Help! My car door won't close!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! My car door won't close!

I can't seem to reach Paul, so I need manly car advice, STAT. It's absolutely freezing here, and it seems as though the latch in my door is frozen. NOT the lock- the lock has its own set of issues. I close the door, and it bounces back open. There is nothing obvious that is blocking the door. What are the steps I should take so I can get to class tonight? :)

C'mon, guys- I need help fast!

boil some water and then pour it onto the door..

Comment

But then won't it freeze again while I'm in class?

Comment

pee on it. oh wait you don't have a spigot
        flux
        [tg-c1]

Comment

right... not an option, I'm afraid.

Comment

pour hot water on it. It may freeze while you're away but it will freeze shut and you can use the other door until a more permanent solution comes along.

Comment

I got in touch with Paul, and he suggested I start up the car and blast the heat for a while. Sure enough, it's all set now. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Comment

Ooooo. I like this idea.

Failing that there is always

:)
                I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

oh my god i am not the oldest person here but i am surprised with all this water stuff it is a common known fact that a sudden brust of hot water on cold objects is not a good idea. and even worse is adding any kind of water to the locking system when it will just lock up and freeze again.

dear oh dear

ok apophis has the right idea, you need dry heat to warm up the ice and melt it, to prevent this from happening in the near future you really have to get some wd40 oil and give the lockiong mechanism a good spray. do this at leat once a week when it is very very cold. this stops water getting onto the lock, wateer will not sit on oil. therefore it cant freeze.

WD 40 is a spray oil incase you guys have something different in the us, you can get it at any warehouse and it is not expensive. it just sprays a thin layer over the lock and sticks, it will actually prevent rust aswell.

another good idea is to have a can of anti freeze, the stuff used for windshields, not sure if it will work on it effectively but it should.

just a few tips to try, incase it happens again and while its cold give the WD 40 thing a try it should prevent it from happening again.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

if you mix salt into it, it wont freeze.

Comment

not a good idea, the salt will become lodged in the mechanisn and could act like sand paper to the wroking parts and wear them down, although if you have no oil or anti freeze on the day it will melt the ice.. but make sure you wash the salt off as soon as possible.. when its warmer.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

salt dissolves in water.

Comment

urine has salt in it :P
                          flux
                          [tg-c1]

Comment

Hence why urine dissolves in water.

DUH.

Wyzcrak
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

In college once, a Minnesotan told me to use alcohol since the hot water was freezing faster than it could help. The lock was dribbling ice - I couldn't get into the car to start it - I was alone and the nearest gas station that might have one of those lock-defroster things was over two miles away. Not having any rubbing alcohol in the house (yes I grew up in Texas but I did understand that's what Sean actually meant by "alcohol") - I tried one of the various alcoholic drinks in the house, figuring no one would miss the nasty tequila...

The driver's door lock never worked right after that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X