Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is someone annoying you? Send 'em to jail!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is someone annoying you? Send 'em to jail!

No, this isn't Monopoly I'm talking about either. Read about it here.

On a related note, I'm assembling a team of creative professionals to work on a new spy series: "Troll Bond, License to Annoy". The first epiode is set in my parent's basement. :D

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: Is someone annoying you? Send 'em to jail!

Wow...just wow. What will they think of next?
    |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

It rewrites existing telephone harassment law to prohibit anyone from using the Internet "without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy."
      Popups illegal. Zorak, you go to prison!
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

I suspect that the US Government's real strategy to bring to the rest of the world the same freedoms and liberties that Americans enjoy actually involves getting rid of most of those freedoms and liberties entirely.

You have to admit, it would make the job much easier.
        |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Hilarious.

Comment

Do you suppose this would have passed if RTBA was in force?
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
              My.... What a spectacular idea!
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                Democratic Republic: the people elect representatives to govern.

Democracy: the people govern themselves.

I don't know that it matters in this instance, though, as I think the American people would be too lazy to read the text of bills before voting, too.
                Isn't that representative democracy versus direct democracy? I thought that JMJ's article underscored the difference between a pure democratic government and a pure republican government.

Originally posted by JMJ
                you should be thankful we aren't a Democracy.
                I'm having a hard time following your meaning on this also...

On another note, the RTBA seems to be a brilliant piece of legislation. I am mighty confused about how some of the legislation considered by the US Houses comes together; for instance, a recent bill was just defeated that included defense spending and drilling in the arctic. How are those items relevant? The RTBA seems like it may do the trick to start having people put sufficiently similar legislation together, but to avoid what seems to be trickery.

Dice.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

The drilling piece was introduced using the argument that oil reserves are a national security matter. Congress did what it always does with important and difficult issues: it punted.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                    The drilling piece was introduced using the argument that oil reserves are a national security matter. Congress did what it always does with important and difficult issues: it punted.
                    I understand that US Naval Petroleum reserve No. 14 is up there. But I think this drilling stuff is largely commercial in nature. I could be wrong though, since I don't know the details.

Was it Congress that punted? I thought that the bill was defeated in the Senate.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Congress is the house and the senate combined. The House will often pass legislation knowing full well it will die in the Senate. It's a nice way of allowing congressmen to make consequence-free statements.

Things that are commercial in nature are also part of national security, first of all, and second of all, in a time of true crisis, the commercial entities in the USA can be converted to being part of the War machine speedy-quick. Either way, if Exxon has a large presence in Alaska instead of Dubai, then events in the middle east have a smaller impact on Exxon, you, and me. It undercuts the argument that the USA is stealing anyone's oil, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                        No, this isn't Monopoly I'm talking about either. Read about it here.

On a related note, I'm assembling a team of creative professionals to work on a new spy series: "Troll Bond, License to Annoy". The first epiode is set in my parent's basement. :D
                        After reading and searching through some 170+ odd pages of H.R. 3402, I have been unable to even find the WORD "annoy" in the text.

Would someone else care to take a look?

http://www.tacticalsites.com/~apophis/h3402.pdf
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

H.R. 3402 Section 113;
                          SEC. 113. PREVENTING CYBERSTALKING.
                          (a) IN GENERAL.—Paragraph (1) of section 223(h) of the Communications
                          Act of 1934 (47 U.S.C. 223(h)(1)) is amended—
                          (1) in subparagraph (A), by striking ‘‘and’’ at the end;
                          (2) in subparagraph (B), by striking the period at the
                          end and inserting ‘‘; and’’; and
                          (3) by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:
                          ‘‘(C) in the case of subparagraph (C) of subsection
                          (a)(1), includes any device or software that can be used
                          to originate telecommunications or other types of communications
                          that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by
                          the Internet (as such term is defined in section 1104 of
                          the Internet Tax Freedom Act (47 U.S.C. 151 note)).’’.
                          (b) RULE OF CONSTRUCTION.—This section and the amendment
                          made by this section may not be construed to affect the meaning
                          given the term ‘‘telecommunications device’’ in section 223(h)(1)
                          of the Communications Act of 1934, as in effect before the date
                          of the enactment of this section.

Comment

Found it.. It's not actually in H.R. 3402 but in the Communications Act of 1934.

It also specifies that there needs to be an intent to annoy. So an individual would need to prove intent as opposed to just being able to prove that they were passively annoyed by something that someone else wrote.

It's being spun quite differently though. I would equate it to someone accidentally bumping you in a parking lot and you trying to put them in jail for attempting vehicular manslaughter.

