Justice Nominee Samual Alito

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Nominee Samual Alito

With all due respect to Nominee Wyz(whose got my vote for all it's worth), I was wondering what people thought about Alito?

There seems to be a lot of media saying "This is the confrontation we were waiting for, an extremely conservative judge", and democrats complaining that this was a devisive pick, chosen purely to make the ultra conservatives happy.

I'm not sure I understand why. Is it TOTALLY based on his stand on abortion?

A sample of cases from an article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9875670/)

In 1999, Alito ruled against the city of Newark, N.J., after it dismissed two Sunni Muslim police officers who refused to shave their beards.
    Protecting the minority. Surely the Democrats would like this decisions?

In 2004, Alito ruled that a Pennsylvania law banning paid advertisements for alcohol in college newspapers was unconstitutional. "If government were free to suppress disfavored speech by preventing potential speakers from being paid, there would not be much left of the First Amendment," Alito wrote for a three-judge panel.
    Protecting 1st amendment, free speach.

In 1996, Alito dissented from the majority on his court, when it upheld the conviction of a firearms dealer for selling two submachine guns at a gun show.
    Ok, probably would not make Democrats happy. However, it doesn't really change the status quo, so doesn't seem as important.

In 1991, Alito dissented when his colleagues on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit struck down Pennsylvania’s law restricting abortion.
    This case later went to the supreme court and the law was struck down.

Ok, I understand that THIS represents a possible indication that he would rule against abortion rights. And I understand that this position is antithema to the Democrats, and is one of the major issues the Republicans want him in.

I just want to make sure, is that really THE issue? Does it explain all the rhetoric from the Dem's against him? So anything else this guy does is irrelevant?

Also, slightly different topic, do you think the fact that Bush tried a woman nominee first will help to insulate this nominee (at least a little) from attacks that he is another conservative white male?

Re: Justice Nominee Samual Alito

Well, according to Cingular, all that matters is his postion on gun-control. :p

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
      Pfft, I'll believe it.

Comment

Some people.... :row__681:
        http://www.drudgereport.com/flash9i.htm

Comment

That's pretty funny. :)
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

Sorta like farting at your wife's grandmother's funeral: not very polite to people you have to live with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
              :icon14: That's all that matters to me...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                :icon14: That's all that matters to me...
                You're saying the rest of us don't matter to you?

Pig.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Careful here, not for kids:

Streaming Video at Heavy.com
                  New to TG?

Comment

Alito is exactly the type of nominee you would expect a conservative president to put forward so I don't know what the Dems are whining about. I believe he'll be easily confirmed.

Alito seems like a good person to me. I hope he would be a good enough justice that he would rule on abortion cases based on their legal merits and not on his personal beliefs.

I never believed Meyers was a serious nominee.

Comment

Yeah what was up with that?

Between Ms Miers and Bernie Kerik I was truly worried that someone was asleep at the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
                        Also, slightly different topic, do you think the fact that Bush tried a woman nominee first will help to insulate this nominee (at least a little) from attacks that he is another conservative white male?
                        No way would you ever put up a friend for the sole purpose of ridicule. Bush REALLY wanted her for that position. Darn glad she didn't get it as I didn't think she was qualified. There were solid women who were overlooked, but you never put a friend in a position where they will obviously fail in order to insulate a candidate.

Lucky Shot

Comment

I think you are right, lucky, *I* don't think he put her up there to fail. However, that is why I phrased it like I did, "Do the facts insulate him", not "Did bush put her there to fail in order to insulate him".

Though Miers does seem like a bad dream, doesn't it? Leaves me shaking my head and asking "did that really just happen?!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X