Re: Tom Clancy

Yeah, big fan here...

My favorites are:

Rainbow Six
    Without Remorse
    Teeth of The Tiger

Comment

I've read Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger. Both were excellent.

(Incidentally, I read them both before the movies came out..)

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

read a bunch of his books, love em
        _Austin

Comment

I've read most of them again and again, mostly the Jack Ryan books, but also the (not so good) op center and net farce ones. Rainbox six was a nice spin off from the Ryan books, but after reading it 8 or 9 times, it get's a bit....I dunno. I just prefer reading about all the crap that Ryan gets himself into.

I wish the guy would pay more attention to his own books when he makes the movies though. The books make fantastic scripts as they are. There's no need to go putting the president in denver, or killing dan murray in a film, when the guy becomes FBI director a few books later.

I couple of years ago, I saw a new Clancy book where Ryan's son works for some sort of CIA black unit or something. I was short on time and cash, so I didn't buy it or even get a good look at it. I haven't been able to find it since. Anyone know what it's called?

Root
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
            I couple of years ago, I saw a new Clancy book where Ryan's son works for some sort of CIA black unit or something. I was short on time and cash, so I didn't buy it or even get a good look at it. I haven't been able to find it since. Anyone know what it's called?

Root

The Teeth Of The Tiger

It was a pretty good read... :icon14:

Comment

I only have Rainbow Six and I never got around to reading it. I definitely should dust it off and take a gander soon though...

Comment

I'm in the midst of R6 at the moment, actually. Goodwill, 50 cents. :)

Tom Clancy went to my high school. And thus ends One Degree Of Pokerface.
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I can't stand Clancy's writing... I've tried over and over but simply can't choke his books down. I've read Hunt for Red October all the way and it was just painful... I don't know why I don't like it, but I just don't...

My wife devours his books, though. <shrug>
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    I've tried over and over but simply can't choke his books down. I've read Hunt for Red October all the way and it was just painful... I don't know why I don't like it, but I just don't...
                    I pretty much had the same experience - can't stand the stuff.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                    |TG-2nd|munchkin
                    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I like his books, but haven't read much past Rainbow Six.. I think that was my last one. I should go check the used book store for some of the more recent ones!

I tried the Op Center and Net Force books and thought they were horrible. He shouldn't have left his name on those, IMO.

His non-fiction books were awesome.

I'm not a big reader - I'll start a book then get bored with it after the first 100 pages or something, but his writing is able to keep my attention for some reason.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                        I tried the Op Center and Net Force books and thought they were horrible.
                        I heard about those series, and interestingly enough, they aren't actually written by him.
                        The names "Tom Clancy's Op Center" and "Tom Clancy's Net Force" are used as brands, and the books are ghostwritten by some unknowns.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                        |TG-2nd|munchkin
                        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

i believe a rainbow six movie is in the works

Comment

Tom Clancy doesn't have much input on the movies from hisbooks. It has gotten to the point that I won't watch the movies. They destroy the books for me.

Rainbow 6 was my favorite.
                            "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                            [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Read all of his older stuff.

Red Storm Rising is easily my favorite as it covers an epic grab for land resources and the old east verse west battle over Europe. Clear and Present Danger is solid, Hunt for Red October is fantastic. Cardinal of the Kremlin did not hold my interest. Bear and the Dragon had the potential, but failed as the US forces were not challenged heavily enough. The proposed Economic battle opened my eyes well before 9/11.

Great author even if he really spreads out the characters.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X