Section 223 of the Communications Act of 1934;
                            SEC. 223. [47 U.S.C. 223] OBSCENE OR HARASSING TELEPHONE
                            CALLS IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA OR IN INTERSTATE OR
                            FOREIGN COMMUNICATIONS.
                            (a) Whoever--
                            (1) in interstate or foreign communications--
                            (A) by means of a telecommunications device knowingly--
                            (i) makes, creates, or solicits, and
                            (ii) initiates the transmission of,
                            any comment, request, suggestion, proposal, image, or
                            other communication which is obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or
                            indecent, with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass another
                            person;

(B) by means of a telecommunications device knowingly--
                            (i) makes, creates, or solicits, and
                            (ii) initiates the transmission of,
                            any comment, request, suggestion, proposal, image, or
                            other communication which is obscene or indecent, knowing that
                            the recipient of the communication is under 18 years of age,
                            regardless of whether the maker of such communication placed the
                            call or initiated the communication;
                            (C) makes a telephone call or utilizes a telecommunications
                            device, whether or not conversation or communication ensues,
                            without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse,
                            threaten, or harass any person at the called number or who receives
                            the communications;
                            (D) makes or causes the telephone of another repeatedly or
                            continuously to ring, with intent to harass any person at the called
                            number; or
                            (E) makes repeated telephone calls or repeatedly initiates
                            communication with a telecommunications device, during which
                            conversation or communication ensues, solely to harass any person
                            at the called number or who receives the communication; or
                            (2) knowingly permits any telecommunications facility under his
                            control to be used for any activity prohibited by paragraph (1) with the
                            intent that it be used for such activity,
                            shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned not more
                            than two years, or both.
                            (b)(1) Whoever knowingly--
                            (A) within the United States, by means of telephone, makes
                            (directly or by recording device) any obscene communication for
                            commercial purposes to any person, regardless of whether the maker of
                            such communication placed the call; or
                            (B) permits any telephone facility under such person's control to be
                            used for an activity prohibited by subparagraph (A),
                            shall be fined in accordance with title 18, United States Code, or
                            imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
                            (2) Whoever knowingly--
                            (A) within the United States, by means of telephone, makes
                            (directly or by recording device) any indecent communication for
                            commercial purposes which is available to any person under 18 years of
                            age or to any other person without that person's consent, regardless of
                            whether the maker of such communication placed the call; or
                            (B) permits any telephone facility under such person's control to be
                            used for an activity prohibited by subparagraph (A), shall be fined not more
                            than $50,000 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
                            (3) It is a defense to prosecution under paragraph (2) of this subsection
                            that the defendant restricted access to the prohibited communication to persons 18
                            years of age or older in accordance with subsection (c) of this section and with
                            such procedures as the Commission may prescribe by regulation.
                            (4) In addition to the penalties under paragraph (1), whoever, within the
                            United States, intentionally violates paragraph (1) or (2) shall be subject to a fine
                            of not more than $50,000 for each violation. For purposes of this paragraph, each
                            day of violation shall constitute a separate violation.
                            (5)(A) In addition to the penalties under paragraphs (1), (2), and (5),
                            whoever, within the United States, violates paragraph (1) or (2) shall be subject to
                            a civil fine of not more than $50,000 for each violation. For purposes of this
                            paragraph, each day of violation shall constitute a separate violation.
                            (B) A fine under this paragraph may be assessed either--
                            (i) by a court, pursuant to civil action by the Commission or any
                            attorney employed by the Commission who is designated by the
                            Commission for such purposes, or
                            (ii) by the Commission after appropriate administrative
                            proceedings.
                            (6) The Attorney General may bring a suit in the appropriate district court
                            of the United States to enjoin any act or practice which violates paragraph (1) or
                            (2). An injunction may be granted in accordance with the Federal Rules of Civil
                            Procedure.
                            (c)(1) A common carrier within the District of Columbia or within any
                            State, or in interstate or foreign commerce, shall not, to the extent technically
                            feasible, provide access to a communication specified in subsection (b) from the
                            telephone of any subscriber who has not previously requested in writing the carrier
                            to provide access to such communication if the carrier collects from subscribers an
                            identifiable charge for such communication that the carrier remits, in whole or in
                            part, to the provider of such commuication.
                            (2) Except as provided in paragraph (3), no cause of action may be brought
                            in any court or administrative agency against any common carrier, or any of its
                            affiliates, including their officers, directors, employees, agents, or authorized
                            representatives on account of--
                            (A) any action which the carrier demonstrates was taken in good
                            faith to restrict access pursuant to paragraph (1) of this subsection; or
                            (B) any access permitted--
                            (i) in good faith reliance upon the lack of any representation
                            by a provider of communciations that communications provided by
                            that provider are communications specified in subsection (b), or
                            (ii) because a specific representation by the provider did not
                            allow the carrier, acting in good faith, a sufficient period to restrict
                            access to communications described in subsection (b).
                            (3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) of this subsection, a provider of
                            communications services to which subscribers are denied access pursuant to
                            paragraph (1) of this subsection may bring an action for a declaratory judgment or
                            similar action in a court. Any such action shall be limited to the question of
                            whether the communications which the provider seeks to provide fall within the
                            category of communications to which the carrier will provide access only to
                            subscribers who have previously requested such access.
                            (d) Whoever--
                            (1) in interstate or foreign communications knowingly--
                            (A) uses an interactive computer service to send to a
