• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermobaric weapons

Stuff like this is why I read defensetech.org:

http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,58094,00.html

Scary, but effective stuff:

Marines are using these SMAWs to demolish medium sized buildings in a single shot. Probably more accurate and less likely to generate collateral damage than an artillery or airstrike. But damn. I hope the other side never gets their hands on these.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Thermobaric weapons

Originally posted by Steeler
    I hope the other side never gets their hands on these.
    No Kidding
    AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
      Lol.
      Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
      Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by millipede777
        No Kidding
        Nope. More:
        http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001969.html

Thermobaric warheads put the power to demolish buildings into the hands of the average U.S. marine. But Americans arenít the only ones with the weapons. The Chinese, the Russians -- even guerilla groups -- now have thermobarics' shockingly destructive power in their grasps.

--------------------------

In a series of computer simulations called Project Albert, the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory has evaluated the effect of arming platoons of attackers and defenders with enhanced blast weapons in urban assault. The results are significant - when the attackers alone are armed with them, they are much more successful, but when both sides have them the advantage shifts towards the defenders.

This may be important for the future of warfare in cities. The spread of these weapons will make such actions more destructive, and it will make infantry assault even more costly in terms of lives.
        sigpic

Comment

It's on. Some reports list the incident in question as a result of an arms cache explosion, although others suspect the incoming munitions were enough to cause the blast. Nobody realy knows - there's your war reporting for ya.

Other TG thread here.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
            Probably more accurate and less likely to generate collateral damage than an artillery or airstrike. But damn. I hope the other side never gets their hands on these.
            I agree, though the "other side" doesn't seem to mind the collateral damage -- in fact they usually try to maximize it.
            Gigan - Shaman (Resto)
            Pistos - Semi-retired Shadowpriest
            ...and other distractions of various levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
              Too late? The top story at Defense Tech: Hezbollah`s Thermobaric Arsenal.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
              [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
              Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X