• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA - Democracy or Republic, or Both?

Originally posted by Kent Brockman
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Democracy does not work
    ---

Re: Is someone annoying you? Send 'em to jail!

Originally posted by Kent Brockman
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Democracy does not work

I second this stament.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
      I second this stament.
      Good thing America isn't a democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
        Good thing America isn't a democracy.
        Are you kidding? Its a golden example of the failure of democracy. Don't get me wrong, I love my country and will support it, right or wrong, but look around you, it's a posterchild for the failure of democracy. No more than any other democratic country, though.
        War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Technically, it's a republic, but there's plenty of grey in that area.
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Right. And if the USA is a golden example of failure, then I'm curious to know what criteria one might use to define success.

Back on topic, funny law. Good to know Congress is looking out for us!

Comment

I have to agree, in part, with leejo. Can you provide some elaboration on why you think that, Leonidas? JMJ, a few comments from you would also be helpful in deciphering your meaning...

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
              [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
              Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                I have to agree, in part, with leejo.
                Just close your eyes, grit your teeth, and think of mother England: it gets easier. :D

Comment

I have to agree, in part, with leejo. Can you provide some elaboration on why you think that, Leonidas? JMJ, a few comments from you would also be helpful in deciphering your meaning...
                  America is indeed a Republic, you should be thankful we aren't a Democracy.

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/Am...ts/demrep.html

My guess is that 90%+ of Americans would wrongly call us a Democracy....we are a stupid country who is very misinformed :(

Comment

It's like Churchill said, democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others that have been tried.

Personally, though, I prefer: "democracy is based on the principle that the common man knows what he wants and deserves to get it good and hard." ;)
                    |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Democratic Republic: the people elect representatives to govern.

Democracy: the people govern themselves.

I don't know that it matters in this instance, though, as I think the American people would be too lazy to read the text of bills before voting, too.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Isn't that representative democracy versus direct democracy? I thought that JMJ's article underscored the difference between a pure democratic government and a pure republican government.

I'm having a hard time following your meaning on this also...

On another note, the RTBA seems to be a brilliant piece of legislation. I am mighty confused about how some of the legislation considered by the US Houses comes together; for instance, a recent bill was just defeated that included defense spending and drilling in the arctic. How are those items relevant? The RTBA seems like it may do the trick to start having people put sufficiently similar legislation together, but to avoid what seems to be trickery.

Dice.
                        That link I supplied describes America to a "T". The USA is the "Republic" in that link, we are not a Democracy.

Comment

How many people have recited the pledge day in and day out in school? Kinda funny that most of them probably never picked up on this:

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            I don't know that it matters in this instance, though, as I think the American people would be too lazy to read the text of bills before voting, too.
                            That can be dealt with by requiring that 50% of eligible voters approve a law, not just 50% of those who show up. Imagine trying to convince 50% of the electorate of anything.

At one time much of the US FedGov was elected in a very indirect way. The Prez is still elected by the electoral college, which is appointed by the States. At one time the Senators were appointed by the States. We're becoming more and more a direct democracy, because technology has made it possible. Remember that the country was founded when it took weeks for communication to move from one end of the country to the other. That's the real reason for needing representation. Now we might as well vote directly, but we need a compensating mechanism for introducing reasonable hysteresis, and a 50% rule like I propose could do that.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                              Right. And if the USA is a golden example of failure, then I'm curious to know what criteria one might use to define success.

Back on topic, funny law. Good to know Congress is looking out for us!
                              I never said my country was a failure, on the contrary, it is the single most powerful and influential country on earth. It is simply a golden example as we are the second largest country on earth (Bigger than China, second to Russia) and the most powerful. No other democracy can compare to the scale of this one. Do not doubt my loyalty to my country, that is one spot where I am very defensive. :)

What criteria, you ask?

1. Well, it cannot be accepted that politicians are largely scumbags, for one thing. We openly admit that politics is the realm of the corrupt and the liars. How sad is that? Everyone knows its true, but its just normal, for some stupid reason.

2. We need to have more than a 00.01% voter turnout. The only way to make this happen when the average citizen has the attention span of a squirrel is to make it mandatory. If you are too lazy to decide who will run your country for four to eight years, than you are a sad example of what a citizen should be.

3. Make politics serious again. Take out the entertainment, the flashes and the music, make it nothing but ideas and...politics. Make it so that it is not a business, with people to be won over by oneliners, concerts and gimmics desinged to catch their squirrel-like attention. Make it real and sincere. An impossible feat, I know, but you asked what the criteria were.

I am sure that this list could be added onto, but I will not. That is my two cents. I simply do not have enough faith in "The People"(Who constantly reveal themselves to be cowardly half-wits) to belive in democracy.

Oh, and fun fact! America has been an empire since 1898! Indeed, our war with the spanish and its resulting gains in territory won us that status. A partial protectorate of Cuba(Which lasts to this day) and our acquisition of the PI along with others is what caused it. I do not know if we retain that status, though. Cool/Interesting, huh?
                              Last edited by Leonidas; 01-10-2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X