from the Middle East. The federal government estimates that the oil shale of the Rocky Mountains holds more than a trillion barrels of burnable fuel. But the oil is locked inside of the rock, and finding a cheap way to extract it hasn't proven easy.

leejo - you are listening to npr?
                Yep that was it. Yes I listen to NPR.

Comment

Leejo - from your other posts you didn't seem like the NPR guy. Intelligent Design and stuff. Just a bit of a pleasant surprise. NPR is all I ever listen to really on the radio.

Comment

I'm 14 and I listen to NPR. Garrison Keillor is the best show host in the world.

Also, the tree huggers won't let us drill for oil in Alaska, or off many parts of the coasts on the Gulf of Mexico. They won't even let us build a new refinery.

Comment

Oil prices are not due to oil avaliability. They are due to gas station owners raising their prices to maintain a nice profit and compete well with their fellows.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
                        Leejo - from your other posts you didn't seem like the NPR guy. Intelligent Design and stuff. Just a bit of a pleasant surprise. NPR is all I ever listen to really on the radio.
                        Why would you say that I don't seem like an NPR guy? I'm not an NPR guy, fwiw, but I do listen to all things considered and morning edition regularly.

Comment

The method I have found they're trying, is adding heating coils in the layers of shale, and heat it to like 650 degrees to bring the oil out. Interesting read here

Comment

I demand we throw this topic into a downward spiral and discuss the radio!

Personally, if it's not talk radio, I'd rather listen to my own CDs (as they don't play anything I like on the radio, aside from the uncommon Alice in Chains or Tool). The best I get is 101.1, close is 105.9. We need like a real electronic station, and a real metal station though. Not that they'd be popular, but at least get a daytime show with the aformentioend genres getting real music from em played.

What do you guys have locally?

Comment

Originally posted by phyllis
                              I wish someone would figure out how to access this

From the article:
                              "The United States holds significant oil shale resources underlying a total area of 16,000 square miles. This represents the largest known concentration of oil shale in the world and holds the equivalent of 2.6 trillion barrels of oil. More than 70 percent of American oil shale is on Federal land, primarily in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming."

Yes! How dare those *******s say we can't **** with the environment every which way on a whim without regard to future generations, especially not when it would be cheaper, less harmful, and more permanent to explore and utilize alternate forms of energy such as bio-diesel, fission, fusion, zero point, or anything else.

Make no mistake we WILL run out of oil some time. And there are things besides oil that can produce energy. But we also need oil for plastics and such, and at least those can be recycled. So why are we burning a limited resource that we dont need to burn?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X