Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this make anyone else...

nervous ?

I mean...at detonation, the gases initially expand at about 26,400 feet per second (8,050 meters per second), and 400 lbs ??...ummm... being that
    less than a pound of C-4 could potentially kill several people, and several military issue M112 blocks of C-4, weighing about 1.25 pounds (half a kilogram) each, could potentially demolish a truck. Imagine the destruction with 400...I hope they find the stuff quickly !

Re: Does this make anyone else...

Most of that stuff will probably never be used. It will be sold, studied and reproduced. And no, it doesen't make me nervous. I live right outside of DC and I never worry about a nuke or whatever, mainly because I don't see a point in worrying. If it happens it happens and if I get vaporized I get vaporized. Of course, that doesen't keep me from being happy that I move about every three years and that the wind here blows east. :)
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

I want to know how it was stolen in the first place. I mean, you know, now that we've got more security precautions and are safer since 9/11 and all.

Someone's losing their job over this one.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

And you can bet money that it wont be the guy who actually screwed up :P

Comment

Inside job?
          "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
            Most of that stuff will probably never be used.
            I'm not sure I'd even say that....

It will be sold, studied and reproduced.
            Sold and reproduced is a bad thing. We're talking 400 lbs. here. It wouldn't take that many pounds to study, then reproduce it. Sold? Yea. Unfortunatly, it could pass to the hands of someone that couldn't bring the stuff into the country, so they just get it here. I haven't seen anymore on this, and I'm really curious how someone managed to make that much of it disappear, and how long has it been missing before the loss was discovered.

And no, it doesen't make me nervous. I live right outside of DC and I never worry about a nuke or whatever, mainly because I don't see a point in worrying.
            I guess I don't "worry" so much as have a concern how it got away, and where it's headed. I don't live, or even go to any areas that would be likely targets of any attacks, I just fear for those that do live and frequent target areas.

Comment

They have issued a $50,000 reward for information on this. $50,000 for something that could potentially destroy Billions, depending on how it's used. Not to mention potential human casualties, which have no monetary value.
              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by phyllis
                I'm not sure I'd even say that....

Sold and reproduced is a bad thing. We're talking 400 lbs. here. It wouldn't take that many pounds to study, then reproduce it. Sold? Yea. Unfortunatly, it could pass to the hands of someone that couldn't bring the stuff into the country, so they just get it here. I haven't seen anymore on this, and I'm really curious how someone managed to make that much of it disappear, and how long has it been missing before the loss was discovered.

I guess I don't "worry" so much as have a concern how it got away, and where it's headed. I don't live, or even go to any areas that would be likely targets of any attacks, I just fear for those that do live and frequent target areas.

1. It wont. It will be broken up into many, many little pieces and then sold to those who wish to study and then produce it, or sell the knowledge of how to do so.

2. see above statment. As to the last sentence, I am sure everybody is thinking the same thing

3. I just don't see a point in worrying about somthing you can't do anything about. I have lived in quite a few high-priority target areas in my 14 yrs on this earth, and I suppose I'm just used to it.
                War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

If you were looking to reproduce it, wouldn't it make more sense to go after the production documentation? You'd probably have to cut through less steel to get to that.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                    If you were looking to reproduce it, wouldn't it make more sense to go after the production documentation? You'd probably have to cut through less steel to get to that.
                    Its a close contest of what would help more in study and reproduction, the finished product or the documents. But I do think that the production documents would be locked up as tight or more so than the actual explosives.

Comment

recovered

Comment

jeez, it was recovered before i knew it was stolen, i really gotta stop playing Warcraft