What'll you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What'll you do?

What'll you do when the next crisis happens? The next mall, club, or place of work is shot up?

What'll you do when its found out that it was motivated by sympathy with ISIS or Al Qaeda? (Because this is the only way we care nationally and get outraged at such shootings)

What'll you do when Donald uses that to blame the court system, regardless of whether or not the shooter was born in America? And to rile up a power grab?

We've got four years to go, and a re-election cycle, its bound to happen. Particularly with the mental backflips people go through to condone saying "So-Called Judges", "we must keep 'evil' out", and his SCOTUS nominee back pedaling to make sure he didn't offend the president when he got caught saying "The president's remarks are demoralizing".

Comment

We'll find out much about many things soon enough . . .
      A new national survey suggests that we can no longer take for granted that our fellow citizens will stand up for the rule of law and democracy
      sigpic

Comment

So now you're eagerly awaiting tragedies...

??
        Skud

Comment

Who said eagerly? If anyone is eager for tragedy its Donald, because then, his words, you can blame a judge for a terrorist attack if it happens now.

Anticipating disaster in the face of a literally incompetent executive branch who holds pressers to blast 'fake news' for airing 'real leaks' so he could fire a really nice guy who totally lied and got caught.

Donald is so incompetent that he's wasting the first few months of his full-party governance creating controversy for absolutely no gain. He's so inept at governance that he lashes out at checks and balances, literally assaulting our constitution. He is so authoritarian that he's signing executive orders that are easily blocked within weeks as unconstitutional - but then sends out a guy to say, and how does this not terrify you of all people, "The president will not be questioned".

There is nothing insinuating eager anticipation. If anything there is real fear that people will just let Donald do what ever he will so long as it brings tax cuts, bans abortion, gives the mentally ill all the guns in the world, and make America perform war crimes again (literally, his on the record Foreign Policy).

I want to know if there is a point where Donald can go too far or if principled conservatism will die attached to his scalp.

Comment

I'm keeping you intellectually honest. Nowhere in your original post did you mention the Constitution.

I found Dan Carlin's most recent Common Sense episode to address these concerns perfectly

http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sens...-landing-page/

The Constitution has already been dismantled since Andrew Jackson. The Executive branch you fear right now is one we've created, in particular with the past 30 years. Be careful to step away from all of this and separate yourself from the left/right paradigm. If your faith is in the Constitution, then you should frame your arguments as such.

- tax cuts - if it reduces the size of the government I'm for it.
            - abortions - even Sessions himself has said that Roe v Wade is the law of the land.
            - mentally ill and guns - if you're referring to his reversal of the intrusive prodding regarding Social Security, then you should state that. Instead of stigmatizing the mentally ill as being a bunch of potential terrorists, how about you talk about them as your fellow Americans. They also have rights. As someone who takes great care to seek professional help on a regular basis, I strongly reject your blanketing and stigmatizing of anyone who suffers from "mental illness."
            - War crimes - the executive branch has been committing war crimes over and over since World War II. Again, this is not just him. Where was your dissent when Obama used the drones against American citizens, weddings, and civilians?

I'm just trying to keep you honest. If you want an echo chamber you can go to the Occupy Democrats facebook page.
            Skud

Comment

First, we all surround ourselves in echo chambers it seems. Such is the case of the extremely hyperpartisan nature we've gotten in this country, and, for better or worse, through the proliferation of any and all voices of any kind (from Carlin here, who seems reasonable, to DailyKOS to the shock jock that is Alex Jones' Infowars persona). But, since I know that is the root of our problems, though I currently think the only real solution is one beating down the other side, I'll enjoy an honest conversation then. (Though frankly I think liberals have only been harmed by attempting cooperation with conservatives)

Changing mental modes from depressed rhetoric to careful deliberation.

If anything, while I certainly would disagree with Carlin on certain things, I think he's speaking truth to power here. The problem is that people haven't really been paying attention to their politics since before either of us were born. To an extent, people have been pushed from being invested in governance for some time. We'll disagree on whether that is a good thing. But I don't think there is much I can add to Carlin's podcast.

My question, then, still stands; does principled conservatism die attached to Donald's scalp? I'd argue that Clinton-era liberalism is the walking dead still unaware of its detached head.

Comment

Liberalism died with Kennedy.
                Eisenhower was the last true conservative, and even he was slipping.
                Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                  Liberalism died with Kennedy.
                  Eisenhower was the last true conservative, and even he was slipping.
                  If that is so, what are we? Have we become disillusioned masses that are easily swayed by the ideas provided to us via the loudest voice?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

When you cross the border late at night in the cold Canadian winter, look me up in Ottawa.
                    Last edited by E-Male; 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM. Reason: sp error
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X