Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

and now for something completely different (music recommendation)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and now for something completely different (music recommendation)

you guys heard Matisyahu yet? (I know he's starting to getting radio play lately)

anyway, he's got an album out called "Live at Stubb's" and I highly recommend it...

The music is hard to describe, but... it'd say it's dub/reggae at it's core, but it's also got a lot of Phish and Beastie Boys flavor to it... :row__687: lol

If Lynerd Skynerd is as modern as you get, you may not like it, but... I personally find difficult to stay still while listening. Plus the whole album has a really positive vibe to it... (no booty, herb, or nine references - so i guess if you're a violent, ganja smokin pimp you may not like it either :row__593: )

anyway - here's a sample (on the publisher's website) in .MP3... it's a tracks on the live album: http://www.jdubrecords.org/music/1.%...ubb%27s%29.mp3

Re: and now for something completely different (music recommendation)

Yea, i heard one of his songs played on 99X the other day. It's awesome!

"REMEMBER! Pillage first THEN Burn!"

Comment

for a shock, listen to the song, then checkout this video:

http://matisyahu.org/index.php?secti...bum_id=0&id=31

he's not who you think he is :row__593:

Comment

I just came across this record a couple week's ago. Apparently it was recorded here in Austin last year. Hasidic reggae - who would've thunk it? Aside from the big single (King without a Crown?), I really like this album.
        Beatnik

Comment

agreed... not what i imagined first time my friend "let me borrow" the album...

"Hasidic Reggae? Hasidic Reggae. In the crowded New York reggae scene, Matisyahu literally stands out like no other. Beyond his versatile voice which ranges from sweet and fluid, to rough and rugged, he's a very unexpected face; standing over six feet tall, wearing the traditional garb of a Hasidic male. With his long beard and black hat, this 24-yr-old lyricist, MC, and beatboxer is a singular performer, whose power, poetry, and skills combine the sounds of Bob Marley and Shlomo Carlebach, yet remaining wholly original. SHAKE OFF THE DUST...ARISE, Matisyahu’s new album out Oct. 12 on JDub Records, presents this remarkable performer as a a new cultural fusion, integrating the power of reggae music into his life in Crown Heights as he lives and studies Jewish texts among Brooklyn's Lubavitch community.

Matisyahu did not grow up an observant Jew; he spent his youth as a seeker, and jumped from one experience to another. After much struggle and determination, he found Hasidic Judaism, and put it all into his music. He transformed himself from a lost teenager searching for meaning to a young man immersed in Jewish study. And while it might sound like kitsch, Matisyahu is 100% real, conscious dancehall reggae."

here's another track of the live album: http://www.jdubrecords.org/music/and...b%27s%29%2Emp3

and here's another one remixed by Bill Laswell: http://www.jdubrecords.org/music/and...l+Dub%29%2Emp3

Comment

I really like that! who'da thunk it?
            Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Nice find, Whiskey. I'd heard this song before, but I never really checked him out before. What a surprise it was to find out he's a Jewish MC. I'm going to have to listen to some more of his stuff.
              |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

I need to acquire this album, it's not something I'd normally be into but the video was great.

Comment

Haven't given this a chance yet, but I am more of a classic rock/ metal guy.

Led Zed, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Bowie, Priest, etc..

|TG-Irr|March4revenge
                  Turning into swiss cheese, one bullet at a time.

Comment

Nice post of the remix. I like the dub effects in it.
                    Beatnik

Comment

I first got into his music about 6 months ago and have both albums. Try "Close my eyes"

Comment

hmm... if your TiVo remote is within arm's reach, he's on letterman tonight...
                        Last edited by WhiskeySix; 01-16-2006, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Wow, this is neat. Nice OT message :)
                          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Yah, Beatnik had him going at the barbeque
                            [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                            [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

barbeque? :row__684:

sigh... when i got in my truck this morning, it said 7 degrees....

<closes eyes, turns up volume>

:row__585:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...