• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned X-Box 360 commercial?

http://www.break.com/index/xbox360banned.html

Kinda funny.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Banned X-Box 360 commercial?

Love the creativity (and the humor's not missed on me), but the only way I can accept the violence in games (for myself or my yet unborn children) is that they're such a departure from reality. That just brings it too close to home for me.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm 100% sure this is the commercial with the finger pistols and crap, which I've seen more times than years I've been alive, and as such, I have an opinion previously formed. I don't think it should have been banned. It's not like it portrays the people ripping eachother apart with .50 calibre rifles or something.

Comment

I agree with AzzMan. There was an article in UK PCGamer recently about violence in video games. One of the main things people miss is that alot of people wouldnt be playing games if there wasnt violence, but this is totally different. Its clear that despite reprisenting violence, it is detached from it. If the boards that moniter this think that the population is not mature enough to view things like this, then no one should be allowed to watch TV itself.
        |TG-4th|MalyJay
        [GMT] [EST+5]

Comment

First off.... lmao. That is hysterical.

Next. BAD way to promote something in today's world. I completely agree with Wyzcrak on this one. Way too close to reality. It's like telling worrisome people "If you get an XBOX 360, you are dropping them one step away from reality violence." Replace XBOX 360 with any console, or just games in general... and *cocks finger* bam. You double the strength of the anti-videogame-violence party.

Comment

Probably it was never intended for tv, just some more sub-viral marketing.

(Like the terrorist blowing himself up in the VW commercial, or the Ford Ka commercial where the cats head gets cut off in the sunroof.)

People love to see things they think are banned.
            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
            Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I don't see the commercial as being that violent. Remember when we were kids? Y'know, before video games? Shooting each other with our fingers was the only First Person Shooter around! And it was played precisely like that video shows (with the occasional "you missed" "did not" "did too!" "DID NOT!").

I think we've become too politically correct.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                I don't see the commercial as being that violent. Remember when we were kids? Y'know, before video games? Shooting each other with our fingers was the only First Person Shooter around! And it was played precisely like that video shows (with the occasional "you missed" "did not" "did too!" "DID NOT!").

totally agree...people of our generation understand what this commercial is showing and did a really cool job at showing it...but since people now a days dont know how to parent and let the TV and the local video guy tell our kids what they can and cant watch or play, things like this will be banned until parents are beatin for being retartds...

id go outside and try and finger FPS with the nieghbor kids but im scared theyd pull a gun out on me....
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

First off, a kitten was executed within seconds of this thread being opened.

Second, if you thought that commercial was a bit much, check this out:
                  Gym Class (Violent/Graphic)

It's a sketch done by a sketch comedy group called Olde English. They jokingly claim that Microsoft stole the idea for their commercial from them.
                  |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

does this mean that anyone that purchases an XBOX 360 is going to die? If so love it!

btw still waiting till the price drops :O

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality

Exactly, I know some people that won't let their kids play with toy guns. Personally, I think its in a little boys nature to have a fascination with guns and its healthy for our imagination.

Same goes for fighting, the schools here have a zero tolerance for bullying and fighting in school. Automatic suspension, no appeal.

IMO, What they fail to recognise is that many of those positive and negative interactions are just as important to child development as arts and crafts, music lessons and parental love and affection.
                      Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                      Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                        Exactly, I know some people that won't let their kids play with toy guns. Personally, I think its in a little boys nature to have a fascination with guns and its healthy for our imagination.

Same goes for fighting, the schools here have a zero tolerance for bullying and fighting in school. Automatic suspension, no appeal.

IMO, What they fail to recognise is that many of those positive and negative interactions are just as important to child development as arts and crafts, music lessons and parental love and affection.
                        I think you're right on.

My wife and I have been kicking around the concept of homeschooling our 5 year old. He's in kindergarten right now and we're quickly finding out just how pitiful the Texas school system is... The problem is that we'd be unable to teach our son the life lessons that are learned by interacting with his peers.

Anyway, yes, the first video I don't see as being violent. The video that has the blood splatter (Gym Class) is a completely different ballgame, though, IMO.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Let me clarify my position. -I- do not see it as violent. -I- do not feel it is a bad commercial, etc. I believe the -society today- looks badly upon it (obviously). The -society today- sees it as violent and possibly obscene. I agree completely with CingularDuality that we have grown far too politically correct. FAR too much. I do apologize if I offend anyone, but I should be able to call those with darker skins black (accordingly). I do not always know peoples' nationalities, and it is just plain rude to call them something else. There's Black, White, Indian and Asian. Christmas isn't Christian, it's a general holiday (with a deeper meaning to Christians). I should be able to say Merry Christmas to a Jewish person and not have them be offended, because this is how I see it: Merry Christmas has become associated more with the "winter holidays" than Christmas itself, for me. Heck, my Jewish grandfather wishes me a Merry Christmas, yet not a Happy Hannukah unless we're currently celebrating it. Those who aren't religious at all wish others a Merry Christmas.

And lord I could go on for a while. If this extends into a discussion (it should get its own thread if it does, though it probably already has one. Don't kill the kitties!) I would expand there.

Again, if I have offended then I deeply apologize, for it was not my intention at all. You shouldn't be offended is the point I am making, but I do respect the individual views that every person carries.

Sorry for the sidetrack. :p

/rant
                          Last edited by poe; 12-31-2005, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poe
                            I should be able to say Merry Christmas to a Jewish person and not have them be offended, because this is how I see it: Merry Christmas has become associated more with the "winter holidays" than Christmas itself, for me. Heck, my Jewish grandfather wishes me a Merry Christmas, yet not a Happy Hannukah unless we're currently celebrating it. Those who aren't religious at all wish others a Merry Christmas.
                            I dont think its neccisarily other peoples getting offended, Im more inclined to say its do-gooders. People in government/places of power that are some how obcessed with not offending anyone and trying to keep people 'equal'.
                            Again, i think its down to maturity when dealing with censorships. The gym class video felt slightly sinister with the blood where as the 360 video appeared quite playful(imho).
                            Parents, when they see children playing guns or similair games are more likely to see the consiquences of them fighting with real guns as oppossed to the toys they are actually playing with. And also find it easier to (i can only assume out of overconcern for their children) take the opinion that they are more likely to use real guns on each other if they are using toy guns on each other. (remember that this applies to those parents that that liberal in the upbringing of their children)
                            Personally, i think that children are not more likely to go out and commit henase crimes if they view images of violence etc., i mean if that were true then we would have one hell of an epidemic.
                            The biggest problem with this issue is that adults should well be able to cope with being told merry christmas from a christian if they are of another religion or be able to cope if they saw some domestic violence on a tv daytime drama, but children....Children vary in maturity irrespective of age, which makes it difficult to attach censorships of age to different mediums.
                            |TG-4th|MalyJay
                            [GMT] [EST+5]

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell

The great thing about that, by the way, is that even if someone attacks someone else and the victim just takes it without a fight, they're both suspended for fighting.

BLINDNESS TO THE SITUATION IS FUN!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X