• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware devious bartenders

They may be out to kill you:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html

Originally posted by CNN
    The ruling said the bartender intentionally contributed to the excess by drinking shots of water, tricking the victim into what he thought was a drinking contest.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Beware devious bartenders

Damn, sometimes I'm so shocked. The old water trick. So the poor sod has to go to jail because some less than intelligent alcoholic drank too much.

"Hey let's dive off the Golden Gate Bridge! You go first then I go"

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
    - Wulfyn

Comment

This article doesnt say how long the guy has been bartending. Regardless, that is like serving someone 30 pints of beer in 90 mins. Was this bartender a complete idiot or was he holding some grudge with the poor guy?

I cant imagine why anyone would do something like that and not know the end result would be very bad. That guys BAC had to be close to .50, I think .30 is coma time. The poor guys "intelligence" probably went out the window after the first 5 or 6 shots, somebody should have been looking out for him, and if nobody was the bartender should have been. Instead the bartender was apparantly egging him on and encouraging him to drink more. I think the prosecuters could make a case for involuntary manslaughter. 6 months seems pretty light if you ask me considering he could've gotten 6 years.

Any lawyers out there? Could the bartender have actually been charged with involuntary manslaughter or have I just been watching too much Law and Order?

Comment

Perhaps things are different in other countries, but here in the United States, a shot of liquor usually has about the same amount of alcohol as 12 oz of beer. I don't know where you got your "30 pints" number from, but that's way off.

That said, I think that most places in the US, the bartender could be charged with some sort of homicide charge...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I guess I am seeing it that a shot of tequila is about equal to one pint, or almost two 12oz. beers. After all we are looking at the difference between something with 3-4% alcohol (beer) and something with 40-50% alcohol (tequila). The liquor category on most of those BAC charts includes rum, vodka, and tequila all in the same category as peach schnapps which doesnt make much sense. But speaking just in terms of amount of alcohol consumed it would take roughly twice as many 12oz beers to get the same amount of alcohol. Convert that to pints and you get around 30. Maybe there are other factors I am not considering, or maybe my math is off.

Regardless, it is a lot of alcohol. Some frathouse college kids hazing someone I might be able to believe, but anyone (especially a bartender) with half a brain should know drinking that much could kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by [CoFR]Bloodbane
            Regardless, it is a lot of alcohol. Some frathouse college kids hazing someone I might be able to believe, but anyone (especially a bartender) with half a brain should know drinking that much could kill you.
            I was going off this chart:
            Code:
            Beverage                  % alcohol       Size of        Grams of
                                      by volume        drink          alcohol
                                                    ml       oz

Beer (bottle)               5           341      12         13.4
            Beer (can)                  5           355      12.5       14.0
            Light beer (bottle)         3.5         341      12          9.4
            Light beer (can)            3.5         355      12.5        9.8
            Wine                       12           142       5         13.4
                                       12           170       6         16.1
            Fortified wine             20           56.8      2          8.9
            Spirits                    40           28.4      1          8.9
                                       40           35.5      1.25      11.2
                                       40           42.6      1.5       13.4
            And that is a LOT of alcohol to consume in an hour and a half! I've easily consumed that much in an evening, but not in that short of a time period...
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I am pretty sure I have drunk the equivalent of 10 shots in 90 minutes on several occasions. I know people who do that every week.

Assuming two 25ml shots = one 5% pint then that is 5 pints. It would get you good and pissed, and possibly throwing up, but not hospital. That guy must have already been drinking.

I know some guys that played centurion with red wine. One shot of wine every minute for 100 minutes. Thats 2500ml of wine or three bottles per person. Even dafter, they didn't learn and played the same game again a few months later.
              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

My grandmother was once lucid after a .40. Grams was quite the gal!
                "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                  I am pretty sure I have drunk the equivalent of 10 shots in 90 minutes on several occasions. I know people who do that every week.
                  I've probably done that on more than a few occasions, as well...

But twice that? 19 shots (well over a fifth of tequila!) in an hour and a half? That's a bit much...

I've killed a bottle or two in my time, but not that quickly!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    But twice that? 19 shots (well over a fifth of tequila!) in an hour and a half? That's a bit much...
                    Oh nineteen. I misread that and though it said 10. yeah that explains it. That's alot of liquor.
                    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X