Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

A friend sent me an e-mail with this link so I figured I would share it with everybody.

Re: White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

Care to share your thoughts on it to get this ball rolling?
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I'll just say that she's got a difficult time distinguishing between "class privilege" and "race privilege". Overall, her article is bunk because of this...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Very amateurish analysis. That list is almost entirely anecdotal. Some it has the ring of truth to it, but personal experience does not equal data.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
          but personal experience does not equal data.
          I disagree. With a personal issue like this, where perception is reality, anecdotal evidence becomes the primary source of data.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            I disagree. With a personal issue like this, where perception is reality, anecdotal evidence becomes the primary source of data.
            In strictest terms, all sociological data is anecdotal, but collected from other sources or through surveys. The author's personal experiences can form the basis of a line of inquiry, but is usually not presented as a conclusion.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
              The author's personal experiences can form the basis of a line of inquiry, but is usually not presented as a conclusion.
              In an opinion paper? I dunno...:row__687:
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Some of the assertions presented are plausible. It seems like common sense that being in a majority race should serve as an advantage. Are the advantages significant, and do they support the author's claim that meritocracy is a "myth"?

On average, Asian Americans have higher family incomes than white Americans. They're over 50% more likely to get college degrees and more than twice as likely to get advanced degrees. This over-simplifies the situation, but makes important points nonetheless.

There is no pro-Asian bias in America. There is a pro-education bias. In a post-industrial service economy, every ethnic group succeeds to the extent that its subculture places a high value on education.

The belief that meritocracy is a myth and race predestines your future is a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who give up. And for whites who plan on living off of "the invisible knapsack"...good luck.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X