Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need grammar help in a hurry!

Please indicate what is wrong with this sentence, grammatically speaking:

So as someone who is responsible for ensuring future generations can actually use the English language, something many of your teachers failed to do.
    If your comment is in regards to irony, please wait until 2-3 replies have come in before posting, so as to not hijack the thread before I get my information...:)

The sooner the better, if you please!

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: Need grammar help in a hurry!

The end part is missing: "as someone who ..., I <missing>". I would say the sentence is not complete.
    Maybe break it up in two: I am responsible for ensuring ..., something many of our teachers fail to do. <and here the missing part:> As that I propose ...

Disclaimer: not native english speaker.
    Last edited by marstein; 10-28-2005, 01:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
      Please indicate what is wrong with this sentence, grammatically speaking:

If your comment is in regards to irony, please wait until 2-3 replies have come in before posting, so as to not hijack the thread before I get my information...:)

The sooner the better, if you please!
      It's only a fragment, and uses colloquial speech.

Better:

As someone who is responsible for ensuring future generations can use the English language, (insert some subject and verb here), which is something many of our teachers failed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        It's only a fragment, and uses colloquial speech.
        Brilliant! That's the word I was looking for. Thanks Guys. Hijackers, please feel free to post away.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

Yes, it is a fragment. You have two clauses (not including the "so") out of context.

You should have a comma after so or eliminate it altogether depending on the context of the sentence.

"As someone who is responsible for ensuring future generations can actually use the English language - something many of your teachers failed to do - <insert subject verb statement>"

...is another option. You can also use the "teachers" clause in a parenthetical, I think. I don't have my style book in front of me.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

What is a hijacker? In the terms you used?

Comment

Hijacking a post is the process of going off on a topic unrelated to the original post. For example, heckling instead of helping or talking about how great the english language was back in the old days.
              -33rd- BaneII
              Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Something along the lines of, "What country are you trying to translate from?"

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Or, discussing hijacking! :D:D

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

I thought it was funny how in the UK we 'overtake' cars but in the US you 'pass' cars.

Comment

You also suck on "fags".

Hey, don't get mad at me, that's their speech.

Edit: Fag is a UK term for cigarette.
                      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

bumping this back to topic...

As someone said previously it's fragmented. The wording is balky at best.

Before building a new sentence with the same words I'd ask what it is you are trying to get across. With that understanding in hand, I'd be llikely to rewrite it using more consise language and syntax.

just my .02--since you asked.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Robbym70
                          bumping this back to topic...

As someone said previously it's fragmented. The wording is balky at best.

Before building a new sentence with the same words I'd ask what it is you are trying to get across. With that understanding in hand, I'd be llikely to rewrite it using more consise language and syntax.

just my .02--since you asked.
                          This is an attempt to hijack the hijack. This is hijack time, everything is fair in war!

I like ob1one's comment on car's, i wish we used overtake in the states. It's so much cooler.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                            This is an attempt to hijack the hijack. This is hijack time, everything is fair in war!

I like ob1one's comment on car's, i wish we used overtake in the states. It's so much cooler.
                            Just so long as it doesn't include the required use of "lorries", I'm ok with that. :icon_bigg

Comment

Overtake is if you pass on the left and undertake is if you pass on the right. I always thought that's how you say it. Right?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X