A better idea for copy protection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better idea for copy protection?

I was reading through the FAQ for Galactic Civilizations 2 to see what the game was about, and came across this:

Originally posted by GalCiv2
    Q: Galactic Civilizations I got some attention because you didn’t have any CD copy protection. Aren’t you afraid of piracy?

Our primary concern is our customers – the people who pay my salary. They’re my overlord and I don’t want to inconvenience them. Moreover, piracy is really about how many sales are actually lost. What we do is put out free updates after release. We got Editor’s Choice Awards from most of the major game magazines for the original Galactic Civilizations, and that was on the 1.0 version in the box. However, we put out tons of updates after release that greatly enhanced that experience.

So let’s say someone got a “warez” copy. If they like the game, they’re going to want the updates, and to do that, they have to have a valid serial number that is verified on the server side (i.e., no cracks). So at that point, we’re going to get that sale or we would have never gotten the sale.

I don’t like game companies treating me like a criminal. If I’m paying $50 for a game then I better well be able to put it on my laptop and PC and not have to futz around with keeping track of the CD. Besides, I end up losing my CDs anyway.
    I kinda like it.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: A better idea for copy protection?

How dare they ignore the warez market!

Protection crackers will go unfulfilled!

Leeches will be left completely unaware that the game exists!

It is WRONG! They must be stopped!
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Who published that game? That's commendable.
      "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
      - Lazarus Long

Comment

Stardock is the developer, publisher is yet to be named.

Interestingly enough, Stardock is also the developer for a game that I absolutely want to play- the first MMORTS, Society. Check it out here:

http://www.societygame.com/
        [squadl]

Comment

what would happen if more companies would think like that.....EA would go under and the better games would be released working.....Makes perfect sence
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

There's already been a MMORTS - it was a space-based game. Fleets of ships and the like. I can't remember the name.
            "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
            - Lazarus Long

Comment

homeworld....
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Homeworld? That wasn't MMO.
                [squadl]

Comment

Brilliant thinking. Most games aren't perfect when they come out. Enforcing a valid serial to get updates is a great idea. CD copy protection is practically worthless unless Starforce is used. Even Starforce has its drawbacks with customers having problems.

Games like BF2 using copy protection is a joke. As if somebody would pirate that game when you need a valid serial to play online. It does more harm than good. The game was cracked by the release date.

Joint Ops did it smart and kept it going with a serial only validation. Why should a game employ copy protection if the primary use is to play online where the serial will be checked? It's understandable with a game like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Starforce prevented many people from pirating the game.

If Galatic Civilizations 2 is mostly online or they really do come out with good updates, smart move. Ditch the copy protection and use the money on something better like post-release support.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I certainly like the idea for the reasons that others have already outlined...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
                      There's already been a MMORTS - it was a space-based game. Fleets of ships and the like. I can't remember the name.
                      I don't recall the name, but a lot of my friends on alt.games.starsiege.tribes got addicted to it. Check on Google Groups.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                        I don't recall the name, but a lot of my friends on alt.games.starsiege.tribes got addicted to it. Check on Google Groups.
                        EVE Online?
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Tribes was great fun.

I really like the concept, who'd have thought, someone cares about the customer. Unfortunately I hope the company does not get bought out or pushed under. The bigger game makers need competition like this.

And alot of games try to be called 'The First' when rarely they are. Neocron claimed to be the first MMORPGFPS, when it was several months late to that playing table, but since the company that made it was significantly smaller than Neocron's developer, they had to fight much harder to maintain that title.
                          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

It the best copy protection that we can have, for the fact that is the cause of piraty.

What is this cause?

Ask any company right now why their are people who sell and prirate their games.

Most will say it because they want something for free.
                            Most are wrong however.

The single major problem we have with computer software is that, it cost too much, the companys want every cent they can make off a game right now. Ship it soon, hyped up, buggy, get their money.

The problem that exists is not that people want it for free, they want it cheaper. There is edvence of this if you look. One example i was told of is this.

Why is their no blackmarket(Piracy) for thermometers? It beacause they are cheap, have no restrictions, and their for their is no reason for people to steal them.

Now lets say that only one company could sell them, they costed $500, for the cheap ones you by today, or more, say $1000, or even higher. These thermometers are cheap, costing less then $1 to make. Their would be a black market, a large, common one. They would be cheap, just as good, if not better.

How about another case, Lets say they still are the cheap ones, but to makes sure you are using only apporved thermometers , each time you used it it gave a code for the result, and had to call up the local factory to find out the true result. Or you could only use one for 30 days before you have to buy a new one. And you could be force to show your thermometer at anytime to law inforcement to prove that it was real, and they would then requre proof of ownership, a sale's record, and more. Or maybe you would have to enter a key just to use it.

The question we should ask is not is their a better method of copy protection, but why do we need it in the first place. Book can be copied with no trouble, and cheaply. But they still sell, millions, and for some that is on the light side. You can make copys of posters, but why do so? You can make a copy of a board game, but why bother, it cheap.

Right now Copyprotections are getting worse. Starforce, the so called best protection lets any program that asks for level 3 rights, User rights have level 0 Rights, the root rights, at level 0 there is nothing you can not do in a system. Often called ring 0 they have full access to every system resource, you can destoy windows and hardware in little time here.

The best copyprotection, A low price. why copy what cost you little to buy, and has no restrains on it.
                            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Vinzalf
                              Tribes was great fun.
                              Tribes is great fun. My team still plays it (Tribes 2, that is), with a pickup every weekend for all the die-hards. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a TG T2 server?
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X