News from the Front

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from the Front

Read an interesting letter from a 1LT in Iraq responding to an article in which Senator Clinton holds forth on body armor and President Bush.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/article...y.asp?ID=99960

Re: News from the Front

Interesting letter. I've always taken the complaints about lack of armor as lack of reinforced armor for the light vehicles such as Humvees and transport trucks, not body armor. I've yet to see a picture of a soldier in the field that isn't wearing standard body armor, which is pretty damn strong as far as I can tell.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

That was my understanding as well, Tarpan.
      |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

Stories appeared a few days ago about a Pentagon study. These reports have described the study's findings as determining that the US military needs to improve individual armor to prevent more deaths. Sen. Clinton has jumped on these stories to criticize the President's administration with regard to doing right by the soldiers.

I guess to those of us who hate the President and think he's an idiot, these stories confirm what we've always believed. To those of us who think Senator Clinton is an opportunistic jerk who doesn't really care about the troops just tactical opportunities, her reaction confirms what we've always believed. Circle of life.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
          I guess to those of us who hate the President and think he's an idiot, these stories confirm what we've always believed. To those of us who think Senator Clinton is an opportunistic jerk who doesn't really care about the troops just tactical opportunities, her reaction confirms what we've always believed. Circle of life.
          Oddly enough, for me it does both. :)
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

Hmm...that story about the individual armor is new to me. I haven't heard much from my sources about individual armor issues, so I don't know what to think of that story.

As for Hillary Clinton...I really, really don't care for her. I don't even have a good reason. It's just something about the way she carries herself. It started for me during the State of the Union address after September 11th. Something about the way she acted during the President's speech just "erked" me. I've disliked her ever since.
            |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_Swift
              As for Hillary Clinton...I really, really don't care for her. I don't even have a good reason. It's just something about the way she carries herself. It started for me during the State of the Union address after September 11th. Something about the way she acted during the President's speech just "erked" me. I've disliked her ever since.
              Democracy at work, ladies and gentlemen ;)
              |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                Democracy at work, ladies and gentlemen ;)
                I can live with that. Let's just say that she did not make a good first impression on me. Just bear in mind that if I was ever to make a judgement on her policies, my personal opinion of her wouldn't affect it. This isn't a great analogy, but I think Terrel Owens is a total ass...but I respect his athletic abilities.
                |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

The body armor issue is longstanding with the US forces in Iraq. (as is the vehicle armor). A mass quantity of body armor shipped to the forces was shown to be defective, but in general, the troops ARE wearing proper body armor.
                  Now,
                  The fact that they are driving in unarmored vehicles is an embaressment to the USA. Why dont we take some of that oil we are sitting on in Iraq, sell it and buy some proper armored Humvees and bradlys for the troops?
                  The IED's are destroying them every day and the damage could be less lethal if they had proper vehicle armor

All I ask for is communication

Comment

There was no such thing as a properly armored Humvee a few years ago, and Bradleys ARE armored.

Humvees were designed to be used when armor wasn't required. They are the modern jeep, not a mini Abrams M1A1. IMO the military has been surprisingly nimble in adapting to the problem.

Comment

Uh, it's not your oil.
                      |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
                        The body armor issue is longstanding with the US forces in Iraq. (as is the vehicle armor). A mass quantity of body armor shipped to the forces was shown to be defective, but in general, the troops ARE wearing proper body armor.
                        Now,
                        The fact that they are driving in unarmored vehicles is an embaressment to the USA. Why dont we take some of that oil we are sitting on in Iraq, sell it and buy some proper armored Humvees and bradlys for the troops?
                        The IED's are destroying them every day and the damage could be less lethal if they had proper vehicle armor
                        I've never seen a single soldier that didn't have a vest with plates. Even the Iraqi forces have vests with plates. If I recall, the article is mostly about how they think the plates should be larger. Unfortunately, you can only add so much armor to a soldier before their mobility is seriously affected (and there's always the heat issue).

The military really has done a good job armoring vehicles, unfortunately it took some embaressment in the media to light a fire under their ass. Nowadays, there aren't many vehicles on the roads that aren't armored. When I got there, all we had was some steel plates welded to our doors:

By the time we left, all our trucks were fully armored and we'd gotten several brand new, armored humvees:

Unfortunately, armor won't solve everything for two main reasons:
                        1. Armor kits don't exist for all the vehicles we use (like the old 5 tons).
                        2. The insurgents adapt. The more armor we got, the more powerful they'd make their IED's. They also started using different types of weapons, like firebombs, shaped charges, and kamikaze attacks.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X