Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver for the win!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...Marijuana.html

Exellent news, finally after so many years people are starting to come to their senses! Yes, I realize they will just use the federal laws, but it's a step in the right direction, hopefully more places will follow suite.

Re: Denver for the win!

Originally posted by Hero
    Yes, I realize they will just use the federal laws, but it's a step in the right direction, hopefully more places will follow suite.
    The feds don't have the resources to do anything other than try to make an example of a few people in hopes of deterring people from breaking federal law. The feds usually stick to big, long-term investigations of organizations, while the local police usually bust the pusher down on the corner and the hippy with the hand-rolled "special" cigarettes...

The feds said they weren't going to allow California to legalize medicinal marijuana, but they did and federal law is rarely enforced against personal MJ use there anymore...

This is an interesting turn of events, BTW. Denver crime statistics over the next several years are going be watched closely. This could be the big break for MJ legalization. If Denver's crime rate doesn't increase (especially drug related crimes and DWI), then perhaps we'll see more cities and states consider this.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yes, now just keep your fingers crossed. What I (and the article) meant about the federal laws is that the local police will just arrest them based on those laws...or at least that is how I read it, perhaps not?

Comment

Yes, now just keep your fingers crossed. What I (and the article) meant about the federal laws is that the local police will just arrest them based on those laws...or at least that is how I read it, perhaps not?
        Local police can't enforce federal laws... That's why every state has a constitution and set of laws that usually closely mirrors many of our federal laws.
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Local police can't enforce federal laws... That's why every state has a constitution and set of laws that usually closely mirrors many of our federal laws.
          What he said
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Oh, I read wrong, state possession laws.

Comment

Oh, I read wrong, state possession laws.
              Ah, that could be... I'm not familiar with Colorado laws, but in most states, police officers get their authority from the state and they enforce state laws.
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Unless a department specifically states it they don't enforce Federal laws. I can find out about Colorado though. State officers, I beleive are allowed to, but it is often decided at the lowest of local levels. One reason, perhaps the biggest reason, is the pro-immigration crowd. They go nuts anytime they hear about local cops wanting to enforce immigration laws and deport illegals. Especially since they know that the feds aren't going to do a damn thing about it. Oooops, hijack.
                "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                  Unless a department specifically states it they don't enforce Federal laws. I can find out about Colorado though. State officers, I beleive are allowed to, but it is often decided at the lowest of local levels. One reason, perhaps the biggest reason, is the pro-immigration crowd. They go nuts anytime they hear about local cops wanting to enforce immigration laws and deport illegals. Especially since they know that the feds aren't going to do a damn thing about it. Oooops, hijack.
                  Right. But not only that, but state and local officers usually don't have the authority to enforce federal law.

And the argument I hear for not wanting city PD to call immigration is because they "don't want illegal immigrants to be afraid to call the police in an emergency".

Pfft...

And, at this point, the feds can't respond to every single illegal alien referral. Here in Dallas, we have a little over a hundred agents to cover the entire northern half of Texas and the entire state of Oklahoma. That's hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of illegal aliens, with a constant influx of more, for a relatively small number of LEOs to catch (in addition to enforcing Customs laws and doing our task force work...).

Maybe we could let all the illegals get stoned and then deport them before their buzz wears off? <pathetic attempt at humor while getting the thread back on track>
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Yeah, this isn't going to matter much around here(Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones.). In Colorado, posession of less than an oz is only a ticketable offense as it is.

I'd just like to point out that if the south would have won, states would still have rights. Federal law should NEVER trump state law.
                    Last edited by Buck Fush; 11-03-2005, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush
                      I'd just like to point out that if the south would have won, states would still have have rights. Federal law should NEVER trump state law.
                      Wow, okay. That makes sense.
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

i can see it now news from 2008 "population in Denver triples"...in other news...the mile High city is suffering from CRONIC fog
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
                          Wow, okay. That makes sense.
                          Read your history.

Comment

if i remember right thats how the USA was set up to begin with let the states take care of themselves and the Federal just handles secruity and worldly events...but then FDR and other presidents before and after him took into there own hands to funk that up
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                              if i remember right thats how the USA was set up to begin with let the states take care of themselves and the Federal just handles secruity and worldly events...
                              Correct.

But federal law always trumped state law. The Constitution has always been the law of the land. It formed our system of government and is the supreme legal document in our country.

The federal gov't should not be arresting corner drug dealers. They have the authority to restrict interstate commerce, and that's the source of most "states' rights" people's frustrations... Even if you don't take drugs from one state to another, if the money crosses the state lines, then it becomes a federal concern.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X