Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why we speak English... (political joke)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we speak English... (political joke)

An officer in the U.S. Naval reserve was attending a
    conference that included admirals from both the U.S. Navy and the
    French Navy.

The French admiral started complaining that whereas
    Europeans learned many languages, Americans learned only
    English. He then asked "Why is it that we have to speak English in
    these conferences rather than you speak French?"

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied,
    "Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged
    it so you would not have to speak in German."

The group became silent.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Thats offensive and the political incorrect and factually wrong, I am offended......hehehe only joking Cing, I'm sure someone will take offence though ;)

Comment

Screw the French...I thought it was damn funny.

I've never cared for them anyhow....way before 2001 I've disliked them. I flew in a joint excercise with some of there guys and they were mostly pricks. Real snotty attitudes.

Of course, 5-8 people don't make a nation, as there's plenty of cute French chicks I'd like to get to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre
        Screw the French...
        Aye, the closest I've got is Italian, and she was disturbed.

Comment

there's plenty of cute French chicks I'd like to get to know.
          Like Audrey Tautou!! :):):):):):):):):):)

[volun]

Comment

hhour the image didnt work here...

oh my god what a great joke though thats it i have stolenm that and i am going to tell that everywhere.... wicked.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Good joke, but resting on laurels from 50 years ago can't really explain why we fail to be bilingual like most other rich countries. We can't even put it down to our arrogance because the French have got us beat there too...
              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Well here in NYC where every language in the world is spoken , spanish is taught in the public schools... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Brooklyn
                  Well here in NYC where every language in the world is spoken , spanish is taught in the public schools... :)
                  Yeah, but it's still an optional course... There's no public school system in the US that requires 4 years of a foreign language. If you look at most of the rest of the world, however, you'll find that most children (even in 3rd world countries that have school systems) learn 3 or 4 languages.

Then again, if everyone's willing to learn your language, why bother with other languages?
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                    Good joke, but resting on laurels from 50 years ago can't really explain why we fail to be bilingual like most other rich countries. We can't even put it down to our arrogance because the French have got us beat there too...
                    We don't really have the economic necessity to learn another language. Our Borders are shared with only two countries, and one of them is a predominantly english speaking country and the other...well...

When I was in high school I took French because everyone said you had to know it. But in college I could see that Spanish would (does) have a much greater impact on our country socially and economically. Thank god I took all those classes, and even two semesters in Guadalajara, Mexico. I might not have ever met my gorgeous wife!!!! And now my Son will definitley be bilingual. :D
                    New to TG?

Comment

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact English is the most widely spoken language in the world. The second language learnt by somebody is almost always English just to get by.

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                        hhour the image didnt work here...

oh my god what a great joke though thats it i have stolenm that and i am going to tell that everywhere.... wicked.
                        Hey Dudeman I am sure your french friends may get upset LMAO
                        WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Hour
                          there's plenty of cute French chicks I'd like to get to know.
                          Like Audrey Tautou!! :):):):):):):):):):)

http://www.geocities.com/audreytautou2/
                          New to TG?

Comment

Grr! I give up. This image isn't working either now. Audrey Tautou is French and I'm in love with her. That's all you need to now.
                            [volun]

Comment

Oh, and in my school we had to take 2 years of a foreign language in high school, but it was set up so that most people took a year before high school that didn't count towards credits, so they got to Spanish/French/German 3. I took Spanish 3 and, because of a terrible, terrible teacher (that had tenure of course), I knew less coming out of 3 then I did coming out of 2. I can no longer even make a sentence in Spanish.
                              [volun]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X