• Marine Special Forces

Check this out:
    http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...,79698,00.html

Any bets on the name?

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: Marine Special Forces

Hmmm... Interesting. For a long time, the Marine Corps was happy with making their MEU's "Special Operations Capable". It didn't really equate to an actual specops unit, though. We had ANGLICO and Force, SOTG and the Recon battalions... It'll be nice to finally be represented in this type of warfare, although I don't think many people realized that the Marines were the only branch of US service that didn't have a "real" special operations unit. Can't wait to see an eagle, globe and anchor somewhere on this page: http://www.socom.mil/components/components.htm

Oh, and I'm betting that Force Recon becomes the basis for the new unit and that the name of this new unit may be similar...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have a question: How do the marines relate to the Army, Navy and Air Force? Are they a fourth branch?
      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

The Marines are actually under the Department of the Navy although they hate to admit it.

Functionally, and practically, they are their own branch. They protect the Navy ships and the Navy gives them a ride. :madsmile:

There is a lot of cross-over as far as bases and duties. I had Marines with me in every school and job I held in the Navy.
        New to TG?

Comment

From the top down we have the President then the Secretary of Defense.

Then the Army, Navy, and Air Force each have a Secretary. The Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy. The Secretaries are civilians.

Then there is the Joint Chiefs of Staff. They are generals / admirals. The Marine Corps have their own representative there. The current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is actually a Marine. The Army and Air Force Chiefs are called "Chief of Staff", the Navy's is called "Chief of Naval Operation," and the Marine's is called, "Commandant of the Marine Corps."
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            We had ANGLICO and Force, SOTG and the Recon battalions... It'll be nice to finally be represented in this type of warfare, although I don't think many people realized that the Marines were the only branch of US service that didn't have a "real" special operations unit.
            I had always been under the impression that Marine Force Recon was the equivalent of the Marine SpecOps, without actually being as recognized as Seals or Delta. Maybe I was wrong in my assumption, though.

And yea Wintermute, Marines are "part" of the Navy. Marines (in general) started off way long ago as the foot troops on ships, to protect navy ships from being boarded and also to board enemy ships. They've evolved quite a bit from that, however. And they're also certifiably crazy, too. :)
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
              I had always been under the impression that Marine Force Recon was the equivalent of the Marine SpecOps
              That's how I've always viewed it. OTOH, the Royal Navy marines are all spec forces.

Root
              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I had always been under the impression that Marine Force Recon was the equivalent of the Marine SpecOps, without actually being as recognized as Seals or Delta. Maybe I was wrong in my assumption, though.
                Same here. I thought there were a few Force Recon units who were trained to a level where they could be tasked with a SF mission if they were closer to the operations area than some of the other similar units (SEALS, Green Berets, etc).

I guess there is a difference in actually being tasked with a mission and being a member of SOCOM.

Nice to see the Marines will soon enjoy an operational tempo (missions handed their way) that is more equal with their SF counterparts in the other branches.

Too much of my info comes from Tom Clancy :row__736:

Thanks for the info Munchkin. :D

Comment

Yipee. Go TG 4th Force Recon (ie: SpecOps and Snipers) :D. just had to pu that in for you all to look at.

Comment

Well, it's like En4rcement described. I think we're talking about what SOCOM calls a "tier 1" specops unit and the Marines don't have one. Army doggies like to remind Marines of this, too...

No more, though, evidently.

The Marines have relied on having MEU(SOC)'s for quite a while. In addition, the Marines have always had some high-speed, low-drag units, and some are probably better trained than some of the "real" specops units. I listed some of them above: Force Recon, Special Operations Task Group, ANGLICO, FAST, the larger Recon Battalions and the MEUs (SOC).
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

The Marine Corps has never desired to be part of SOCOM. This is something that has bascially been forced up on them by Rumsfeld.
                      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                        The Marine Corps has never desired to be part of SOCOM. This is something that has bascially been forced up on them by Rumsfeld.
                        But won't that mean they can function pretty much independantly? Would they rather have the sort of changes we're looking at in the UK? The marines and the RAF regiment are potentially going to be owned by the army because those units resemble infantry units. They're also looking at moving the army air corp to the air force.

On balance I'd say the US marines are going to do better than the UK marines.

Root
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                          But won't that mean they can function pretty much independently? Would they rather have the sort of changes we're looking at in the UK? The marines and the RAF regiment are potentially going to be owned by the army because those units resemble infantry units. They're also looking at moving the army air corp to the air force.

On balance I'd say the US marines are going to do better than the UK marines.
                          I think there has been talk about absorbing the USMC back into the Navy or into the Army ever since the Marine Corps has existed... Here in the United States, it'll never happen. The Marines do more with less time and time again. The USMC budget is relatively tiny and, until recently, the USMC survived almost entirely on hand-me-downs from the other branches of service in terms of fielding gear. They're too efficient to get rid of...

Besides, America loves her Marines...

If the Royal Marines are merged into the army, that will be a sad day indeed. Many of our USMC traditions came from the Royal Marines and it will be sad to see such a proud line end...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

How do the marines actually differ from the army though? I originally thought marines were experts at taking beachheads and setting those up, and thats where the term Marine came from because they came from the water or carriers. But in Iraq they went pretty deeply into the mainland and seem to act more like the normal army. Whats the difference between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
                              How do the marines actually differ from the army though? I originally thought marines were experts at taking beachheads and setting those up, and thats where the term Marine came from because they came from the water or carriers. But in Iraq they went pretty deeply into the mainland and seem to act more like the normal army. Whats the difference between the two?
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps

The Marines have a unique mission statement, and, alone among the branches of the U.S. armed forces, "shall, at any time, be liable to do duty in the forts and garrisons of the United States, on the seacoast, or any other duty on shore, as the President, at his discretion, shall direct." In this special capacity, charged with carrying out duties given to them directly by the President of the United States, the Marine Corps serves as an all-purpose, fast-response task force, capable of quick action in areas requiring emergency intervention.
                              |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X