Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you call your favorite sugary carbonated beverage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you call your favorite sugary carbonated beverage?

I was raised in Eastern Pennsylvania, so I call everything soda, but I have lived in Georgia for nearly four years, and everyone refers to all soda as coke. If I order a pepsi at a restaurant (coke and my stomach do not mix well), people look offended. My friends will not even touch pepsi (coincidently, pepsi is always on sale down here which makes me a very happy soda drinker). However, as Cing said in one of his earlier posts, when I worked at Taco Bell I had to ask people what kind of coke they wanted because coke does not mean "Coca cola." I'd get responses like "oh, the clear kind" (sierra mist) or the "lemon lime stuff" (mountain dew). And if you asked them if it's ok that the "coke" was pepsi products, even though the sign said so in the drive thru, they automatically asked for a Dr. Pepper. -shrugs-
    --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Soda or coke, which goes against the trend of Colorado. I'm noncomformist.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
        why would someone quiz 150,000 people on this subject?!
        http://www.bartleby.com/138/

Language, linguistics, dialects, etc...

It's interesting... And it has much more scientific value than most people might think...

On a side note, I work with an English lady. You know those soap dispensers, where you push on a lever and the liquid soap comes out? Well, we have some of the refills laying around at work without the dispenser. I don't know if you've ever seen one, but they're dispensed via a double valve configuration: big bag>one way valve>rubber tube that's usually squeezed by the dispenser>one way valve>nozzle. Anyway, someone couldn't figure out how to get the soap out. They were squeezing the bag with all their might, but nothing was coming out. I told them to "milk" the rubber tube to get the soap out. This lady gasped. I said, "what?". She said that she would never use that term because it's nasty. Evidently, it's used over there as a descriptive for masturbation...

I take it, then, that in England, you wouldn't use the phrase "milking it for all it's worth", which would mean to use something small to take as much advantage of the situation as possible? Example: He sprained his toe at work and is getting worker's compensation. He was legitimately hurt, but not that bad, now he's just milking it for all it's worth...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Slashdot: Coca-Cola's Coffee Soda
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

i said somethithe specifdic drink... ng else because in england we just use the name of specific drink...

dr pepper

fanta

coke

diet coke

pepsi

tango

if i ask for soda it refers to carbonated soda water which accompanies whiskey or white whine spritzers....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I call my favorite Orange Faygo. Bay-bee.

The preferred drink of every Dinner Table Knight.
              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Rise from the dead, oh ancient thread! I command thee!
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                  Rise from the dead, oh ancient thread! I command thee!
                  Yep, found actually the same map but didn't find it when I searched our forums. My bad.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Sorry, I couldn't resist picking on you. The fact that I remembered the old thread is probably more disturbing than the fact that you didn't see it in a search. :D
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Well If you raise it from teh depths I will vote.

I'm in TN (not far from the esteemed Faultline) and all things carbonated are "Coke". Typical conversation in my house:

Me: "Honey bring me a coke"
                      Honey: "Sure, what do you want?"
                      Me: "Mountain Dew"

Seriously.
                      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Coke for sure. I was raised in GA so Coke is swimming thru my veins. I've tried to cut back on my intake but it's hard. In many ways I think it's as difficult to quit as smoking or heroin, refined sugar is a hook.

I can't drink Pepsi, it's to sweet, believe it or not. Coke just has that right mix of sweetness, carbonation and caffeine.
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                        - Check me out on The Onion
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                          Coke for sure. I was raised in GA so Coke is swimming thru my veins. I've tried to cut back on my intake but it's hard. In many ways I think it's as difficult to quit as smoking or heroin, refined sugar is a hook.

I can't drink Pepsi, it's to sweet, believe it or not. Coke just has that right mix of sweetness, carbonation and caffeine.
                          I agree, but that's not the point of this thread. We want to know what you call your soft drinks: soda? pop? coke? or something else?
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            http://www.bartleby.com/138/

Language, linguistics, dialects, etc...

It's interesting... And it has much more scientific value than most people might think...

On a side note, I work with an English lady. You know those soap dispensers, where you push on a lever and the liquid soap comes out? Well, we have some of the refills laying around at work without the dispenser. I don't know if you've ever seen one, but they're dispensed via a double valve configuration: big bag>one way valve>rubber tube that's usually squeezed by the dispenser>one way valve>nozzle. Anyway, someone couldn't figure out how to get the soap out. They were squeezing the bag with all their might, but nothing was coming out. I told them to "milk" the rubber tube to get the soap out. This lady gasped. I said, "what?". She said that she would never use that term because it's nasty. Evidently, it's used over there as a descriptive for masturbation...

I take it, then, that in England, you wouldn't use the phrase "milking it for all it's worth", which would mean to use something small to take as much advantage of the situation as possible? Example: He sprained his toe at work and is getting worker's compensation. He was legitimately hurt, but not that bad, now he's just milking it for all it's worth...
                            "I agree, but that's not the point of this thread. We want to know what you call your soft drinks: soda? pop? coke? or something else?" - to quote you.

I voted Coke and was adding a statement - perhaps you were as well with your above statement. :)
                            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                            "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                            - Check me out on The Onion
                            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Ah....

Perhaps.

;)
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Well I voted soda cause that's what we say in my house for any non alcoholic carbonated beverage...

I'm a bit surprised noone reported the use of "tonic". I'm from New England and the older people in my family--I'm talking grand mother and great grandmother--always called soft drinks "tonic"...Anyone ever hear of "Moxie" that stuff tasted like hair tonic so maybe thats where it came from.

I bet Mosely knows what Moxie is...living up in the grand state of Maine.
                                Last edited by Grunt 70; 09-21-2006, 10:16 PM.
                                sigpic
                                |TG-1st|Grunt
                                ARMA Admin (retired)
                                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...