X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Thompson gets rejected by NIMF

A gamespot article says:
    Thompson responds to cold shoulder
    Florida attorney fires back after National Institute on Media and the Family president asks Florida attorney to stop invoking the group's name.

See it
    Screenshot Index

Earlier today, GamePolitics.com broke the news that Jack Thompson, long known for his tireless efforts against controversial media from the 2 Live Crew to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, had been asked to stop invoking the name of the National Institute on Media and the Family (NIMF).

NIMF president David Walsh distanced himself and his group from the Florida attorney in an open letter to Thompson, writing, "Over the past few months, I and members of my board have a growing concern that your use of our name, without our permission, has had a negative influence as we try to educate the public on this important issue.

"Your commentary has included extreme hyperbole and your tactics have included personally attacking individuals for whom I have a great deal of respect."

Walsh then asked Thompson to stop using his or the group's name to give people the impression that the NIMF supports his efforts. He also asked Thompson to remove the NIMF Web site link from Thompson's own site.

Thompson, who has in the past made headlines for comparing Entertainment Software Association Douglas Lowenstein to Adolf Hitler, responded to Walsh's letter Friday in a letter sent to GameSpot, among others.

"Dr. Walsh's efforts are funded by Target and by a foundation run by Best Buy lawyer and Best Buy Director Elliot Kaplan," Thompson wrote, later adding, "I am suing Target and Best Buy over the Bully game, which both Target and Best Buy are pre-selling. You connect the dots."

Thompson also denied ever claiming that Walsh or the NIMF supported his actions. "The fact is, I have never suggested that Dr. Walsh approves of what I do," Thompson wrote. "I have countless times told people that I believe he is an expert about the dangers of video games. The mistake I made, apparently naively, is in thinking that a person of his expertise would use it actually to help some bereaved families rather than choose to protect his relationship with portions of the video game industry and its reckless retail network."

Walsh's decision to air his grievances in an open letter that was also sent to Kaplan, Target chairman Robert Ulrich, and Lowenstein drew particular criticism from Thompson.

"I am a Christian. As far as I know, Dr. Walsh is as well," Thompson wrote. "There is a very clear passage in the New Testament in which believers are admonished that if they have a problem with someone, to go to that person in private and try and work it out. He didn't do that. He did not want to do that. What he wanted to do, it seems is ingratiate himself with some of the folks that fund his organization, so that he will continue to be considered 'a responsible critic'--one who can be counted upon not to go too far with his criticism."

In closing, Thompson again lamented Walsh's actions. "A child psychologist who would give a heads up to Doug Lowenstein in such a matter without confronting me directly man-to-man is a person who has lost his way, in more ways than one. He is the latest casualty in an escalating war started by a reckless industry whose socipathic [sic] poster child is [Take-Two Interactive president] Paul Eibeler. Dr. Walsh has now cast his [lot] and his efforts, whether wittingly or unwittingly, with him."
    By Brendan Sinclair -- GameSpot
    Posted Oct 14, 2005 6:15 pm PT
    There's another article from gamepolotics.com that has both his letter in full:
    http://www.gamepolitics.com/index.htm (it's about halfway down the page)

Looks like his own people are backing away slowly :row__577: .
    Last edited by Steel_Penguin; 10-15-2005, 06:59 PM.

---

Re: Jack Thompson gets rejected by NIMF

:D. funny and wierd.

Comment

What a nut.

Comment

I've long said that JT is crazy and broken, but now I doubt that he is educated whatsoever.

"Two people who got Walsh's letter are you and Doug Lowenstein of the ESA"

What kind of lawyer writes a letter to a Senator with that sort of vernacular? Should be "received Walsh's letter", not "got". Makes me think he signs his letters with "l8r dude, rofl".
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I'm a big fan of Orwell's "rules" in "Politics And The English Language" (http://www.resort.com/~prime8/Orwell/patee.html). Rule #2 applies.

1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
          2. Never us a long word where a short one will do.
          3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
          4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
          5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
          6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

FYI when a lawyer is admitted to argue before the FL appelate courts, he or she now receives a copy of Strunk & White's "Elements of Style." Apparently the judges got sick of reading poorly-written briefs. Apparently all those powerhouse FL law schools just aren't getting it done.
          Last edited by leejo; 10-17-2005, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Heh, so does this mean that we can expect "u" instead of "you" in letters? :)

I'm a fan of keeping things from being overly dramatic, I was always taught not to use "expensive" words. But there's a degree of formality in certain things, one of which I would say is writing a senator. Besides, sometimes a longer word just sounds better.

By the way- your link is bad; it includes the ")" in the reference.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Huh? "You" is a word. "U" is a letter.

With regard to writing a senator, I agree that one would want to be more formal than the average forum post, but disagree that being formal magically transforms "got" into "received".

Sorry 'bout teh link. Thank u.

Comment

Recieved soundsmore formal. got sounds fairly stupid considering who he is writing too. Just my 2 cents ;).

---

Comment

Really? "I got a letter the other day" sounds fine to me. When is the last time you "received" anything? The only times I've ever "received" a letter was when I was making some arch remark.

Besides, it's passive voice to have received anything. I am in receipt of your 10/12/2005 letter is formal and active ;) Avoid the passive voice!!! :D

Comment

Are you a judge :p? I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I do think "recieved a _______" sounds better than than "got a _______" though. But what do i know :).Actually, if i remember i might ask my English teacher which one is correct. That'll settle this grammar showdown once and for all :).

---

Comment

They're both correct. I'm just pointing out that a lot of people think that formal=big words when it really doesn't.

Good writing is not about the effective communication of ideas in a manner most likely to be understood and appreciated. Good writing communicates with precision.

Comment

GOOD WRITING does not = LEGAL WRITING though now does it :).

---

Comment

Good legal writing is good writing.

Comment

Who said all legal writing is good.(This is fun)

---

Comment

And Jack Thompson is guilty of 2nd degree asshattery.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X