                            specific person or persons under 18 years of age, or
                            (B) uses any interactive computer service to display in a
                            manner available to a person under 18 years of age,
                            any comment, request, suggestion, proposal, image, or other
                            communication that, in context, depicts or describes, in terms patently
                            offensive as measured by contemporary community standards, sexual or
                            excretory activities or organs, regardless of whether the user of such
                            service placed the call or initiated the communication; or
                            (2) knowingly permits any telecommunications facility under such
                            person's control to be used for an activity prohibited by paragraph (1) with
                            the intent that it be used for such activity,
                            shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned not more
                            than two years, or both.
                            (e) In addition to any other defenses available by law:
                            (1) No person shall be held to have violated subsection (a) or (d)
                            solely for providing access or connection to or from a facility, system, or
                            network not under that person's control, including transmission,
                            downloading, intermediate storage, access software, or other related
                            capabilities that are incidental to providing such access or connection that
                            does not include the creation of the content of the communication.
                            (2) The defenses provided by paragraph (1) of this subsection shall
                            not be applicable to a person who is a conspirator with an entity actively
                            involved in the creation or knowing distribution of communications that
                            violate this section, or who knowingly advertises the availability of such
                            communications.
                            (3) The defenses provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection shall
                            not be applicable to a person who provides access or connection to a
                            facility, system, or network engaged in the violation of this section that is
                            owned or controlled by such person.
                            (4) No employer shall be held liable under this section for the
                            actions of an employee or agent unless the employee's or agent's conduct is
                            within the scope of his or her employment or agency and the employer (A)
                            having knowledge of such conduct, authorizes or ratifies such conduct, or
                            (B) recklessly disregards such conduct.
                            (5) It is a defense to a prosecution under subsection (a)(1)(B) or
                            (d), or under subsection (a)(2) with respect to the use of a facility for an
                            activity under subsection (a)(1)(B) that a person--
                            (A) has taken, in good faith, reasonable, effective, and
                            appropriate actions under the circumstances to restrict or prevent
                            access by minors to a communication specified in such subsections,
                            which may involve any appropriate measures to restrict minors
                            from such communications, including any method which is feasible
                            under available technology; or
                            (B) has restricted access to such communication by
                            requiring use of a verified credit card, debit account, adult access
                            code, or adult personal identification number.
                            (6) The Commission may describe measures which are reasonable,
                            effective, and appropriate to restrict access to prohibited communications
                            under subsection (d). Nothing in this section authorizes the Commission to
                            enforce, or is intended to provide the Commission with the authority to
                            approve, sanction, or permit, the use of such measures. The Commission
                            shall have no enforcement authority over the failure to utilize such
                            measures. The Commission shall not endorse specific products relating to
                            such measures. The use of such measures shall be admitted as evidence of
                            good faith efforts for purposes of paragraph (5) in any action arising under
                            subsection (d). Nothing in this section shall be construed to treat interactive
                            computer services as common carriers or telecommunications carriers.
                            (f)(1) No cause of action may be brought in any court or administrative
                            agency against any person on account of any activity that is not in violation of any
                            law punishable by criminal or civil penalty, and that the person has taken in good
                            faith to implement a defense authorized under this section or otherwise to restrict
                            or prevent the transmission of, or access to, a communication specified in this
                            section.
                            (2) No State or local government may impose any liability for commercial
                            activities or actions by commercial entities, nonprofit libraries, or institutions of
                            higher education in connection with an activity or action described in subsection
                            (a)(2) or (d) that is inconsistent with the treatment of those activities or actions
                            under this section: Provided, however, That nothing herein shall preclude any State
                            or local government from enacting and enforcing complementary oversight,
                            liability, and regulatory systems, procedures, and requirements, so long as such
                            systems, procedures, and requirements govern only intrastate services and do not
                            result in the imposition of inconsistent rights, duties or obligations on the provision
                            of interstate services. Nothing in this subsection shall preclude any State or local
                            government from governing conduct not covered by this section.
                            (g) Nothing in subsection (a), (d), (e), or (f) or in the defenses to
                            prosecution under subsection (a) or (d) shall be construed to affect or limit the
                            application or enforcement of any other Federal law.
                            (h) For purposes of this section--
                            (1) The use of the term ''telecommunications device'' in this section-
                            -
                            (A) shall not impose new obligations on broadcasting
                            station licensees and cable operators covered by obscenity and
                            indecency provisions elsewhere in this Act; and
                            (B) does not include an interactive computer service.
                            (2) The term ''interactive computer service'' has the meaning
                            provided in section 230(e)(2).
                            (3) The term ''access software'' means software (including client or
                            server software) or enabling tools that do not create or provide the content
                            of the communication but that allow a user to do any one or more of the
                            following:
                            (A) filter, screen, allow, or disallow content;
                            (B) pick, choose, analyze, or digest content; or
                            (C) transmit, receive, display, forward, cache, search,
                            subset, organize, reorganize, or translate content.
                            (4) The term ''institution of higher education'' has the meaning
                            provided in section 1201 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C.
                            1141).
                            (5) The term ''library'' means a library eligible for participation in
                            State-based plans for funds under title III of the Library Services and
                            Construction Act (20 U.S.C. 355e et seq.).

Comment

Ah. The confusion might be that I am Canadian. I guess I'm kinda thankful that you guys are a republic, but probably only in the same way that Americans are thankful that Canada is a constitutional monarchy.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X