Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grockster shut down

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9959133/

They are kaput. Well, reorginizing to a pay for service...

Re: Grockster shut down

So what's this mean for the casual P2P user? Are there any decent P2P networks anymore? Has music/film piracy ruined a particular form of technology for us?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

(I look into my crystal ball)

I imagine that free networks will always exist, for legal and illegal copying of files. The systems really always have (though the newer ones are just more efficient). Given enough pressure by the courts and mainstream thinking, it'll just move to the shadow world like other dubiously legal systems, but I bet they'll become less important to society overall.

The "pay for" networks will hopefully become cheap, ubiquitous, and interoperable enough that most people will use them for everything legal, including (and the main draw to get them in) access to copyrighted material, et al.

Perhaps, and the only way I can see it staying around, a free system (or 3) WILL stay around, but it will absolutely have to work hard to enforce no illegal copying. The supreme court ruling hinged on INTENT of the software/company. If you can prove, through action and restraint, that the intent of a system is to only copy legal material, it should be able to survive.

I found it interesting that you said "music/film piracy" was to blame for ruining the technology, and not the RIAA and/or courts. I've definately heard more people blame the people bringing the suit, judging the suit, and enforcing the suit than those who blame the illegal activities of just a few law breakers. (no conclusion there, just interesting)

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
        I found it interesting that you said "music/film piracy" was to blame for ruining the technology, and not the RIAA and/or courts. I've definately heard more people blame the people bringing the suit, judging the suit, and enforcing the suit than those who blame the illegal activities of just a few law breakers. (no conclusion there, just interesting)
        Why would anyone blame the RIAA for protecting their constituents' property?

I don't think it's surprising that you've heard more people blame the plantiffs and courts, but suspect that says more about the crowd you're running in than the issues before the courts. That's not an insult, just a comment on perspective.

Comment

BitTorrent is the future here. P2P is going to be all pay to download anything with it's software except demo's and free content hosted by the original artist's.

Alot of artists promote downloading of their music because it's Exposure, recently there have been full albums released by artists for free. What other artist's don't want is stealing. The only way RIAA will enforce anything is by doing things like this and keeping sites and business's from allowing illegal downloading.

Imagine trying to arrest every hippy for their Greatful Dead tape dubs back in the 70's LOL

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
            Imagine trying to arrest every hippy for their Greatful Dead tape dubs back in the 70's LOL
            Get out of my dreams!

Ya take the tinfoil hat off for 1 stinking night and this happens....

Comment

Well, has the argument ever been that piracy is right? I do think that the RIAA has gone overboard on quite a few things, but I think they're doing it so that they have the ground they want after compromise.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The whole concept of Media sales is changing. Music CD's are within 5 years of being obsolete. Movies, Music, Software is already on the verge of Pay Per View or subscription over the internet. There already are a ton of legal providers who make this service and the ability to catch it On Demand at a reasonable price will only continue to spark this innovation.

Beyond the capability to stream music (Rhapsody, Napster, Itunes, and Grokster in the next 6 months), has anyone had a chance to use movie download services such as Movielink or CinemaNow? I tried Movie Link as I was given a gift card and have to tell you it's pretty slick for movie rentals. You can download a movie (Team America) in about half an hour, and of course it's a 2 hour movie to watch. The downside is that after you watch it, you have a 24 hour period to finish totally watching it before it deletes itself. It's great though for taking a laptop on a trip without needing to take DVD's.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Heh, Leejo, you're right, it is coming from the crowd I "run in", and I give 'em hell about it all the time.

And Cing, I believe any sane person would grant that "piracy" is stealing, and morally wrong... and that leaves me with the conclusion that some of my friends are clearly insane, as they won't grant that.

's ok though, I'm used to my friends being less than sane. ;)

And I agree with you Cing that any overboard behavior of the RIAA gives them room to fall back and still claim their victory, and that leaves it up to the public and the courts to push back on the RIAA and other groups to make sure they only enforce their rights and don't exceed them. It is an adversarial system, after all.

Cing, I only found it interesting, because it was so refreshingly logical instead of some of my friends belief that either they *deserve* the material for free, or that the industry deserves to be robbed because they have too much already. Still, they are my friends, and I will endeaver to return them to sanity. :)

As far as the tape dubs, it seems to me that modern technology has made it a different situation. With a tape dub, it was never as good a quality as the original performance or recording, and it was hard to multiply that copy to vast numbers. Digital content, however, copies near 100% perfectly, and given the file sharing technology we are talking about, is easily distributable in VAST quantities. So, I'm not sure bootleg Grateful Dead tapes were the same level of threat that we now face.

Comment

Interesting short read ABOUT the debate about RIAA lawsuits "RIAA Critics, and their Critics, Debate Lawsuits
                    Tuesday November 8, 2005 by Edward W. Felten"

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/

The site also has a few articles on the rootkit software scandel, et al.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                      Get out of my dreams!

Ya take the tinfoil hat off for 1 stinking night and this happens....

:row__586: LMAO!!!!

Someone just scored themselves some rep points....

Comment

RIAA going after people is not bad. The huge fines are though. Plus its not even theft, I beleive it falls under copywrite infringement. Charge people whatever thieves get charged when they get caught, but thousands of dollars for a infringed CD.

Az
                        [age-c1][command]

Comment

And Cing, I believe any sane person would grant that "piracy" is stealing, and morally wrong...
                          It is not stealing; it is violation of copyright law, maybe. (That really hasn't been challenged in the courts as of yet.) Now you can debate whether one law is more or less moral than another.

The whole "stealing" thing is spin pure and simple because when you hear that people are "Breaking Copyright Law" it doesn't carry the same weight as stealing. Stealing is something most people can relate to their ethics and morals.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Just as a side note.

Back in the day, the movie industry fought tooth and nail to prevent the VHS/Beta technology from comming into the market place. In fact they fought it all the way to the supreme court. Low and behold, twenty years later 85% of their buisness comes from VHS sales, and rentals.The RIAA was offered the same oportunity in regards to MP3's, and the use of downloadable content via the internet. Let's think about that from the Riaa's point of view, shall we. You can sell, and distribute your product with no manufacturing, no distribution, no packaging, no transportation, no wharehousing, etc, you get the point. So what did he RIAA say when this opportunity came about. They declined it. They greedy little mothers enjoyed their monopoly on the distribution system. Needless to say, the rest of society did embrace the new technology, and it has flourished, RIAA be damned. Only now does the RIAA and other buisness see the benifits of the technology, and the smart one's are adopting it and making tidy profits from it.

*gets off soap box*

Just my 2 cent.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X