• Bush Hates White People

Whites died at the highest rate of all races in NO

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.as...20051214b.html

Screams irony to me

Statistics Suggest Race Not a Factor in Katrina Deaths
    By Nathan Burchfiel
    CNSNews.com Correspondent
    December 14, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Statistics released by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals suggest that fewer than half of the victims of Hurricane Katrina were black, and that whites died at the highest rate of all races in New Orleans.

Liberals in the aftermath of the storm were quick to allege that the Bush administration delayed its response to the catastrophe because most of the victims were black.

Damu Smith, founder of the National Black Environmental Justice Network, in September said that the federal government "ignored us, they forgot about us ... because we look like we look."

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan in October said that the Federal Emergency Management Agency wasn't fit to help the storm's victims because "there are not enough blacks high up in FEMA" and added that, "certainly the Red Cross is the same."

Rapper Kanye West used his time on NBC's telethon for the hurricane victims to charge that, "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

But the state's demographic information suggests that whites in New Orleans died at a higher rate than minorities. According to the 2000 census, whites make up 28 percent of the city's population, but the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals indicates that whites constitute 36.6 percent of the storm's fatalities in the city.

African-Americans make up 67.25 percent of the population and 59.1 percent of the deceased. Other minorities constitute approximately 5 percent of the population and represented 4.3 percent of the storm's fatalities.

Overall for the state, 658 bodies have been identified. Forty-seven percent were African-American and 42 percent were Caucasian. The remaining bodies were either non-black minorities or undetermined.

An additional 247 victims have not been identified, so their demographic information has not been released.

The data showed that the majority of Katrina's victims lived in the Orleans parish. The nearby St. Bernard and Jefferson parishes had 91 and 25 victims, respectively.

The storm also did not discriminate based on gender. Fifty percent of the victims were male and 49 percent were female, with 1 percent being undetermined.

Calls requesting comment from Damu Smith and the Nation of Islam were not returned Wednesday.
    [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
    [tg-c1]<victory

Re: Bush Hates White People

mike myers needs to get kenya west on TV and say that...would be funny
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I really don't like all the race stuff associated with Katrina. I think it's just ridiculous.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin
        I really don't like all the race stuff associated with Katrina. I think it's just ridiculous.
        Agreed.

GOD CREATED KATRINA TO PUNISH ALL THE EVIL PEOPLE IN NEW ORLEANS LOLOL

Comment

OMG you just made my day Hero HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

---

Comment

Nope. Comments like that (if they're serious)make me go UGHH...

---

Comment

Comment

i actually find that picture offensive......
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Kanye West's comments weren't about who died so much as about who was still living.

The storm didn't discriminate, I don't think; the allegation was that in the aftermath, those still living (67.25 percent of NO, according to the quote) were feeling the effects of the administration's ineptitude.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I have heard it said that a certain degree of negligence is indistinguishable from malice.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                      Kanye West's comments weren't about who died so much as about who was still living.

The storm didn't discriminate, I don't think; the allegation was that in the aftermath, those still living (67.25 percent of NO, according to the quote) were feeling the effects of the administration's ineptitude.
                      The allegation wasn't merely that the administration is inept, but that it failed to respond to the disaster in New Orleans because the majority of the population is black. In other words, had New Orleans contained a larger number of whites, the government would have been better prepared to handle the storm. Since the city is mostly black, West's argument goes, they chose not to act. If true, the government is extraordinarily evil and racist.

But is there evidence that this is the case? Other than the stereotype of whites being racist, is there any proof that the government took the city's racial makeup into account when preparing for the disaster? Or is FEMA an "equal-opportunity bungler" that, when working with the state and local officials did the best it could do to save lives?

As far as I'm aware, there's no evidence in the form of statements, memos or anything else that shows the government chooses not to pour resources into saving lives if the black population is too high.

If you're predisposed to believe the people in government are fundamentally well-intentioned, good people who try to help others, you're not going to believe racism was responsible for the tragedy in New Orleans. But if you're predisposed to believe that the people in government are fundamentally evil and racist, you'll think otherwise.

Comment

I happen to think that they're fundamentally inept. :P
                        [volun2]
                        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

And i happen to think you're right :). (or is it :(?)

---

Comment

Originally posted by James315
                            As far as I'm aware, there's no evidence in the form of statements, memos or anything else that shows the government chooses not to pour resources into saving lives if the black population is too high.
                            It would be unusual to find any overt textual proof of a double standard. These are questions of motivation, not policy. Certainly there were a lot of FEMA workers, black and white, on the ground in NO working their butts off. The issue is the lackadaisical response from the higher-ups, who seemed more preoccupied with the appearance of working than actually managing the disaster relief.

If a disaster of this scope had hit, say, Orlando, the response would have been much more comprehensive. But is that a symptom of bias of economic class or of race? Likely it's both.

Here's a roundabout argument that I more or less agree with, but it's a little complicated:

Historically in the U.S., we don't treat our poor very well. There is a lot of resistance in many circles to charitable poverty relief, particularly from tax money. There are many angry arguments against welfare, social support systems, etc. The government is simply not particularly responsive to the needs of the poor. Why?

One theory states that in the popular culture, poverty is traditionally a minority problem. Most of the national dialogue (entertainment and news) on poverty deals with urban decay (as opposed to the post-war period, when poverty was popularly a rural backwater problem). Bluntly, today's poverty has a black face.

So you get this conflation that poor=black, when of course statistically that is blatantly not the case. But it allows for a merger of two discriminatory forces: against race and against class.

So does President Bush hate black people? No. Is he indifferent to the needs of poor people? Often times it seems that way. In his mind, does poor=black? Only he knows. But a lot of his political allies seem to believe that last point.

Mind you, I think the fact that Bush spent his first term gutting FEMA and staffing it with a bunch of incompetant crony [email protected]*kwits had more to do with the problems than anything else, but I don't blame anyone caught in the crossfire for feeling a little discriminated against.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                              Historically in the U.S., we don't treat our poor very well. There is a lot of resistance in many circles to charitable poverty relief, particularly from tax money. There are many angry arguments against welfare, social support systems, etc. The government is simply not particularly responsive to the needs of the poor. Why?
                              The resistance to charitable poverty relief from tax money has less to do with opposition to charity and more to do with differences of opinion about the role of the government. Some believe that charity should always be a voluntary act and that the government is a poor vehicle for it because of bureaucratic inefficiency. Others believe that decisions on charity should be made by the public at large and implemented through the government, with bureaucratic inefficiency being a necessary evil. But both groups want to and do give a lot to charity. I think historically the U.S. has been a very generous country in giving to the poor, both domestically and internationally, through private charities and from the government.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X